Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sad day for dawg fans, uga vIII died of cancer yesterday just short of being 17 months old.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,804 Posts
WoodandSteel said:
Good Lord! 17 months? Perhaps breeding these "perfect" specimens is causing unnecessary health problems?
I agree.

The UGA line has been inbred so much to keep it "pure" that they are scarificing the health of the animals. Each UGA is having a shorter lifespan than his predecessor. If I were a Bulldog fan, I would rather have healthy dogs that were not all pure white than all white dogs that are in bad health and don't live more than two years.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
something is wrong for sure, we just had to put down our cat, she was 18 years old and lived a long life, it hurts to have a pet die, but to only live about 2 to 4 years is crazy, something is goin on, I have had dogs and cats for over 40 years and they all lived long lives.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
I had to go look it up.

11 yrs Uga I ("Hood's Ole Dan", 1956–1966)
07 yrs Uga II ("Ole Dan's Uga", 1966–1972)
09 yrs Uga III ("Seiler's Uga Three", 1972–1981)
10 yrs Uga IV ("Uga III's Magillicuddy/Seiler's Uga Four", 1981–1990)
10 yrs Uga V ("Uga IV's Magillicuddy II", 1990–1999)
10 yrs Uga VI ("Uga V's Whatchagot Loran", 1999–2008)
2 yrs Uga VII ("Uga VI's Loran's Best", (2008–2009)
2 yrs Uga VIII ("Big Bad Bruce", 2010–2011)

The last two, of heart failure and cancer are disturbing, and possibly genetic. All the rest lived pretty normal lives, averaging 9 1/2 years. I'm going to go with it being a sad anomaly.... at least for now.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
I think its ridiculous that the breeders are inbreeding the specie to the point of causing health problems. That needs to be stopped immediately.

Who cares if UGA is pure White? I know I don't! Ridiculous and absurd. RIP UGA VIII.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
EJR914 said:
I think its ridiculous that the breeders are inbreeding the specie to the point of causing health problems. That needs to be stopped immediately.

Who cares if UGA is pure White? I know I don't! Ridiculous and absurd. RIP UGA VIII.
Are they in fact bred that way? I know that up until this one each Uga was ason of the previous, and that he was chosen based on white fur, but I don't know that outside of the past Uga being the father that the line is specifically bred within itself.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,804 Posts
ChipM said:
Are they in fact bred that way? I know that up until this one each Uga was ason of the previous, and that he was chosen based on white fur, but I don't know that outside of the past Uga being the father that the line is specifically bred within itself.
I'll have to see if I can find it again, but I remember reading an artice that said the Syler (spelling?) family was inbreeding the UGA line to keep the bloodline pure.

·
يفخر الكافر
3,938 Posts
Easy solution: become a GA Tech fan. When a yellow jacket dies, a hundred more take its place. :shattered:

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
PETA and the SPCA are going to be all over this. What price white? Bring us a brindle!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my wife and i have a toy poodle 3 years old 8 lbs, and we were glad to find out they live up to 20 years, in fact uncle chi chi is a toy poodle that is 24 years old and still going. :righton:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
11 yrs Uga I ("Hood's Ole Dan", 1956â€"1966)
07 yrs Uga II ("Ole Dan's Uga", 1966â€"1972)
09 yrs Uga III ("Seiler's Uga Three", 1972â€"1981)
10 yrs Uga IV ("Uga III's Magillicuddy/Seiler's Uga Four", 1981â€"1990)
10 yrs Uga V ("Uga IV's Magillicuddy II", 1990â€"1999)
10 yrs Uga VI ("Uga V's Whatchagot Loran", 1999â€"2008)
2 yrs Uga VII ("Uga VI's Loran's Best", (2008â€"2009)
2 yrs Uga VIII ("Big Bad Bruce", 2010â€"2011)
And look at the last two years records. I would off myself too.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
An autopsy has now revealed the cause of death. The poor dog died of embarassment. 8)

·
يفخر الكافر
3,938 Posts
Nullifier said:
An autopsy has now revealed the cause of death. The poor dog died of embarassment. 8)
:popcorn:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nullifier said:
not funny :( what if it was your dog

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
vanguard said:
Nullifier said:
not funny :( what if it was your dog
It was a quip, a throwaway remark. And I heard it this afternoon from two diehard Georgia bulldog fans with season tickets to all home games for the last 15 years. They were wearing UGA clothing and hats when they said it.. So there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts