Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wish I could for my bachelors. One + and I would have made Cum Laude on that.

Nemo

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/univ...-can-choose-grades-in-stress-reduction-policy

University of Georgia students can choose their own grades in ‘stress reduction policy’
Talal Elmasry Posted 10 hours ago

Some University of Georgia students have a way to improve their grade, and no, it doesn’t involve doing extra work, retaking exams or anything like that.

The students can just go ahead and choose the grade they want. The one condition is that the grade has to cause them “stress.â€
This is according to Anthony Gockowski of CampusReform.com, who revealed on Monday that online course syllabi for two fall business courses taught by UGA professor Dr. Richard Watson introduce the “stress reduction policy.â€

It states that a student can simply select their own grades if they “feel unduly stressed†by the ones they earned.

Here’s a look at the policy that’s covered in the story:
Click link above and read rest of the story.

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts
I saw this a week or so ago and keep thinking there has to be more to it than this. It couldn't have gotten out of control this quickly since I graduated college (not from GA) 10 yrs ago.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Some have surmised this is in response to campus carry, but I could find no link.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I had a business psych class where the teacher did something like that. At the end of the semester he told us to pick our grade and write the reason why we thought we deserved it. If he agreed, he'd give us the grade we wrote down. I gave myself a 90, and got it. That class was awful though. Prof was a nice guy but a complete quack.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,414 Posts
Good freaking grief! Reminds me of a 3-question final that took 5 hours to work in a period scheduled for 3 hours, and I finished close to first. The prof was making comments like, "I'm getting a Coke. Watching y'all work is making me sweat!"

... we can probably say with assurance that someone without the
ability to tolerate stressful situations for a period of a week
or more is not good programmer material.
-Weinberg, p. 149

·
Registered
96 Posts
Holey crap !! Really prepared for the real world.. How would you like to hire one of these 'stress free' as an employee.. Insists on setting his/her own work performance grading, and decides to walk off a project when the group dynamics get stressful. How much did they say this education costs ?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
It couldn't have gotten out of control this quickly since I graduated college (not from GA) 10 yrs ago.
My brother was an English professor at colleges in GA, SC and FL during those years. He often told stories of how difficult it was to fail a bad student. These were kids that skipped class, missed tests, didn't turn in projects, and got caught plagiarizing. But he had to keep extremely detailed records, because a worthless student that earned an F wouldn't just accept it and move on. The kid would complain to the department head, file a formal complaint against my brother, gripe about how "unfair" he was, etc. and the department's starting position was to side with the student. More than once, he had to defend himself in some sort of tribunal because a kid flunked his course.

If a professor wanted an easy semester, he could just pass everyone and not have to deal with the fallout of flunking a student. I wonder if that's what this guy is up to; just sick of the administrative BS involved in giving students the grade they earned.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I had Dr. Watson for at least one major course and he was a pretty good professor, so I'm curious what brought this on. Glad UGA put a stop to it before my degree got devalued, at least.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
That professor ought to be on academic probation, with the University closely monitoring his electronic communications with students, his website, and any tests or quizzes that he uses to establish grades.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Professor removed it from course syllabi. And then? Discussion with students and then grade assignment?

Nemo

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,414 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts