trucking

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by tony218, May 14, 2007.

1. tony218

tony218 New Member

what are the laws concerning over the road
    truck drivers carrying with a GFL?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

In Georgia? No different from driving in your pickemuptruck.

3. tony218

tony218 New Member

What about over the road, like out of state? My son is in truck driving school, and I asked him if was going to carry when was on the road (he does not have his GFL yet). He said that federal law says no firearms in
    commercial vehicles, but I can't find anything to confirm that. I want him to be within the law, but more importantly I want him to be safe.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Strangely, nobody else can find it, either. Even the people who claim it to be true.

I am waiting with open eyes and ears, though.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I always thought that many truckers were packing??? :?

6. tony218

tony218 New Member

so we can assume that there is no law against it.

7. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

My partner here at work used to be an over the road driver so I just asked him. He said that there is no Federal law that he is aware of that prohibits it, however, 99% of trucking companies have policies that prohibit thier drivers from having any weapons in the truck. He said they do it because all the states a drier goes through all have different laws and it would be impossible to cover all the bases. They worry that if a driver got pulled over and busted for illeagle carry that the truck and load are either going to be confiscated or at best sit on the side of the road till they can arrange for a replacement driver.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Or he may have to deliver to military bases, or a concert, or . . . and so on. It is easier to say no carry.

If the driver gets killed by criminals, they can always hire a new one.

9. AV8R

AV8R Banned

:?

Same can be said for my profession. :evil:

10. Axeman

Axeman New Member

What if he is hauling a shipment of firearms? :roll:

11. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Just like if someone comes in the ER and kills a bunch of admission staff, nurses, and doctors, they can always hire new ones, instead of allowing properly licensed admissions staff to carry to work.

I don't even want to carry AT work, I just want to carry TO work.

12. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

If I were a trucker you had best believe I would be toting.

13. peashooter

peashooter New Member

I can attest about 99.99% sure no privately owned trucking co. will not let you carry. If you are an independent "own your own vehicle Tractor" You most likely get away with it. Im sure most independent owners carry. The places you have to go sometimes late at night as far as im concerned all Truck drivers need to carry. I know this from experience because i retired from a very large package delivery co. and drove a semi for 30 yrs. And tho we could never carry, the co. had no inkling of an idea as to how may weapons were sitting in the parking lot in all of those vehicles that were driven to work everyday, many hundreds of vehicles and im sure its still the same as when i was there.

14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Company Drivers

I think many, if not most, company drivers (they just use the company-supplied truck and get paid something like 45 cents per mile) have a gun in the cab of the truck for self-defense, even if it's against company policy and even though it might cause a dilemma when they get dispached to deliver toilet paper to a federal prison, an excavator to a construction site on a military base, or when they are sent to any destination in NY, MA, or IL.

There OUGHT TO be a federal law that does apply to commercial motor carriers-- they should be able to get a federal carry permit that is good anywhere in the USA, provided that they don't spend any more than a certain number of continuous hours, or so many days in any month, in that state, and so long as they are engaged in interstate commerce (this would be the basis of Congress having the authority to pre-empt State and Local laws on this issue).

15. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

When I worked for the paint company, I knew several drivers employed by the company who routinely vioalted company policy and carried on company property and during local runs.

I mean, if I was driving a truck anywhere ITP I'd want a gun too.

16. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Re: Company Drivers

I like the above version better...
    It OUGHT TO be the way it was originally intended in the 2nd wiht Fed laws to preempt state or local regulations - You can own your gun & carry it anywhere ya darn well please regardless of state, city, county, or anything else.