Two .40 pistols at pawnshop which one to get??

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by johnski, Nov 13, 2017.

1. johnski

johnski Active Member

There's a Beretta Cougar 8040 and a Ruger P94 40 at a local pawnshop near me, both in good condition (90%+). Which is the better pistol of these two? Opinions please. Just these two.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 5:28 AM
  2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Active Member

If both are the same price, then the Cougar is the better one.

A buddy of mine had a P95 9mm that was a jammomatic. But I've always heard the P95 was a good reliable pistol. Maybe he just had a lemon.

3. johnski

johnski Active Member

4. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

My first semi-auto pistol was a Ruger P series. I bought it because I liked Ruger revolvers. I never cared much for the P series, it felt clunky in my hand and I didn't shoot it well (I know that was me, though, not the gun). All things being equal, I would try the Beretta (although I've had both the PX4 Storm and 92, and like the Ruger, those grips didn't fit my hand well, either).

Good luck & let us know how it goes.

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Beretta if they are same condition and roughly the same price. No doubt.

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I feel that the Cougars are better shooters, in my opinion anyway.

7. johnski

johnski Active Member

And how would the sig sauer sp 2340 compare to these two?

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have an SP2022 9mm that I love. If you are looking at an 2340, handle it first. The grip is a little thick for some people.

9. johnski

johnski Active Member

Tough decsion. All three pistols are in .40, which is what I am looking for, all are later model pistols. The Cougar, P-94 and Sig sp22340. Leaning toward the Sig atm. The Cougar is nice and I like Berettas, but that ungodly high bore axis. Well all of them seem to have a high bore axis. The Sig SP looks nicer than the other two. The P94... I don't know why but I've always kind of wanted one. It does seem to be the red-headed stepchild of the three. Then there is Mr Ruger's penchance for supporting gun control. I think I will get the Sig. Thanks for the replies.