Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or does the following quote from this page contain a typo? I put the word that is confusing me ("not") in red:

This code section shall also not apply to a weapon which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school; and shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person's control a weapon within a school safety zone(this code section does not apply to anyone carrying or transporting a weapon through the zone, or while conducting business while in the zone, or while visiting someone who resides in the zone. Be advised however if you step onto actual school property (while not picking up or dropping off a student), the building or land the building is situated on, then you are in violation even if you have a license. Be careful!)
It sounds like it does apply to anyone conducting business while in the zone, or visiting someone who resides in the zone. Am I wrong? (That wouldn't surprise me, BTW.)

Thank you!

JS

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Not at typo...

The 1000 ft zone around the school property basically does not exist if you are passing by a school on your way somewhere else, it does not exist if you are visiting the gas station across the street, or if visiting a friend that lives next door. If you are doing one of those things you can ignore the 1000ft rule, however you cannot ignore the actual property.

So if you are visiting your friend next door to a school and want to walk to the gas station, and the quickest route is through school land, you must go the long way around the property.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.