Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
I went into that cave one time. (I think it was Ellison's. May have been Pettijohn's Cave) The first time I had to crawl on my belly down a big flat rock at about a 30 degree angle, I got so nervous I was shaking. What if I could not make it back up later? The rock was muddy now, and if I got wet later, on the way back my wetness would make all the mud I crawled across extra-slippery.
Can you climb up a wet muddy 30-degree angled surface?

The SECOND time I encountered a belly crawl at a weird angle, I turned around. Let the rest of my group go in deep. I met 'em back at the first room where you could see daylight on the other end.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Just yesterday I explored a tiny little gold mine in Dawson Forest. It is more of a cut, really... a hole that went into the hillside about 30 feet and then took a right turn for another 20 feet. No cliffs/drops, water, or anything of the like. There were 3 other mines on the same hillside and I plan to enter those some time soon.

Even with little hillside cuts you have to let people know where you are going. Lat/longs are ideal. I like to tie a big red scarf onto a tree next to the entrance and my wife knows that I do this. That coupled with lat/longs make it pretty easy for someone to find you if you're not back by the time you said you would. Ideally, you should post someone at the entrance while others are inside.

Even for a 5 minute mine excursion I bring water, food, two lights and way too many batteries, along with my usual hiking load: first aid, space blanket, fire starter, water purification, wet wipes, and my mini shovel.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
You know you're "tight" when you can feel rock on your back, and rock on your chest at the same time. I've been there many times, though the space I can occupy becomes less over time. :lol:

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Bye bye, James.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
AtlantaJames said:
CountryGun said:
Bye bye, James.
Edited and I apologize. Not a fan of heights at all, spur of the moment post. I did not realize the TOS banned cursing, and again very sorry.
It is hard to spot, that sticky post visible on this sub-forum titled "Profanity." And then there's the "Clean up your posting" sticky on the Off Topic Political sub-forum.

·
Registered
285 Posts
AV8R said:
AtlantaJames said:
CountryGun said:
Bye bye, James.
Edited and I apologize. Not a fan of heights at all, spur of the moment post. I did not realize the TOS banned cursing, and again very sorry.
It is hard to spot, that sticky post visible on this sub-forum titled "Profanity." And then there's the "Clean up your posting" sticky on the Off Topic Political sub-forum.
Noted, you all seem like a good lot and I'm not here to soil the curtains.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The whole "found dead" comment is kinda misleading. It's not like these kids got lost. They died of a pretty tragic & probably avoidable mistake.. Hypothermic death within a couple hours...

Witnesses told officials that someone dropped a bag down a pit. They say Lockenbach rappelled down to retrieve the bag but got tangled in his ropes about 100 feet down and cold water poured over him.

They say Pirie went down to help but also got stuck. The bodies were recovered hours later.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
The descent into the pit is the easy part, the hard part is ascending all the way back up to the rim, of course it's much easier with a winch than the old jumars, Gibbs or Purcells. :wink:

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,469 Posts
JeF4y said:
The whole "found dead" comment is kinda misleading. It's not like these kids got lost. They died of a pretty tragic & probably avoidable mistake.. Hypothermic death within a couple hours...

Witnesses told officials that someone dropped a bag down a pit. They say Lockenbach rappelled down to retrieve the bag but got tangled in his ropes about 100 feet down and cold water poured over him.

They say Pirie went down to help but also got stuck. The bodies were recovered hours later.
Sheesh... very sad. I can't believe they were in shorts and T shirts. Wonder if they were experienced cavers? Hypothermia is the #1 danger when you're in a cave.

I also wonder how much experience they had using Jumars/Gibbs or if they even had ascenders? It's not as easy as it looks to inch your way back up that rope... especially when you're wet and cold.

JeF4y, where did you find that quote? Didn't see it in the main article.

edited for spelling

1 - 20 of 42 Posts