Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"It's a perpetual battle," says Rick Ector, owner of Rick's Firearms Academy of Detroit and an expert in firearms safety. "Every time something major like this happens, we commiserate together online. It's like, 'Here we go again.'" ...

... "People assign the blame for the mass shooting to an inanimate object â€" a handgun â€" instead of the disturbed individual. If we need a scapegoat, I'll offer up the judge, the local sheriff, the shooter's family and his professors for their failure to deal with him before he shot 19 people (this number has been revised to 14 injured or wounded) and killed six. Everybody knew he had a mental problem and nobody did anything." ...

... the Brady Campaign to End Gun Violence assailed on its website "the easy access to high-powered guns that make it too easy for dangerous and irresponsible people to disrupt and destroy the lives of innocent Americans, and political leaders."

It should be noted that Giffords, an Arizona Democrat, is a gun owner and strong supporter of the Second Amendment. ...

Ector believes what happened in Tucson is a lesson for people to be armed because violence can occur anywhere. "Arizona allows sane law-abiding citizens to open-carry and conceal-carry firearms without a license," he says. "Had just one person in that parking lot been armed, the outcome could have been different."

For that reason, he takes a stand against stricter gun laws.
"The only thing new restrictions will do is impact the ability of law abiding citizens to protect themselves against undocumented crazy people and criminals."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110112/OPI ... z1AoGLbyKc

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Still, gun rights proponents refuse to be disarmed. "What took place in Arizona is not to be blamed on gun laws," Ector says.
. . .
However, that point might be moot, Ector adds. "Because he seemed intent enough on carrying out his crime that he probably would have gotten a gun illegally and probably stolen one."

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ector believes what happened in Tucson is a lesson for people to be armed because violence can occur anywhere. "Arizona allows sane law-abiding citizens to open-carry and conceal-carry firearms without a license," he says. "Had just one person in that parking lot been armed, the outcome could have been different."
That is, in fact, not true. One of the persons responsible for apprehending him, was armed, from what I understand (and who knows how many other bystanders were carrying). Just because you're armed doesn't necessarily mean you fire into a crowd of innocent bystanders. And it doesn't mean that you'll always be able to save the day, any more than a mixed martial artist could stop a gang war that erupted around him or a group of cops would be able to stop a mob protest. It does give you more options and more of a fighting chance, but there is no cure-all for the lunatics out there.

That being said, I do hope other states adopt similar carry laws as Arizona's.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I believe this is relevant.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,718 Posts
mpc said:
That is, in fact, not true. One of the persons responsible for apprehending him, was armed, from what I understand (and who knows how many other bystanders were carrying). Just because you're armed doesn't necessarily mean you fire into a crowd of innocent bystanders. And it doesn't mean that you'll always be able to save the day, any more than a mixed martial artist could stop a gang war that erupted around him or a group of cops would be able to stop a mob protest. It does give you more options and more of a fighting chance, but there is no cure-all for the lunatics out there.

That being said, I do hope other states adopt similar carry laws as Arizona's.
well he wasnt over there when it happened....he ran over from inside the store and the shooter wasnt shooting anymore...

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
noyz said:
He made some excellent points and on MSNBC no less.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Taurus92 said:
noyz said:
I agree. He opens with "I didn't think about it..." Exactly. He knew someone needed help, and acted accordingly; when it came to whether or not to employ the use of his firearm he decided (logically and reasonably) not to draw. This sounds like a good CC'er to me. Has the guts to act and the brains to act accordingly.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
noyz said:
Taurus92 said:
noyz said:
I agree. He opens with "I didn't think about it..." Exactly. He knew someone needed help, and acted accordingly; when it came to whether or not to employ the use of his firearm he decided (logically and reasonably) not to draw. This sounds like a good CC'er to me. Has the guts to act and the brains to act accordingly.
I bet he had more than 10 rounds in his magazine. He has mentioned in several interviews that I've seen, when he approached the site someone else already had the weapon away from the shooter and he went to disarm them. He realized it was too crowded to fire, but was ready if he had to. He acted quick and smart, but no one in govenment is praising his actions and only a few in the media that I've seen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts