Two Robbers Die When Guard Fights With SKS

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/256689.html

Three robbers, one victim, one SKS = two dead robbers and one in jail

2. Macktee

Macktee New Member

:woohoo:

The good guys win another one!

Ya gotta luv the comments of Sgt. Ray Beaudreault, the homicide detective,
    "Fearing for his life, he shot the little :censored: !"

In a different jurisdiction, the shooter would have ended up in handcuffs, charged with murder or something.

:handcuffs:

But this happened in Texas!!!

Let me say it again...

:woohoo:

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Two Points

1-- In Georgia, security officers cannot carry rifles. It used to be only a .38 revolver. With special permission you could have a pump-action shotgun. Nowadays I see many armed guards with semiautos, so maybe the rules have changed since I was in the biz.

Nonetheless, when they sent me to guard a Jewish organization's building that had received threats from people claiming to be Islamic warriors, promising a bloodbath, I did my shift seated behind a steel desk with a blanket on my lap. A blanket that just happened to be a little longer, than, say, a CAR-15. But it was just a blanket, on my lap, to keep my legs warm. Really.

2-- This young security guard used his SKS to kill a fleeing robber. That's a mistake. Maybe he'll get away with it, maybe not, but you just should not shoot at fleeing felons who only appear to be trying to get away. Sure, you can speculate that they'll turn and re-engage you. You can guess that maybe they're running for cover and will try to shoot at you once they get behind their car, or a telephone pole, etc. But that's just speculation, and I'm not sure it's objectively reasonable.

4. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Sorry...but the last thing I'm about to allow an armed thug to do, is jump in a 2 ton weapon and run me over.

Far as I'm concerned...it is a justified shooting.

If it were up to me...there wouldn't be any problem with shooting a fleeing thug. Just because they bit off more than they could chew, doesn't mean they aren't still valid targets. They chose a dangerous profession. Wah...

5. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I'm with Az on this one. Shoot and then sort things out. Sounds like the cop did that for him...

Remember the good old days of, "POLICE! Stop or I'll shoot!"?

Although, it probably sounded something more like, "POLICE! :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: Stop or I'll shoot!"

Ahhhh yes, the good old days... when so many cases were cleared when someone had confessed.........

:whistle:

6. phaed

phaed Active Member

sks, cheap but still effective.

p.s. damned GBI still has mine

7. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

So, when a good guy (one professional enough) uses it, it's a "semiautomatic carbine."

But, when I want to buy one, it's an evil assault rifle.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Dang, still? Any indication as to when you'll get it back? I don't understand why they still need it if you weren't charged with anything.

9. phaed

phaed Active Member

talked to the investigator again today. my gun is just one of many sent in to the state, and they all have to be processed. i guess the volume is very high (he said they alone send them around 20 a week), and there's only 1 processing center.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

But you weren't charged with anything, right? I don't understand why they still need it...

11. phaed

phaed Active Member

nope, wasn't charged with anything. i guess you ask a good question. was just told that it still has to be processed. was a pre-ban norinco. had a poly stock, but was still legal in every way.

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That's a shame you didn't get to keep it immediately upon knowing you won't be charged.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Does he know of your particular circumstances?

And what are they processing? Firing a round and then cataloging the marks left on the bullet from the lands and grooves? If so, why? Is there some question as to which weapon was used?

14. phaed

phaed Active Member

yeah, he was on site. they said it has to be processed whenever there's a shooting, even if there's no charges. i have no idea what "processing" entails.

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'd sell it and get another SKS. I wouldn't want a database of the ballistics/fingerprint of my guns. That's none of their business.

16. Malum Prohibitum

:lol: