Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Australian family is en route to the United States, faced with the heartbreaking task of identifying which twin sister survived an apparent suicide pact at a Colorado shooting range.

Police say the 29-year-old women had been at the busy Family Shooting Center in Cherry Creek State Park, south of Denver, for nearly 90 minutes, firing rented pistols and chatting. Then, a security video shows, they fell backward nearly simultaneously, hitting the floor outside the shooting stall.
http://www.aolnews.com/nation/artic...-in-colorado-one-lives-but-which-one/19722029

Wow... nothing else I can say :p

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,109 Posts
people shot in the head who survive (for a while, anyway) tend to have a lot of swelling that changes their facial features.
I wonder if the family members from Australia will be able to tell which one is which with certainty?
Maybe looking at the one killed instantly would be a more reliable method than looking at the one all bandaged up and on life support.
Anyhow, this is crazy and sad. Why? Why ? Why ????
And WHY a gun? Women are supposed to take pills or something minimally effective like that.
Guns to their own heads (or each other's heads?)??? That's serious. Not a "cry for help."

·
Registered
153 Posts
gunsmoker said:
people shot in the head who survive (for a while, anyway) tend to have a lot of swelling that changes their facial features.
I wonder if the family members from Australia will be able to tell which one is which with certainty?
Maybe looking at the one killed instantly would be a more reliable method than looking at the one all bandaged up and on life support.
And WHY a gun? Women are supposed to take pills or something minimally effective like that.
Guns to their own heads (or each other's heads?)??? That's serious. Not a "cry for help."
In a lecture from a ME- until the past few decades, it was EXTREMELY rare to find a female suicide by a firearm to the head. After he had observed a few of these cases in the New Orleans area (again, almost unheard of at the time, and this was about ~late80s/early 90s) he found that it was more common in-
-women who grew up without a father
-women who are very independent (the women in the workforce/breadwinner type)
-women who didn't see themselves as "precious, beautiful, delicate things".
-women who didn't seem to care much about their appearance, which could also be contributed to depression like signs or something similar.

Just thought that was interesting.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scotsman said:
gunsmoker said:
In a lecture from a ME- until the past few decades, it was EXTREMELY rare to find a female suicide by a firearm to the head. After he had observed a few of these cases in the New Orleans area (again, almost unheard of at the time, and this was about ~late80s/early 90s) he found that it was more common in-
-women who grew up without a father
-women who are very independent (the women in the workforce/breadwinner type)
-women who didn't see themselves as "precious, beautiful, delicate things".
-women who didn't seem to care much about their appearance, which could also be contributed to depression like signs or something similar.

Just thought that was interesting.
lol thanks for the data bro lol out of all the things you could post , you brought statistics :D You're worse than workman.

This is indeed a very sad situation. These 2 women needed help and sadly we may not ever understand why they decided to take each others lives. But its a fact something was truly wrong.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
what kind of twins? my younger brothers were almost identical, but i could tell them apart 50 yards away even if they weren't facing me. something about living with them daily, i guess. they could fool their teachers and friends, but not family. the parents will know.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I can distinguish certain twins, but there's a pair I've been casual friends with for eight years now, and I still have to ask which one they are when I see them. Kinda pathetic on my part, I guess. Although it doesn't help that their names and Brent and Brett.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
phantoms said:
Another story on it at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/17/national/main7063867.shtml?tag=strip with video of the news story.

No determination has been made as to whether what happened was a double suicide, murder-suicide or simply a tragic accident. But Hamilton says he is confident the shooting was planned.
It's entirely possible one was trying to kill the other, and the other tried to defend herself.
lol seriously? And they just so happen to pull the triggers at the very same moment? Is the glass half empty or half full? I'm certain that if they were in fact arguing and one was trying to protect herself I would assume the video footage would show that.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Well, that thins the stupid from the herd a little more...

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Some interesting excerpts from another article - http://my.earthlink.net/article/us?guid ... cc1a00c5c0

Each 29-year-old woman shot herself in the head with ammunition bought at Family Shooting Center, investigators said, with one twin using a rented .22-caliber revolver and the other a rented .22-caliber semiautomatic handgun.
<snip>
Perea said physical evidence and surveillance video from the range supports the existence of the suicide pact.
<snip>
The sisters, who are from Australia's Victoria state, had been in the Denver area for about five weeks. One had gun training two weeks before the shooting, and both showed up at the range about a week later for additional gun training, Perea said.
Evidently the AU newspapers know who's who and what their names are... and for some reason they were carrying articles about the Columbine shootings on their person.

http://www.news.com.au/world/columbine- ... 5956815481

AUSTRALIAN twins Kristin and Candace Hermeler were carrying articles about one of America's worst school massacres when they shot themselves in a bizarre suicide pact.
<snip>
As police interviewed the surviving twin, Candace, officers said a search of their bags had found magazine articles, clippings and letters related to the 1999 massacre at Columbine High School.

"But there was never anything we came across to indicate that they had intended to do another Columbine," Arapahoe County Sheriff's office Captain Louie Perea said.
<snip>
Police do not expect to press charges because Candace did not assist her twin and the pair turned the guns on themselves, not each other.

A 15-year-old boy found the twins following the shooting.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
This is just a sad, sad thing. This family will be scarred forever.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
budone1967 said:
This is just a sad, sad thing. This family will be scarred forever.
So will the range..depending on where the bullet struck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts