1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Super Moderator
75,246 Posts
glockgirl said:
Rammstein said:
glockgirl said:
Honestly you should vaccinate them in elementary school
forced vaccinations? no thank you.
there is an out for personal objections... remember small pox would never have been controlled without mandated vaccination. by doing the vaccinations in school it allows all folks to afford it and allows everyone to get them. we already have forced vaccination to enter public schools MMR, TB skin tests,tetnus, menigitis, varicella, polio, etc. The only reason this is a debate is due to the sexual component. I have a huge interest in public health so this tends to be a soapbox of mine.

the only way to stop a pandemic is thru prevention, quarantine, and treatment.
Cervical cancer does not exactly spread the same way as "small pox" or TB - come, on! :roll:

Nobody is trying to outlaw the vaccine.

· Super Moderator
75,246 Posts
http://www.star-telegram.com/275/story/89464.html

Hard to argue with Perry's stance on concealed handguns
By O.K. CARTER
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Just when Gov. Rick Perry looked increasingly like a Bush-lite homeboy, out he comes with an amazing proposal that will make him the guv hero-of-the-year with the National Rifle Association: Texans with concealed-handgun permits should be allowed to carry their pistolas everywhere.

Advance disclosure of Second Amendment bias: I have a concealed-handgun permit.

But having a permit is more trouble than it's worth. My employer forbids firearms on the premises. There are highly discouraging signs regarding weaponry at the library and City Hall, plus all kinds of no-nos involving bringing a heater to honky-tonks, schools, courthouses, churches, hospitals and athletic events.

Perry correctly calculates that people with murder in mind will simply ignore signage and shoot every defenseless person in sight, much as happened at Virginia Tech. The hypothesis is that nothing discourages a mass murderer faster or with greater finality than someone shooting back.

It's a tough argument to dispute. The 1991 massacre at a Killeen Luby's left 23 people dead, prompting the Legislature to create a concealed-handgun law.

Evidently quite a few Texans have considered the gun-toting possibility. On average, the Department of Public Safety gets maybe a hundred concealed-handgun applications a week. After the Virginia Tech tragedy, it was running up to 700 a day.

"I think a person ought to be able to carry their weapons with them anywhere in this state if they are licensed and they have gone through the training," Perry said this week.

"You go, Rick," says Jack Griffith, a longtime Arlington CPA turned full-time concealed-handgun instructor. Griffith calculates that he's trained 1,500 residents, two battalions' worth of armed citizenry. He's among half a dozen trainers listed in the Arlington Yellow Pages alone. It's a growth industry, with many more individuals certified than most people realize.

Instruction is a mix of safety procedures, dos and don'ts, a review of relevant legal considerations and firing range practice. License holders are competent, though -- unless they frequent a firing range -- unlikely to have the small-arms skills of police or military personnel. :roll:

Applicants are fingerprinted and their records are checked against state and national crime databases. In short, they're just the kind of mildly paranoid and cautious people we all hope are around the next time a homicidal nutcase shows up at Luby's midway through the LuAnn special.

Griffith's classes are a mix of reality and humor. For example, there's the first rule of gunfighting: "Absolutely don't get in a gunfight," Griffith says. "Skedaddle, hide, retreat, take cover, call 911."

The second rule is to really, really remember the first rule.

The third rule is that if a gunfight breaks out, the odds of survival are far better for people who bring a gun and know how to use it.

Of Griffith's 1,500 former students, the number who've landed in legal difficulties is statistically insignificant.

"Zero, in fact, though I've had a few end up in situations where they had to pull weapons but not fire them," Griffith recollects.

What happens now? The governor's proposal is only a statement of philosophy. There is no House or Senate bill being considered that would implement his suggestion. Nor is there likely to be. A few bills would marginally expand weapons-carrying rights; others would diminish them.

For instance, the Arlington school district is lobbying for the reversal of a law that allows a gun to be left in a car parked on school property. Rep. Diane Patrick, R-Arlington, supports the measure, as does Superintendent Mac Bernd. It's still working its way through the House Law Enforcement Committee.

As for Griffith, he's hopeful but not optimistic that the governor's preferences will take root.

"These days, smokers and gun owners are about the last people around that can be discriminated against," he said. "I don't expect that to change."

[email protected]
O.K. Carter's column runs Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.