U.S. Supreme Court decision paves way for online sales tax collections in Georgia

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by phantoms, Jun 22, 2018.

1. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Georgia residents can expect to pay more for goods purchased online after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled Thursday in favor of allowing states to levy sales tax on internet purchases.

The decision clears the way for Georgia House Bill 61, a bill passed last legislative session requiring online retailers that make at least 200 sales a year or $250,000 in annual gross revenue to start paying Georgia’s sales tax when shipping their products into the state. The law is set to go into effect Jan. 1.

http://www.mdjonline.com/news/u-s-s...cle_38947be4-758c-11e8-a388-6b5631b2640f.html

2. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

While I can see something needing to be done to make it fair, this ruling is going to be a nightmare for online retailers who will have to track sales tax of not only states, but individual cities and governments. What a pain in the ass.

Instead, they should have made it ok for the retailer to simply have to collect sales tax from the State they operate in. After all, that's essentially where the purchase is.

3. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

I agree, collecting tax based on where the business is located would have made more sense. That is generally how brick and mortar stores operate. It will likely be a nightmare for a small business to collect and remit taxes for countless city/ county/ state agencies.

4. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Rent-seeking by Amazon. For a long time Amazon fought Internet taxes. Then they created a tax engine that accurately calculated sales tax for every USPS valid mail address in the USA. They just successfully lobbied the courts (far cheaper than renting CongressCritters) to make this the law of the land. Every online seller has to pay a tithe to Amazon or be subject to prosecution in every possible jurisdiction in the country.

5. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Eff them. Sticking their fingers up our ass, every chance they get.

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Amazon or the Supreme Court?

7. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Both.

I meant the government in general, regarding taxing every damn transaction they can. Like now when you buy a used car from an individual, you get taxed on that. And our taxes used to pay for government services we received. Then it got to where we have to pay separately for lots of things, like boat ramp fees, etc. For example, I have to pay the government $150 to come out and look at my property and see if me rebuilding my deck to the same footprint will impact the environment.

8. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

On a positive note, much like the Trump tax reform package that caps home mortgage deductions and local tax deductions, this will impact high,tax liberal jurisdictions the most. No longer will people vote for taxes and then easily evade them or foist the real costs onto others. I could easily remove 50% of the Democrat party vote in one day with one simple tax code change. Eliminate withholding and make everyone write a monthly check for their federal and state income taxes.