Featured Trump Moves to Ban Bump Stocks

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

It makes an AR more equal to what the guberment has in case the citizens need it to defend themselves from an over reaching far too intrusive guberment. It's what the 2nd Amendment was written for. Trump is treading on the 2nd Amendment.

2. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

That response is typical for the type I take you for. Thanks.

3. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

I was an NRA member in the 1900s.

EJR914 likes this.
  4. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

[​IMG]

EJR914 likes this.
  5. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

Got a life membership back in 2011. Membership is a requirement for the matches I used to shoot. Still do shoot the occasional one.

GPAdmin likes this.
  6. Mrs_Esterhouse

Passage of the Gun Control Act was initially prompted by the assassination of U.S. President John F. Kennedy in 1963.[1] The President was shot and killed with a rifle purchased by mail-order from an ad in National Rifle Association (NRA) magazine American Rifleman.[2] Congressional hearings followed and a ban on mail-order gun sales was discussed, but no law was passed until 1968. At the hearings NRA Executive Vice-President Franklin Orth supported a ban on mail-order sales, stating, "We do not think that any sane American, who calls himself an American, can object to placing into this bill the instrument which killed the president of the United States."[3][4]

Precursors of the passage of the Gun Control Act were Senate Bill 1975 in 1963, "A Bill to Regulate the Interstate Shipment of Firearms," and Senate Bill 1592 in 1965, "A Bill to Amend the Federal Firearms Act of 1938." Both were introduced by Senator Thomas J. Dodd and met with fierce opposition on the floor but the bills also paved the way for the creation of the Gun Control Act of 1968.[5] [6]

The deaths of Martin Luther King Jr. in April 1968 and U.S. Senator Robert F. Kennedy in June 1968 renewed efforts to pass the bill.[3] On June 11, 1968, a tie vote in the House Judiciary Committee halted the bill's passage.[7] On reconsideration nine days later, the bill was passed by the committee. The Senate Judiciary Committee similarly brought the bill to a temporary halt, but as in the House, it was passed on reconsideration.[8] House Resolution 17735, known as the Gun Control Act, was signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson on October 22, 1968[9] banning mail order sales of rifles and shotguns and prohibiting most felons, drug users and people found mentally incompetent from buying guns.[10][11]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968

F— the NRA.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    EJR914 likes this.
  7. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

I'm gonna be a Rodney King here, and say, "Can't we all just get along"? :mrgreen:

We are on the same team here. I'm not going to call someone an offensive name for doing what that person sees in his/her mind to be the right thing.
    So was I. Lesson learned.

AzB likes this.
  8. Mrs_Esterhouse

Press S to spit on Wayne LaPierre's face.

9. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

The NRA wants to be a big, bloated money filled organization. The only way to do that is NOT to serve those of us who truly value liberty, for we are few, but to serve the wishy-washy middle-of-the-roaders who are FUDDER-BUTTERS.

EJR914 and RedDawnTheMusical like this.
  10. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

So, what group or organization can I support that will fight this national assault on the 2nd Amendment?

11. Mrs_Esterhouse

EJR914 and NTA like this.
  12. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Maybe you fail to realize that many of us support both as well as others and state orgs as well. For various reasons.

Adam5 likes this.
  13. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Gun Owners of America
    2nd Amendment Foundation
    Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
    Second Amendment Sisters
    Pink Pistols
    Firearms Policy Coalition

14. Mrs_Esterhouse

You fail to acknowledge that the NRA is actively working to undermine gun rights and publicly states they are in support of accessory bans. I'm not making this up. When have you ever seen Everytown or the Brady Campaign support gun rights, even a little? Yet, we have the NRA periodically come out in support of new bans. The NRA has also supported four past bans on guns. The group is disgusting and hypocritical. Stop funneling money to them. Divorce yourselves of the NRA and back real activists like SAF and GOA instead of:

Not
    Real
    Activists

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    EJR914 likes this.
  15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That highlighted statement hurts.

Morgan, EJR914 and AtlPhilip like this.
  16. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Yes it does, yet there sure seems like a bunch of folks still support the NRA. It's really mind boggling to me.

NTA likes this.
  17. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

This guy sucks! FB_IMG_1519321937108.jpg

18. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Let me start by agreeing that a bump stop ban is a stupid idea. Banning an object you can 3D print is about as bright as banning a common houseplant. Besides, we all have spare shoelaces if it becomes necessary.

However, my biggest concern, at least at the beginning, seemed to be the inevitable poorly written law that would intentionally or not criminalize a large number of other devices. I would expect that the NRA involvement would at least give us a clean definition. I am willing to lump bump stops/slidefire stops in with fully automatic guns as part of a larger firearms bill that eases restrictions in areas that matter. Being able to travel safely anywhere in the US would be a big plus for me.

I still say this is a long play to get just that type of compromise. First, determine that the executive doesn't have the power to unilaterally make such a rule. Then put it on Congress to fix things while also laying out inflexible demands that move the ball the way we want it to go. DACA is a model of how this happens.

mog likes this.
  19. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

1. Any erosion of "shall nor be infringed" makes one a sell-out.
    2. There is no "fires real fast" exception to 1A.
    3. Gun regulation by the federal government is made unconstitutional by 2A and also 10A. The fact that SCOTUS manufactured exceptions does not change this.
    and
    4. The written regulations state very specifically "one function of the trigger". That is precisely what this does.

back to #1-3, those who support gun control (including the NFA) in the absence of a Constitutional amendment are sellouts to the Constitution itself, including 2A and 10A. And those who support a Constitutional amendment are sellouts to the idea of liberty over tyranny.

“I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”

20. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Give you bump stocks (totally unregulated and anonymous) or just kill you, you say?

Well, let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. But your public proclamation that this is a matter of life or death to you is duly noted.