Trump Suppressor Ban?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by EJR914, Jun 3, 2019.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

With the bumpstock ban secured, could suppressors be next?

I'm kinda worried now as I like suppressors a lot.

Could Trump turn out to be the most anti-gun for the average guy since Reagan?

Do you think something could slip through?

I didn't think the bumpstock would go through though.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...fer&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=ttagfeed

2. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Trump Jr loves them and was an advocate for the HPA. It's annoying, but I'm not terribly worried about it.

EJR914 likes this.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

EJR, bump stocks were at best a gray area in the law which at one point ATF resolved in our favor, but then they reversed themselves under political pressure from Trump and with the approval of the NRA.

There is absolutely nothing in the statutory law of Congress that addresses bump stocks at all. Those stocks weren't even invented or designed at the time the NFA was passed or amended by Congress. Bump stocks just weren't on the radar of Congress at all, so ATF had the flexibility to make a decision on this point to fill-in something the law was unclear about.

ON THE OTHER HAND, Congress' approval of private citizens buying or making their own silencers (if they register them and pay the tax ahead of time) is absolutely crystal clear and carved in stone.

There is no gray area for ATF to re-interpret; there is no blank space or vagueness in the law for ATF to clarify the point. Silencers are legal if they're registered and taxed. ATF is ordered by Congress to maintain the registry of them and to process the tax money for the treasury.

End of story.

It would take an act of Congress to change that. Remember, Congress is the legislative branch. Donald Trump and the director of the ATF are the "executive" branch. They execute (or carry out) the laws passed by the legislative branch.

4. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

There is absolutely NOTHING "gray area" about bump stocks. Nothing.

blind_shake, AtlPhilip and Phil1979 like this.
  5. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

There is no gray area about the bump stock. They were and and always have been ruled against because they change the mechanics of the firearm. The slide fire stock does not change the mechanics of the firearm and has been approved and re approved many times over the years. they are 2 totally different devices but are now being rolled into one in the same because most people refuse to call out the differences when speaking about them.

blind_shake and EJR914 like this.
  6. jsaund22

I'm willing to be educated, but I was under the impression that with a bump stock each round was fired by a single function of the trigger. Is that not the case?

7. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

A true bump stock has a spring in it. Once it is set in motion the operator does not need to do anything else to empty the mag. Yes it is a single function of the trigger but it is running full auto without external action by the operator. A slide fire stock requires the operator to physically press the action forward to maintain fire. Without operator action the slide fire stock will stop firing. Still each round requires a single function of the trigger but the mechanical operation of the trigger is the problem with the true bump stock.

8. jsaund22

Consider me educated. I was not aware of the "spring assist" aspect.

EJR914 likes this.
  9. EJR914

Neither was I, thanks for the education.

Back to Trump not liking suppressors? Nothing to worry about?

10. jsaund22

As far as I'm concerned, he can not like them all he wants. When he decides to enforce his dislike on the rest of us is when we have a problem.

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

The original Akins Accelerator?

12. moe mensale

As previously mentioned, suppressors are already heavily regulated at the federal level. The only foreseeable action might be an attempt at declaring them completely illegal and subject to confiscation. Now we're talking about banning an entire classification of weaponry just as many want to see done with so-called "assault weapons." Then to be followed by what?

blind_shake and EJR914 like this.
  13. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Correct...

14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The "bump stock" (with spring assist) versus "slide fire stock" (without spring assist) is a distinction without a difference. Nobody cares whether your supporting arm holds the weapon loosely or whether your supporting arm needs to pull the weapon forward. What your supporting arm does is in no way part of the NFA definition of "machine gun." What force pushes the entire trigger assembly forward to press itself against your stationary (stiff) trigger finger is of no legal consequence.

ATF was wrong to initially cite the spring as the reason one was legal and one wasn't. Both types of designs should have always been equally legal, or equally unlawful.
    Now they are. Both equally unlawful.

15. moe mensale

The distinction is huge. With a slide-fire stock the semi-automatic firearm itself generates no forces, mechanical, gaseous or otherwise, that allow the fire control group to continuously cycle beyond the first shot. The shooter's moving support arm provides that required force. Otherwise, it's a single shot firearm requiring continuous manipulation of the trigger to fire. It requires both hands to fire "automatically."

A true machine gun generates whatever forces it requires to allow continuous cycling with a single trigger pull. It doesn't require additional human input to fire continuously. It can be fired automatically using a single hand.

The statutory definition of machine gun as well as physical laws of nature have been violated with the "bump stock" rule. You can't paint an orange red and call it an apple.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  16. EJR914

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  17. EJR914

I'm starting to get a little worried, a little sweat on the brow.

How can Trump be this bad on guns? I mean I guess we all know he was a Democrat, but geeze. This is terrible guys. If he goes through with it we've got confiscation? I don't know how it will go I see many going along with it, few fighting.

I'm just really bummed out at the prospect of a non leo suppressor ban. They make firearms more peaceful for everyone to shoot, not just the shooter. Killing people is already illegal, make it double illegal with a suppressor? Just seems really dumb.

18. EJR914

Turn in and confiscation. If Trump is this dumb I can see him going for AWBII they won't be as dumb as last time. No sunset clause on the law. They will leave a grandfather in there.

blind_shake likes this.
  19. EJR914

Progun conservative FB_IMG_1559753345320.jpg

20. EJR914

Another conservative
    FB_IMG_1559753701751.jpg