Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I challenge everybody on this site to support any local charity or worthy group that is doing a "turkey shoot" for a fundraiser over the next two months.

Maybe your local VFW or American Legion post has a turkey shoot.

How about your volunteer fire department?

Is some farmer in your area hosting a turkey shoot benefit, with the money raised going to the local animal shelter, Sheriff's Youth Home, battered women's shelter, etc?

A "TURKEY SHOOT" is something that used to be a lot more common in America, but the anti-gun liberals have succeeded in making a lot of Americans think that anything having to do with guns is bad, and that showing the legal use of guns in sport shooting will promote murder. So a lot of groups won't consider raffling-off a firearm, or holding a turkey shoot, as a fund raising event.

IF THERE'S A TURKEY SHOOT IN YOUR AREA, SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR KEEPING FIREARMS-RELATED ACTIVITY IN THE MAINSTREAM, AND IN THE PUBLIC'S EYE, by participating.

What is a turkey shoot, you ask?

Well, you either show up with your own shotgun, or show up empty-handed and borrow one for a few minutes. There are always loaners available, in my experience. However, you don't normally use your own shells. The event organizers have boxes of shells in all the common calibers, and they'll give you a shell when you buy the ticket. That way they know the ammo is safe (not a hand-load with a double charge of powder) and is loaded with the appropriate small birdshot pellets, not buckshot (could be a safety issue beyond the target boards).

You pay a few bucks for one shot. Or you pay more for a package of several shots.

You take each shot at one clean new sheet of paper that has an image of a turkey on it, and the bulls-eye is a little DOT (yes, the size of a period) in the brain area of the turkey. If you hit it, you win. If nobody hits it among the group of shooters firing on that relay or stage, then whichever person gets closest to the dot (they will measure it, and each millimeter counts) wins.

What could you win? A prize. Check and see what prize is being offered for your event. Here in Cumming, the local V.F.W.'s prize a few years ago was frozen meat. A turkey was the big prize, but they also had lesser prizes: rump roast, rack of ribs, 50-count package of hot dogs, etc. There were several stages in the match, and each stage was over in about 20-30 minutes, and then the winner of that "stage" was declared and given the prize.

So you don't need a big time commitment. Just stop by.
You don't need to own a shotgun, or carry it with you that day.
If you see a turkey shoot, just pull over and do it!

If you want, TAKE A CELL PHONE PICTURE OF YOUR SHOT TARGET and post it here.

P.S. If you do own your own shotgun and want to use it, great. Long barrels with tight chokes are best, but regardless of how good your equipment is or how skillful you can aim it, there's a lot of luck involved.

Reactions: MSgt G

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I won once, ammo can suspended by a nylon string. Shoot with a .22lr. The can dropped when I shot. Turned out others, and I, had hit the string, which just deflected, you could see the marks on the unbroken string. The vibration worked the string loose from the nail it was tied to. Frozen turkey. I was 12 or 13.

anyone knows of one, post it here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Haven't done one of these in years, but remember always enjoying this as a kid with my grandpa (long gone now). I'll see what I can find out about the middle Ga area (Houston County and surrounding). I'd love to get my kids out for one of these.

·
hu huh, you said "Member"
585 Posts
hunting club around Cartersville used to have these every year.

I've seen the rules where you have regular NRA targets w/ rings, and :

- you measure the "Golden BB" closest to the bullseye (or, how many BBs get in the bull, including all that even touch the edge of the bull). this requires a micrometer or so, sometimes ends up with ties and shoot-offs. But quick to measure each one if you have a line of say, 10 targets and 10 shooters in a certain prize round.

- how many BBs inside a certain ring (requires counting a bunch of holes, but sometimes there is a lot less than you think in a 10 or 9 ring)

Either can be done with printed 8.5x11 targets, don't need big huge ones for this type of thing.

Or,
You can do this cheaply with paper plates and little round stickers from an office store. You can vary distance, angle, etc.

Usually the person who laps up quite a few prizes has a 28-32" barrel (12ga) with a really tight choke on it. Most turkey guns are 24", but the goose barrel and a tight choke is the ticket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
JP233,

HaHa....that triggered a memory from when I was probably 6-7. All we had was the cheapest big pack of white paper plates with a Sharpie hand drawn rings...no wait it wasn't even a Sharpie brand, we couldn't afford that high end marker.:rotfl:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
In southern Indiana we call them "spot shoots" along with turkey shoots although that's not as common a name. Seems as tho every weekend in the fall there was a spot shoot going on somewhere nearby. Prizes ranged from cash to meat prizes. I've seen half a cow given away! Big money makers up north! Couldn't find any last fall here in Georgia. ☹

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump.
Cummng's VFW post on Hwy 9 has the turkey shoots back every Saturday, 1 pm to whenever (4 maybe?)

Reactions: Adam5

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Thanks for this post. My friend has invited me several times to come to a local V.F.W chapter with her. (nothing improper, we and our spouses have had many social and professional events together for over a decade). She genuinely supports her local chapter. I always declined because I felt I didn't belong. If the Turkey Shoot is a fundraiser, I'll gladly stop by and blast away. Heck, I may even let her convince me to stop inside (afterwards) and buy a drink.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Our church usually does one every year right after service....I'll post back with a date and rules....This is in Cartersville BTW.

Brian

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
Is that the Sutallee Baptist Church on Hwy 20, just east of I-75? I've seen their "Turkey Shoot" signs up in the fall, but have never been to one at that church.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
Plant Vertebrate Tree Mammal Sky
Glasses Plant Vision care Tree Natural environment
Saturdays have been bad weather days in recent weeks.

I think the VFW in Cumming will end the turkey shoots the Saturday prior to Christmas. Maybe THAT day the weather will be decent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts