Tul Ammo Report

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by TimBob, Oct 7, 2010.

1. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Has anyone used Tul Ammo (formerly Tula)? I bought a (9mm 115 gr) box of this Russian import from Wally World and took it to the range. It shot fine, with the exception of one failure to eject. The steel casing was stuck in the chamber after firing; it took a cleaning rod down the barrel to get it out.

Of course, the gun (a S&W M&P) hadn't been cleaned in about 300 rounds, so that may have had something to do with it.

However, I continued to shoot... and shot another 50 rounds of Federal with no problems whatsoever.

9mm Tul is cheap: $9.47 a box at Walmart, so I'll try it again... after the M&P gets a good cleaning!

Noticed that they had some in .45 ACP but failed to get a price.

2. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

It is just wolf with no guarantee and at that price it's a little too steep for me though not bad when compared to wolf.

3. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

Speaking for myself, I can't see shooting the steel-cased Russian stuff when brass-cased Federal 9mm is available for $10 a box/50 at WallyWorld.

4. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Yup. Steel case crap.

5. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

$14.97 for a box of 50. Saw that at Wally World yesterday.

6. TimBob

$9.47 for that same box down here in Albany

7. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I buy my 9mm for right at $5 per 50
    oh wait I make it for that
    sorry I could not resist :lol:

8. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

It's hard to justify paying $9.47 for Steel Cased Berdan Primed ammo when you can get Brass Cased Boxer Primed ammo (Federal) for $1 more per box at the same store. Personally, I wouldn't buy the Tul Ammo unless I was completely out and they were out of stock of everything in my caliber, and I needed something as emergency carry ammo.

9. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

You better double check what you are buying for $9.47. That is the price of the 9MM Tul and what the Federal 9mm used to cost here. Wally World has raised the Federal 9mm to $10.47 up here.

The $14.97 was for a box of .45ACP

10. TimBob

My mistake, Suburbbus. I thought you meant for the 9mm.

11. ET.

ET. Active Member

I bought some .380 Tula ammo at Wally World because they were out of everything else. I took it to the range and shot all 50 rounds with no ftf's. Yes, the steel casings will wear out the ejector sooner than brass, but at least it was reliable. I probably won't shoot any more of it because I have aquired a good stock of Winchester & Remington 380 rounds. If it was the only ammo around I would buy it again, but it is a last resort ammo for me.

12. Going Postal

Going Postal New Member

I just ordered 500 rounds of the .223 for $89 and change (plus shipping), at least I think it was Tul. I have never used this kind before so I hope it works with my Bushmaster!! I have fired Wolf without any problems so I would think Russian ammo is pretty much the same.

13. TimBob

Update:

Cleaned the M&P and went back to the range yesterday and shot another 50 rds of Tul 9mm. It did fine until round #48. There I had another FTE! GRRRRR. I still have another box of this stuff, too...

Guess I'll stick the Federal or the Winchester White Box for my plinking needs.

14. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Just got 500rnds of .308 Tula for $155 to use as range ammo. Hard to argue with that price for .308 ammo, even if just for range use.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I ran 100 rounds of the Tul 9mm through my CZ SP-01 Phantom this afternoon. It ate it up like a fat kid eating a bag of Gummi Bears.

It ran 100% and felt fairly hot.

16. MossCreekShooter

MossCreekShooter New Member

I ordered a few boxes of Tul 7.62x39 from cheapthandirt.com. I'll chime in after I give in a ride in the SKS.

17. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

I ran 100 rounds of Tula .45 through my Kimber a couple weeks ago. It was dirty, but 100% feed, fire & extraction rate.

18. Yocain

Yocain New Member

I got tired of digging FTF steel cased ammo out of my guns. My new rule is "russian ammo in russian guns, american ammo in american guns." No further stuck casings under this rule. Tul is false economy. Roll your own and trust the quality. Cheaper too. Glad I reload.

19. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

I don't use their steel cased ammunition in any US made firearms. Or in anything for that matter except AKs and other Soviet-bloc weapons, which IMO were designed for it.

But I am going to give their TulAmmo primers a try. Small and large pistol, as well as .223 small rifle primers. The price is excellent, and from what I can tell folks have had good experiences with them. I bought around 15,000 primers to stretch that hazmat fee out, we'll see how they perform.

20. Brutah

Brutah New Member

shot a box of 50 .380 in my taurus tcp and i report that it did not like them at all

quite common was the case would not feed well and restrict the slide in some way jamming the pistol during operation. It went like this
    1 step to line beginning with empty chamber and full mag
    2 rack it and fire
    3 casing ejects and visibly is in position for next squeeze
    4 slide was not in full battery, and is now jammed shut with live round in chamber but not enough to allow the firing pin to drop when trigger is pulled
    5 remove mag and carefully pull hard as i could on the slide to eject round( this is not easy with a small slide big hands and a stuck gun)

this was repeated 8 times on a box of 50 afterwords the gun was tested using wwb in fmj and hp with no problems at all.

tried the 9mm in my 24/7 and had better luck with it feeding fine however i had 7 hard primers that did not fire on the first attempt( 24/7 having the 2nd strike capability i was able to hammer a 2nd time and on all but one this was enough to fire a 3rd attempt was needed with 1 bullet)

I wont be giving it another attempt as it made shooting a chore with the .380 and its just not worth the headache at the price