TSA - My Experience

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Malum Prohibitum, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The TSA was cooperative, and I had no issues. On the flight to Colorado, I had no issues with the airline personnel, either. On the return flight, however, a Delta baggage handler lady, whose job it was to bring my luggage containing the firearm to the TSA (so they can say, "Yep, there's a gun in there alright"), insisted on bringing it behind closed doors to the TSA officials, and she requested my keys. I politely declined, and I explained the appropriate procedure to her, as gathered from the TSA's web site. She insisted, however, and I firmly refused at that point.

She went in to speak to the TSA agent, and, although I could not hear her, I could see from her demeanor that she was "tattling" on me. No problem, though, I heard the TSA agent loudly proclaim (obviously so I could hear him) that he would leave the doors open so I could see the search and the gun case and luggage being locked back before returning the key to me. I then turned over the key to him, and he did exactly as promised.

When he handed the key back, I told him I was sorry for being a pain, but I wanted it done correctly. He smiled, and said, "Please don't apologize. We are here to serve you, and you should make sure it is done correctly."

I was, frankly, flabbergasted. I am so used to dealing with local Georgia potentates and their disregard for the rule of law, that the TSA man's pleasant and compliant attitude surprised me. I still don't like having to check it in at all, but it is good that they follow their own procedures and are pleasant to deal with.

The Delta lady stompled away all huffy, probably wondering if she would get a tip!

2. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

Too bad we can't just show our permit and be on our way to the plane!

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I had the same reaction when I called the State Parks to ask them about carrying and their ban. He was polite and friendly, gave the the OCGA code regarding firearms in state parks.

It is depressing when you get surprised by city/county/state/federal officials being nice and curtious.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Recent flight to and from Oregon. No issues with airline personnel (America West - they simply follow TSA rules and have no rules of their own, even the link on the web site just sends you to the TSA) or with the security personnel. They did not even want my key.

5. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Isn't the TSA supposed to fade away into bad memory lane here soon?

6. JosieWales

JosieWales Banned

Like all government programs, it is here to stay.

7. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

When you check in other baggage, do they search it and say "Yep, there are clothes and other miscellaneous items in there alright"?

8. NGIB

NGIB Grumpy Old Man

Zombie thread alert!

From 2005...

9. rankhornjp

rankhornjp New Member

I'd take that as a NO, then!

10. MarcR

MarcR Member

A positive experience associated with a variation of the comment, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help." good to know.

Also, insert typical cannabis related comment anywhere here. They're just more relaxed out there in Colorado.

I wouldn't let that firearm out of my sight either and I appreciate your exercising your rights to that degree.

11. MewsicLovr

MewsicLovr Member

One wonders if they would still allow this now, 9 years later. :-k

12. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

I fly regularly with firearms. Delta mostly. About half the time I have to teach the agent the procedure. Red Coats always have it correct.

I take my firearm already unloaded and locked in a case (using NON TSA lock) inside a locked bag (using TSA lock) to counter. You can carry a firearm in the check-in area of ATL airport, but other state laws vary so I like to have a legally safe habit. Request an Unloaded Firearm tag. Agent weighs and tags the bag as normal and hands me a red/orange "Unloaded Firearm" tag. Signed tag goes INSIDE the bag adjacent to the firearms case. As an additional precaution, I use a locked ammo case as well, keyed the same as my firearms case. The agent may examine the firearms case to see it is locked. The agent may not request the firearms case be unlocked. I the take the bag to the oversized bag screening station. Some airports do not staff station this full-time so the ticket agent may need to request TSA agent meet me at the inspection point. Unlock bag lock and let TSA agent paw through belongings. Bag and agent remain in sight, but you will have to take a few steps back while the do their thing. Once bag is searched, you lock it up and it disappears into the general baggage stream. Neither TSA nor the airline may put any external identifier on the bag indicating it contains a firearm. Everyone I have dealt with has been mostly professional. Anytime they see an ordinary bag approaching the oversized bag drop, they ask "Firearm?" and take care of you immediately.

Make sure your case closes tightly when the latches are undone or it may be "disqualified". The lock alone must be able hold it securely closed.

13. GeorgiaHybrid

GeorgiaHybrid Member

One thing to remember, the TSA agent is NOT supposed to "get" your key. The key is supposed to remain in your possession at all times. You should unlock the case for them and make sure it is locked up tight afterwards. Always keep a copy of the rules with you. I always field strip my pistol as well while in the case as they would have a hard time thinking it is loaded in that condition. It only takes a minute at the other end to put it back together and load.

14. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

15. GeorgiaHybrid

GeorgiaHybrid Member

He has reason to be jumpy, I had American Airlines in Atlanta "lose" a $6,000 Berretta 687 EELL Diamond Pigeon Sporting with an Americase and a full set of Briley Ultimate tubes the week before the Olympics in Atlanta were held. The most they were required to pay at that time was something around $1,075. Needless to say, I wouldn't take a leak on an American employee if they were on fire and have NEVER flown on their airline again. I also fly with a LOT cheaper guns now that would be covered by the minimal amount they have to cough up if they "lose" it.