Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's a Beretta Cougar 8040 and a Ruger P94 40 at a local pawnshop near me, both in good condition (90%+). Which is the better pistol of these two? Opinions please. Just these two.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
If both are the same price, then the Cougar is the better one.

A buddy of mine had a P95 9mm that was a jammomatic. But I've always heard the P95 was a good reliable pistol. Maybe he just had a lemon.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
My first semi-auto pistol was a Ruger P series. I bought it because I liked Ruger revolvers. I never cared much for the P series, it felt clunky in my hand and I didn't shoot it well (I know that was me, though, not the gun). All things being equal, I would try the Beretta (although I've had both the PX4 Storm and 92, and like the Ruger, those grips didn't fit my hand well, either).

Good luck & let us know how it goes.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Beretta if they are same condition and roughly the same price. No doubt.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tough decsion. All three pistols are in .40, which is what I am looking for, all are later model pistols. The Cougar, P-94 and Sig sp22340. Leaning toward the Sig atm. The Cougar is nice and I like Berettas, but that ungodly high bore axis. Well all of them seem to have a high bore axis. The Sig SP looks nicer than the other two. The P94... I don't know why but I've always kind of wanted one. It does seem to be the red-headed stepchild of the three. Then there is Mr Ruger's penchance for supporting gun control. I think I will get the Sig. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks I ended up with the Sig Sp 2340. I like it a lot. Snagged2 12-round "leo/govt only" mags off auction for a good price. I would still like to pick up a P94.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,144 Posts
Shoulda got them both.

Nemo

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a P91DC that is not that different than the P94. Love my P91 also in .40. Fantastic shooter, and yes, built like a tank. It's also backup to my Beretta!

But I'm gonna say, any one of them is a good choice as long as YOU think so.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
Let's hear a range report on the Sig 2340 when you get a chance.
Between the ones mentioned in this thread, I'd have used these criteria to make the choice:

(1) What fits my hand better. What gun feels better. (reach to trigger in DA mode, thickness of grip frame, bore axis, etc.)

(2) Which gun has the smoother and lighter DA trigger pull (I assume they all have good single action triggers).

(3) Price, both of the gun and the extra mag or two that I'd want for it.

(4) Availability of aftermarket parts and accessories. Night vision sights? Laser sighting systems? Bone-in holster that matches the gun's contours and controls? What kind of future upgrades can I do to each of these guns?

·
Registered
251 Posts
In the case of older all semi-autos I would go with the Beretta. Remember Beretta has made firearms for 500 years Ruger I'm not sure if they're even 100 years.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,144 Posts
I had a Ruger Mini-14. I bought it a good while back. It had engraving on the side of
1956 Ruger 1976.

My math says Ruger has 63 years behind them.

Nemo

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a .40 caliber P94 that I bought new in '99. I wound up going a different direction & moved away from it after I started carrying. It is a reliable pistol. I did better with a hogue grip. I had a hard time holding on to the stock grips. I really didn't know much when I bought it. I would have liked it better if it had been the decocker only version instead of the safety version. I don't like slide mounted safeties.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts