Ultimate Irony? Gun Ranges

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Bulldawg182, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

I've been reading here and elsewhere about all our well-founded complaints about all the establishments like Walmart and many others who either have written policies forbidding CCW or who can and will ask you to leave if you do. Many of us agree actions like these might represent a breach of our rights and have expressed negative response to such treatment and some even display downright anger.

However, it occurred to me recently that many (if not all) gun ranges I've visited just might be equally guilty of the same offense. Most have written rules and prohibitions which forbid entry with a loaded weapon and/or a concealed weapon. These rules range (pardon the pun) from "must be enclosed in a case" to "must be empty with chamber open" or the like.

While I understand the safety issues involved in such rules, I fail to see the difference between this and Walmart or the like denying our right to CCW in their establishments. I simply find it ironic that the very establishments and owners of same who are, for the most part, the champions of our gun rights might just be equally guilty of violating them.

This is not meant to be an indictment of gun ranges or owners but simply an observation on my part.

How do you feel about this? :?:

2. tj2000

tj2000 Guest

Gun stores that don't allow loaded guns in them? Oxymoron

LarryG2,
    The only gunshop that I know in my area that does allow loaded weapons only if you have a GFL is Ed's on Canton RD. If he wasn't to high on his range membership I would consider joining. As far as the others like Pannels (I am a member), Adventure should go Out of buiseness Doors (TRAITORS), and Hot Shots I don't by the insurance BS. After saying that I have seen some pretty uh how to be politicaly correct here, MORONS come in and want to rent guns to shoot. I can understand why these shops don't allow loaded weapons in their shops.
    I do wish they would follow Ed' policy and if you have a permit you should be able to carry like normal.
    My $.02 worth,
    Take care,
    :flame:

3. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

It especially irks me when I go to the "gun" store and they have a big sign on the door that reads "No loaded weapons inside the store. please check all guns at the front"! Or something to that effect (Adventure Outdoors).

Deer Creek gunshop in Marietta has no such sign and they are very friendly.

4. Bulldawg182

It just doesn't seem logical that we expect "non-gun" business proprietors to accept the fact that we can legally carry loaded weapons with a lawful CCW permit and yet the the very ranges who champion those rights, deny them as part of their business plan.

5. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

I guess that is why I always shoot outdoors instead of at one of their indoor ranges!

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It certainly bothers me.

7. Bulldawg182

MP....I want to make it perfectly clear that I am not attacking the owners and employees of gun ranges with my observation. Rather, maybe I'm suggesting that in addition to "targeting" our politicians and the large box retailers, etc who would seek to deny our rights to carry, why not begin a dialog with the owners, employees and operators of the very gun ranges we patronize?

It seems to me if we can't convince those among us that we have the right to carry, then we'll never be successful in convincing the rest of the world.

It's probably time for those who earn their incomes professing to be staunch gun advocates to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk.

8. qre2457

qre2457 Guest

There is a huge difference at a gun range vs a regular establishment. You do not go to Walmart with the intent to pull the weapon out, to use it, etc. At a gun range, you are going to use the gun. It is going to come out of the holster fully loaded and ready to fire. In other places, this only happens in an emergency.

One of the places I went to had a customer walk in, go up to the counter, and pull their gun out. Robbery? Nope, an idiot wanting a magazine "that fit this gun." Can anyone else see how this could have ended?

Now if you could have a policy where no morons would enter your gun range, it would not be a problem.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I understand why they have the policy. That being said...I will not give money to a range or gun shop that says as a GFL holder I cannot carry in their establishment. That is fine...they don't want me to carry and I don't want to give them my money.

The range I always go to allows me to carry, so they get my money.

10. Bulldawg182

I understand clearly that the "opportunity" for a problem is magnified at a gun range, yet I disagree that there is a huge difference. The similarities far outweigh the differences in my opinion. I'm legally permitted and assumed to be competent enough to walk into Walmart with 300 other people with my loaded gun in my waist holster. Yet, the very establishment who sold me that weapon, ammo, holster, etc., refuse me entry while exercising the same right in my attempt to give them more money.

Show me a gun range owner or operator who doesn't profess to be a staunch supporter and advocate of my right to carry. Show me one who won't stand behind the counter and tell you repeatedly how important it is to defend those rights. Then, show me the same guys who won't allow you to exercise em.

It's simple, it's wrong and it's unjustifiable.

11. qre2457

qre2457 Guest

Something just dawned on me after reading your reply. I wonder if some of these places have that rule to simply keep people from carrying a loaded gun in their hand inside the range vs. someone who has it holstered.

Still, aren't IDPA matches (and others) cold ranges as well? Do you go to any of them? Boycott them too. :shock:

I am not trying to be petty, but to be honest I never really thought about not frequenting a range or event that did not allowed carry like I have a store until it was asked here.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I was going to ask what ranges permit it, but you say there is one.

Autrey's Armory used to permit it, but last time I was there, a paper sign on the door prohibited it (must have had an incident?).

13. Bulldawg182

"I wonder if some of these places have that rule to simply keep people from carrying a loaded gun in their hand inside the range vs. someone who has it holstered."

Everyone "inside the range" carries a loaded gun in their hand. No one is permitted to walk into the store area with a holstered, loaded weapon except employees.

The other day, I went to the range unexpectedly and without my normal gear. I had my loaded Glock in my holster in my car. I carried the holstered weapon in the palm of my hand openly along with a box of ammo and ear protection in the other. I was asked to return to my vehicle, remove the clip, remove the weapon from the holster, open the chamber and then come back in.

Just got me thinking about how hypocritical that really is.

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Norm at Bulls Eye says that the sign they have up is mostly to stop the stupid people who come in, pistol in hand with a full mag and one in the pipe.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm a regular at Bullseye. Myself and other regulars carry there frequently. I walked in one day, sat at the counter to BS, and after 15 or 20 minutes said "oops, I forgot to unload my Glock". I was told not to worry about it, that they know me and that I'm not going to do anything stupid or unsafe.

16. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

i agree... it is a pain to unload it in the car then reload it 5 min later in the range....

they didn't have a problem with my friend keeping it in a holster on his hip with no mag in slide closed....

I usually put mine in the glock box and carry it in... i also have my extra preloaded mags in there and hearing protection so it is easy to carry.

Franklins was kinda a pain as I was holster shopping and wanted to bring it in UNLOADED to try it in some holsters since they don't have g19's in stock... they followed me around the store carrying my gun for me....

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I would have not given them a dime.

18. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I keep mine loaded and hidden under my shirt, as usual.

When I get to my shooting lane, I whip out the blaster, grab it sideways and shoot everything downrange except the target.

19. Taurus

Taurus Member

:lol: ROFLMFAO!!! I thought I was the only one that went to the range to try to "aim" past the target! I can reuse my targets more and it costs less when ya don't fill em up with holes!

20. qre2457

qre2457 Guest

So you are the guy who shot my target the other week.

I was aiming and magically a hole appeared in my target. Twice.