Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this today about Twiggs Co Sheriff doing a "roadblock" on the interstate with warning signs and the real roadblock was the exit before the announced roadblock, which never existed in the first place.

“Our main goal is to save lives and reduce injuries and accidents,†[Maj.] McDaniel said. “This is a tool we use to create a safer environment on our highways during this travel weekend.â€
I wonder if this sting was an affront to the 2000 SCOTUS case Indianapolis v Edmond.
In Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz, 496 U. S. 444 (1990), and United States v. Martinez-Fuerte, 428 U. S. 543 (1976), we held that brief, suspicionless seizures at highway checkpoints for the purposes of combating drunk driving and intercepting illegal immigrants were constitutional. We now consider the constitutionality of a highway checkpoint program whose primary purpose is the discovery and interdiction of illegal narcotics.
A divided panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit reversed, holding that the checkpoints contravened the Fourth Amendment. 183 F. 3d 659 (1999). The panel denied rehearing. We granted certiorari, 528 U. S. 1153 (2000), and now affirm.
Does anyone know anyone who knows someone in the 31 Flavors who knows someone in the Twiggs Co Sheriff's office who can comment?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
That's the exit I take to visit my parents and I've been through 2 roadblocks on the ramp before over the last 5 years, although I've never seen the signs before. It's a wooded ramp with a long curving turn on it, so you can easily hide an entire roadblock on the ramp.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the news report is accurate and a sign said "License Check Ahead" that would patently be unlawful.
SCOTUS said:
In Prouse, we invalidated a discretionary, suspicion less stop for a spot check of a motorist's driver's license and vehicle registration.

·
I may be slow, but I sure am ugly
1,221 Posts
In about 2000, I saw the same thing on I-70 between Columbia, MO and Kansas City - way out of town on one of the lonely FM (farm to market) road exits. There were signs warning of a drug checkpoint ahead, then as you approached the exit ramp (curving to the right and out of sight), there were numerous vehicles on the interstate ahead with lights flashing...naturally anyone with drugs or warrants bailed out on the ramp where the real checkpoint was...fish in a barrel.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,838 Posts
iirc its not legal to stop traffic on the actual interstate...so stupid turn off....in 2004 i was going to the 40th annv Mustang show in Nashville and there were numerous places like that on i95 with the signs and youd see a bunch of people turn off and get stopped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts