Trucks got fancy!

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by dhaller, Nov 13, 2020.

1. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

I need to get a new off-road vehicle, and I want a serious one, so I'm looking at trucks again after a long absence from them (I've used SUVs for off-road, and the last time I owned a truck was in the 90s.)

So I'd kind of settled on a Ford Raptor, and then I heard about the new Ram 1500 TRX. So I go to Ram's online configurator to spec one, and it rings up at $87,000 (!!!)

When did American trucks crest the $70 grand mark!

DH

2. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

How can heavy duty trucks cost less than pickups? Doesn't make sense to me either. I think it started when gas prices started to fall. It's definitely the thing nowadays. I'd like to have a f150, but just cant justify it no matter how much I try. The value just isn't there.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

No payments. Cash only. The two most important factors in buying a new vehicle.

Scout706 likes this.
  4. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

5. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

I'm at 242,000 miles on my 2008 Yukon. It's in the shop now getting a new, apparently gold plated, catalytic converter. $2,600. I do like not having vehicle payments.

6. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

I would agree in almost every case. The last couple of new cars I bought for my wife (I buy used for me) I had the cash, but used the 0% financing available. I made a few dollars by using thier money to purchase the car and investing the cash.

Also, if.you're paying cash, don't mention that fact until you have a price in writing for the car. The dealer expects to make some money on the loan, and if they know they can't do that up front, they will raise the price on the car.

7. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

My solution for expensive trucks is pretty simple; buy used, and buy fleet or trucks coming off a 1 or 2 year lease. There are a lot of trucks coming off lease this year as covid has really curtailed a lot of commercial travel. Last truck I bought was 1 year old with 14k miles on it and was nearly $20k off it's original msrp. Yeah, it was white, has plain steel wheels, and no heated steering wheel. But if those things were important to me, I could put some rims on it and wrap it and still have a lot of cash left over.

But I prefer steel rims and have no problem with white.

MaricopaKid likes this.
  8. Malum Prohibitum

338,000 on my 2005. My wife took it grocery shopping yesterday.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do have two nicer, newer vehicles as well, but not payments.

mb90535im likes this.
  9. Malum Prohibitum

I don't even know if my cars have a heated steering wheel - I am guessing the Denali probably does, but I cannot imagine using it.

I don't even like heated seats. If the weather is below freezing, I cannot keep the seat heater on beyond the end of my driveway, or I grow terribly uncomfortable.

Now vented seats, that blow the air conditioned air from under the seat to my butt and back? Now THAT is something I wish every car had!

10. Malum Prohibitum

Both look like VERY nice trucks, but I have no idea why you had sticker shock. What did you expect a truck with a 702 horsepower Hellcat engine to cost? :???:

11. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Platinum. Works as the catalyst

12. Darklock

Darklock Active Member

My daily driver is a basic 2017 F150 regular cab. Just like you find in any fleet. Six cylinder engine, manual locks and windows. Works just fine for my needs. Hauls loads when I need to, and pulls my small camper. I get 25mpg with normal driving. I never worried about being fancy, (or else I'm just a cheap bastard.) Paid 21K for it new, after my 2001 Ranger was getting too expensive to keep on the road.

13. Hombre

Hombre PITA

Trucks got (extremely) expensive, when they went from being tools, to status symbols.

Good advice above in post #3 on paying cash.

I can rarely do that, so my next best philosophy is to never buy a vehicle that I cannot pay off in 3 years (with less than a $350 or so payment). I bought my '99 4Runner in 2009, with 106k on it, for about $9k. Paid it off in 3 years. Turned over 200k on it early this year, it is still running quite strong and smooth, still worth at least $5k, and will still last me another 5-10 years, since I have semi-retired it to only utility usage (after paying $6k cash for my daily driver car). Hard to beat that as an investment - $4k value loss for nearly 12 years of driving the T4R.

14. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Yeah, because everyone has a spare $112K (est base price) just laying around. Since the "woke" thing is to get the entire world driving electric vehicles, wouldn't it make sense to build EVs that the average guy can actually afford? Or perhaps something more sinister is afoot. Like making these EVs so expensive the average guy can't afford one and hence stops driving. Need to get somewhere? Hail a ride share company.

15. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I guess I can't complain about the measly 138K miles on my 2003 Suburban.

16. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I go with the 0% idea. Stretch it out as long as possible at that rate, calculate the difference in a same length reasonable interest rate loan payment and bank the interest savings. Anytime possible use someone else's money to pay for stuff.

Nemo

AzB likes this.
  17. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

And GA law requires all auto laws are simple interest, so you always have the option to pay off early with no penalty.

Win/win.

18. GeorgiaHybrid

GeorgiaHybrid Member

Well, the last truck I bought to haul my camper should last me the rest of my life. With any luck at all, it should make it to 900,000 miles or more and the straight 6 engine is powerful enough. 500 HP and 1850 lb-ft of torque and it is paid for.

19. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

Even better than gold, it'll be platinum/ palladium/ rhodium plated. I don't like payments either. My 2004 Suburban has 248,000 miles now.

mb90535im likes this.