Two items you would stockpile if you were the only person left?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by TITAN308, Aug 8, 2016.

1. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

Interesting discussion from another forum.

Basically pick two items that would be a priority to stockpile. Don't mistake this for "these are the only two items you can have", but simply deemed the most critical for survival and thus are pillaged and taken en masse on day 1.

To me I thought my answer was pretty clever:

Generators and Gasoline.

Basically break into all the local hardware stores and make a few trips with the truck to stock up on generators and collect gas. While the first obvious choices would be food and water, I imagine that those, along with everything else should be relatively easy pickings if you were the only one around.

Generators would basically give you quality of life. They can run your entire house for air and heat as well as charge other items without relying on solar equipment.

I figured with a decent stockpile of gas and generators you could live comfortably into old age barring any major medical problems.

2. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

Find an old diesel generator - easy to fix and can run on pretty much anything from veggie oil to kerosene to used motor oil.

If you're the only person left on earth, though, why do you really need to stockpile anything? Just go get what you need when you need it.

3. TITAN308

Storms, wild life, no upkeep of infrastructure. Any number of anythings could turn that store full of supplies into a pile of garbage given enough time. Was the way I thought at least.

At least at your "home" you could build a storage unit to house the stuff. I also figured, you'd have plenty of free time to go around stock piling and building onto your Fallout style fortress. I'd also assume I'd want more than one generator connected to various items anyhow as a redundancy sort of thing.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

How long is it that you think gasoline would last with enough quality to run your generator? Gasoline does not have an indefinite shelf life. You should probably come up with another plan to sustain you into old age.

5. TITAN308

As far as I knew you could buy stabilizers for gasoline and then store them in drums?

Edit:

Ransack Lowes for these, 256 gallons per container for up to two years. Now the question is, can you add more every 2 years? That I don't know.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/STAR-TRON-1..._clickID=7777ec46-cb68-418d-81d6-9f01f15e9cbc

6. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Only two items?

Axes and sharpening stones.

*If you choose fuel, kerosene is the longest storing liquid fuel. If you need longer, go coal.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  7. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

Solar powered generators and lots of heirloom seeds

8. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Propane for the generator available in portable containers and will run a generator rather well

9. tbill

tbill Member

Well, condoms are definitely out.

10. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

The priorities to sustain life are, in order if most to least.... Safety/Security, followed by Shelter and then Sustenance.

You can always wait a day to forage for food, especially if a tropical storm, hurricane, or even winter are moving in.
    You can always wait an hour or so to construct shelter if someone is shooting or some other predator has you in its sights.

Make sure Safety is assured (which can be augmented by proper Shelter) and then worry about a renewable source of Sustenance.

For me, the two things I'd hoard would be seeds and edged tools of almost any design.

11. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Pron mags and lotion.

If you are the last person on Earth, then no matter what it is you are doing to get by, you are just Jack Kinghauf.

12. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

Pron mags? Eyesight going bad? You know what they say causes that right?

13. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Who want's to live to old age all alone?

14. TITAN308

No one said dogs wouldn't still be around.

I could probably live pretty content with a pack of dogs as my companions. Hell I already talk to them they like they understand be anyhow.

15. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaNZofms8MQ#t=45[/ame]

16. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Hey, Bkite, I'm over here.

17. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

A Cherry 2000. Nothing else.

18. CoffeeMate

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXV7ylA_pkw[/ame]

19. CoffeeMate

:lol: (Yeah, I actually saw that one too!)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kckEEQKXaCU[/ame]

20. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

Hahahaha. Now that's funny. I don't care who you are.