Featured Trump Moves to Ban Bump Stocks

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I don't believe he was limiting the idea of liberty to just bump stocks. Did you not read "The fact that SCOTUS manufactured exceptions..."

The bump stock proposed ban is indicative of the continuous push to further erode our rights and the clear meaning of the U.S. Constitution, with the end goal being disarmament for non-badged citizens.

EJR914 likes this.
  2. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Your thinly veiled threat of violence is duly noted. And let the record show that I am willing to die for liberty and you are willing to kill me to prevent it.

3. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

If bump stocks are meant to mimic automatic weapons, why are they being banned instead of being made NFA devices?

(Not that I advocate this as a solution, merely pointing out the lack of logic and consistency in this reactionary proposal)

mog, EJR914, AtlPhilip and 2 others like this.
  4. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

There's no other organization that even comes close to holding the political power the NRA has. Good, bad or indifferent, they're the 800# gorilla in Congress. I don't always agree with their positions but the only way to change that is from within. It happened before in 1977 and it can happen again. Members can alter the Board of Directors makeup by getting people who believe more like them elected to it. This year I cast my vote for just one person - Adam Kraut - to the Board because his views are more in line with mine. But it isn't going to happen overnight. And it isn't going to happen if you don't involve yourself. And I'll continue to support other organizations that I deem worthy enough to support in this fight. So don't bad mouth me because of where I send MY money. I'm not telling you what to do with yours.

5. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Great; keep being foolish then.

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Go suck a blowpop.

Mrs_Esterhouse likes this.
  7. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Tragedy begets emotion, not logic. With that said, we haven't seen anything from the DOJ yet - that may be their very recommendation.

AzB likes this.
  8. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Well, if this thread is any indicator, then I think the liberals can take faith in that the 2A supporters will simply destroy themselves from within and they can then claim victory.

DCN1, Taurus92, EJR914 and 2 others like this.
  9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Trump is asking the DOJ (remember, ATF was moved from Treasury to DOJ so they could pretend to be real law enforcement instead of revenue collectors) to reclassify these stocks as NFA devices. That is, he wants them to call the stocks machine guns.

If the DOJ goes along (and it cannot if words mean things), then such classification will make the stocks illegal to possess. There will be no way to transfer them, because none o them were registered in accordance with the NFA prior to May of 1986.

Questions?

10. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Maybe a whole new classification? A suppressor is not classified as a machine gun but as a device. Maybe the "Bump Stock" will fall into the same category as a device since it does not convert the rifle to a full auto. It also doesn't actually even come close to mimicking a full auto. To me they are totally useless but if someone wanted to have and use them then it should be legal to buy and transfer through normal retail operations without the ATF being involved.

The whole "Bump Stock" term is misleading. It's a slide fire stock that is being discussed. Not really too much different than the slide on a pump action shotgun. I have seen some people able to extremely rapidly fire lever action rifles, pump shotguns and revolvers that almost sounded like machine guns until you look at what they are actually using.

Waste of ammo IMHO...

Even if regulated or banned nothing will change in the person determined to do harm to other people.

11. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Why not simply swap out suppressors for bump stocks on the NFA? That would be a fair compromise.

12. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Maybe... For the Bump Fire Stocks that actually modify the action with a spring reset.

I would just prefer suppressors be removed and Slide Fire Stocks be left as is. There is a difference between the 2 stocks. Ultimate would be just remove the NFA but I'm too old to live long enough for that to happen.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

AtlPhilip likes this.
  14. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

15. NullMatrix

NullMatrix Member

If they are reclassified as machine guns, there is the possibility of an amnesty registration. That could be more palatable politically than banning and confiscating them outright.

What sorts of modifications could be made to a bare stock to make it more fun, given that it is legally registered as a machine gun? Add a spring, since it's already a machine gun? Design a kit using the bump stock as a receiver and turning it into a real full auto?

16. Phil1979

Would adding a spring-loaded fore-grip attachment (not a pistol grip, just a grip plate snapped onto the regular fore-grip) help to tame a rifle's recoil and make it accurate while bump firing it?

17. Phil1979

You know what we need as an expression of liberty and as a protest against these infringements?

We need folks to make a lot more instructional videos of how to bump fire rifles using only their hands. And blog articles describing it.

18. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Chuck Conners was quick with a lever gun.

twood likes this.
  19. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

There are some people that can make it look like Chuck was firing in slow motion. Many of those cowboy action shooters can fire 6 shots out of a single action revolver and you only hear a couple of shots. Maybe they have bump grips on their single action revolvers?

TimBob likes this.
  20. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Try some SASS (cowboy) shooting and you will learn right quick too. I can say I am not half bad. Maybe not half good but surely not half bad.

Nemo