Trumps executive orders

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by atlsrt44, Aug 9, 2020.

1. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Yeah, I wasn't going to comment on that, but wow! I was making $2.30 in 1976 as well, weighing mice. A couple years later I was working in a porcelain factory, and I think I might have made closer to $4. I barely made more than $10 when I got out of college.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Deepocean likes this.
  2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Somehow? How about...
    That could explain the somehow...

Good for your friend but there is an American Citizen left out of the seat she stole by being here illegally and staying. Each day she stayed here illegally was just another crime. So could she personally be sued by any and all American Citizens that could have had that seat had she not stolen it right out from under their right to be there as American Citizens? IMHO the only thing she should get is deported.

As for where I was in 1969 making $10 per hour. I entered the remodeling portion of the construction industry. Janie Fricke, Charlie Pride and other high end remodels including but not limited to many of the Dallas Cowboys homes.

3. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Not sure but I think there is no legal basis to deport a U.S. citizen.

4. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Then I misread your post to indicate she was DACA and not a US Citizen.

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I said she was a DACA beneficiary, and she was. She is now a citizen. They are not mutually exclusive.

6. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

Can't figure out by your ramblings why you included my response here. You didn't address it.

7. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

I roofed, did small carpentry jobs and painted prior to getting into the medical field. Yes, a lot of contractors hire illegals at lower wages compared to Americans. Have seen it first hand many times over.

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Okay...
    So should have been deported may have been a better term since she apparently was here illegally, allowed to bump US Citizens out or a chance at a place in college. After all that activity she is allowed to somehow jump to the front of the line of thousands of people doing the legal thing to get here. Yep... I got it... She even stole her place in line to become a citizen. How fortunate for her she has been allowed to cheat her way into the hearts and minds of the American people and the education system.

9. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Now, about the Executive Orders that are the subject of this thread. Can anyone think of who is legally harmed by them so that they would have standing to sue?

10. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Sorry I could not resist. I'll behave now.
    speaker-of-the-us-house-of-representatives-nancy-pelosi-news-photo-1580934360.jpg

11. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Yeah, she insists the orders are unconstitutional, and they probably are, but just because something is wrong doesn't mean you can sue to fix it.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

SO -

If you are under $100k in salary, then 7.5% pay bump starting next month. Let's just say $100,000 to make math easy. That is $7500, but it is only for Sep, Oct, Nov, and Dec, so $2500.

Who thinks the House Democrats will refuse to forgive the taxes before the end of the year?

Then each worker will have to pay back a sum of money, up to $2500 . . .

13. DKW

DKW Active Member

Is that on Gross or Net wages?

Also, is it up to $100K gets relief. So if i make $115K, will i only be paying payroll taxes on $15K or is not of it applicable

14. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you be out trying to subvert nations ...oh, never mind, I see you are trying ...

15. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Does your question necessarily result in the payment? I'm not sure.
    This whole topic really is about presidential power to forbear. We know from Art.2, Sec. 1 that the executive power is vested in the president. And we know from Art.2, Sec. 3, that he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed.

But we also know from common law that he has prosecutorial discretion, meaning he can forebear from prosecuting a given violation of criminal law. If this were not the case, there would rarely be guilty pleas and every case would have to go to trial. We also know from general experience that he has some civil discretion. The USA does not, for example, sue every person for every civil wrong. This all begs the question, what is the limit of the presidential power not to enforce a law? We've already had discussion in this thread of the discretion not to deport persons who are not lawfully present. But can the president use discretion not to collect a tax? He must have some discretion, otherwise how would the IRS be able to compromise or settle a delinquent or disputed tax? In the present case, though, we're talking about not collecting a tax across the board (similar to not enforcing marijuana laws across the board in states that have decriminalized it at the state level). If the president decides not to collect all FICA taxes, as apparently he has, what can anyone do about it? If Congress refuses to ratify that forbearance, is there really any mechanism to force the collection short of impeachment and conviction of that president and replacement with someone who will?

16. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

Someone here needs to read the writings of Mr. T Coxe, for starters.

17. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

StarJack likes this.
  18. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

OWM likes this.
  19. Malum Prohibitum

All good questions, but entirely separate from the question I posed.

20. Malum Prohibitum

All of it. You are out of luck.