Type 2 Diabetes in Children - Child Abuse

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This ticks me off.

A documentary I watched said in 1980 there were no type 2 diabetes cases in children.

Now?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/sugar-consumption_b_1477658.html

Should parents of children with Type 2 diabetes be allowed to keep their children?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Apparently Type 1 is increasing in children worldwide as well, and, while the verdict is not yet in, fat is thought to be the culprit, as in obesity.

3. Malum Prohibitum

http://www.onemedical.com/blog/newsworthy/fed-up-movie/

This is the documentary. I saw it on Netflix. The entire second half is a call for government intervention and control, but the first half is very interesting.

4. Malum Prohibitum

5. DonT

DonT Active Member

Very disturbing. And guess what? We get to pay for these parents' malpractice, via our taxes and our own overpriced government mandated healthcare plans.

6. Fed Up, such a horrible excuse for a documentary. Nothing more than to push for a new government slogan, "sugar is evil, the government must regulate it!!!!"

7. Malum Prohibitum

Please offer your explanation. If it is not sugar consumption that is causing adult onset diabetes to become child onset diabetes, then what is it? It is fine to criticize the documentary, but do you have an alternative explanation?

Is long term, sustained high levels of sugar consumption a good thing? Does it have a beneficial effect on the body, its metabolism, and insulin sensitivity?

Note that the diabetes statistics are not just from the documentary. They are facts: cold, hard facts. So you don't like the documentary. Fine. What about parents giving their kids Type 2 diabetes? Is that just fine with you?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  8. Malum Prohibitum

Does the concept of liberty extend to parents harming their kids, giving their kids diabetes?

This was an unknown thing when I was a kid.

What is wrong with parents these days?

9. AzB

AzB Active Member

Like many physiological problems, there is more than 1 contributor.

Lack of exercise is also a big problem among children in the USA, and it's probably just as big an issue as the junk food.

Az

10. MedicOxford

MedicOxford New Member

I'm sure all the fat kids have thyroid problems. It's not the parents or the food...

11. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

I don't understand how a parent could do this to their child. It's certainly abusive, and while you don't want to take children away from their parents except under the most extreme circumstances, it might be justified if intervention and education produced no change in the parents.

But I don't blame them 100% for the problem. I don't think it's the government's responsibility to prevent obesity, but they need to stop encouraging it. The government subsidizes corn, wheat, and soy, which makes them cheap, which means food makers put corn syrup, soybean oil, and wheat into just about everything (seriously - look at almost any packaged food, even things that don't need any "ingredients" like canned tuna and sliced meat, and they will have corn syrup and/or soybean oil in them). Agribusiness makes plenty of money, which finds its way into campaign donations, and the cycle continues.

[​IMG]

We know this is a terrible idea. Everything on the bottom row - what the government wants you to eat the most of - is metabolized in exactly the same way as sugar, and is stored as fat if it's not immediately burned off. But the government subsidizes those items, and the businesses who receive the subsidies fund the politicians, so we get nutritional advice based on the most profitable foods, even if it kills us.

Childhood obesity is ultimately the responsibility of the parents. But I think it would be a fine first step for the government to stop subsidizing and promoting the exact foods that cause the problem in the first place.

12. Malum Prohibitum

For obesity, yes, but less so for diabetes. Insulin response has to do with diet, that is, more sugar in equals more insulin, overloaded cells ignoring insulin, and therefore even more insulin. Exercise does increase insulin sensitivity, however, because it gives that sugar somewhere to go once the insulin starts knocking on the cell door.

Of course, no amount of exercise in the world is going to overcome the fattening effects of some of the ridiculous diets I have seen, but I agree with you. Children today are too sedentary.

13. I don't disagree that high sugar consumption is detrimental in the long term, but I do not believe that is the sole cause of childhood diabetes.

Are the children getting diabetes before or after they're considered obese? Are the two related?
    Is the issue related to a lack of breastfeeding?
    Could a link be made between the antipsychotic and psychostimulant drugs that are prescribed?
    Poor nutritional education?
    Is it that the people with poor eating habits are now having children and passing along those habits?
    Perhaps the lack of recess and PE in schools?
    Do parents fear pedophiles so they keep their children inside?
    Are GMOs and pesticides disrupting the endocrine and metabolic systems?

14. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Excellent summary!

15. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

However it is occurring it just another reason for the the govt to get involved in peoples lives and make sure they eat the govt menu, follow govt exercise rules and obey everything the govt says. Yeps, one more thing for the govt to protect us from ourselves about.

Nemo

16. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

I would rather have fat, unhealthy kids than have some form of government food police start to take children away from their parents.

17. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

[​IMG]

I think this is actually the 2015 diet for half of America.

18. onenil

onenil Member

Piss-poor parenting. Period. End of story.

19. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

High fructose corn syrup and its rise in processed foods since the late 70s.

20. Blake

Blake Member

It seems the acceptable viewpoint around here is that it's absolutely okay to enlist government to force women to have babies, but once the babies are born it's an absolutely crazy idea to have government get involved to keep those babies from being basically killed by their parents.

There seems to be a disconnect somewhere.