UGA Students Pick Own Grades

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Nemo, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Wish I could for my bachelors. One + and I would have made Cum Laude on that.

Nemo

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/univ...-can-choose-grades-in-stress-reduction-policy

Click link above and read rest of the story.

2. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

I saw this a week or so ago and keep thinking there has to be more to it than this. It couldn't have gotten out of control this quickly since I graduated college (not from GA) 10 yrs ago.

3. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Some have surmised this is in response to campus carry, but I could find no link.

4. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

I had a business psych class where the teacher did something like that. At the end of the semester he told us to pick our grade and write the reason why we thought we deserved it. If he agreed, he'd give us the grade we wrote down. I gave myself a 90, and got it. That class was awful though. Prof was a nice guy but a complete quack.

5. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Good freaking grief! Reminds me of a 3-question final that took 5 hours to work in a period scheduled for 3 hours, and I finished close to first. The prof was making comments like, "I'm getting a Coke. Watching y'all work is making me sweat!"

6. carnut

carnut Member

Holey crap !! Really prepared for the real world.. How would you like to hire one of these 'stress free' as an employee.. Insists on setting his/her own work performance grading, and decides to walk off a project when the group dynamics get stressful. How much did they say this education costs ?

7. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

My brother was an English professor at colleges in GA, SC and FL during those years. He often told stories of how difficult it was to fail a bad student. These were kids that skipped class, missed tests, didn't turn in projects, and got caught plagiarizing. But he had to keep extremely detailed records, because a worthless student that earned an F wouldn't just accept it and move on. The kid would complain to the department head, file a formal complaint against my brother, gripe about how "unfair" he was, etc. and the department's starting position was to side with the student. More than once, he had to defend himself in some sort of tribunal because a kid flunked his course.

If a professor wanted an easy semester, he could just pass everyone and not have to deal with the fallout of flunking a student. I wonder if that's what this guy is up to; just sick of the administrative BS involved in giving students the grade they earned.

8. commodore_dude

commodore_dude Active Member

I had Dr. Watson for at least one major course and he was a pretty good professor, so I'm curious what brought this on. Glad UGA put a stop to it before my degree got devalued, at least.

9. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

That professor ought to be on academic probation, with the University closely monitoring his electronic communications with students, his website, and any tests or quizzes that he uses to establish grades.

10. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Professor removed it from course syllabi. And then? Discussion with students and then grade assignment?

Nemo

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Now that's funny! :lol:

12. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I was wondering if the professor was being sarcastic to make a political point. I'm less sure after reading that notice.