Trouble drawing Remington 1911r1 from holster

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by guardguy, Nov 20, 2010.

1. guardguy

guardguy New Member

I am working on my draw of my Remington 1911r1 from a concealed holster. When trying to rapid draw, the front sight which is very squared and blocky, drags and hangs in the holster slowing my draw time severely. I can't get it to clear the slide hostler good enough half the time. This holster is not rock solid and moves slightly when drawing, plus it is not reinforced so it collapses when drawing. Any suggestions? Is this a technique issue, holster problem or a front sight problem?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What kind of holster and belt are you using?

3. guardguy

guardguy New Member

Belt is a reinforced leather belt which is very stiff. The holster was the cheapest they had, a Tagua leather slide holster. I figured it would work till I researched and found the perfect holster for me. It works ok till it is time to draw. Here is a good picture of it:

http://www.paradigmtacticalgear.com/Tag ... -tgl34.htm

4. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

I had a couple Taguna holster during my search for a good holster and i didnt like how they carried and felt either.

5. Pandashire

Pandashire New Member

Sounds like a holster problem to me.

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It sounds like the holster doesn't have a big enough sight channel.

7. mpc

mpc New Member

There might be a correlation there. While you don't have to break the bank to get a decent holster, shelling out a few bucks for your carry gun holsters, will be worth it in the end.

8. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

:?

How do you wear this IWB???

[​IMG]

I'm curious about that one....

I have a couple of Tagua holsters. They aren't bad for the money, but I've never been a fan of anybody's belt slides for the reasons the OP stated.

9. mpc

mpc New Member

Those are a complete waste of money. I [wasted] my money on one. They don't work well. They might be handy in a pinch, but other than that...

10. guardguy

guardguy New Member

There is a metal clip on the back side, you just reverse they way you holster it. I just picked up one for temporary use till I find a better one and get it ordered. It does the job I guess, but I would hate to have to draw in a life or death situation. Think I am going to pickup a Kydex holster till I can pick something better out.

11. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Your "blocky front sight" has to negotiate your trousers, your shirt, your underwear, and then the lip of that holster. It's just all wrong. Save your duckies for a holster that gives you a protected draw for the full length of the piece and you'll be good to go. It might even be worth a custom build. My holster was made by a local gentleman. It's pigskin lined, and smooth as silk!

12. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

The blocky front sight for the 1911R1 isn't made for belt-slide holsters that expose so much of the slide and the belt slide wasn't built for tall, blocky front sights. Of the two, I'd change out the belt-slide holster first.

Save up a few weeks; get something that has a full-length sight track, you won't regret it.

13. guardguy

guardguy New Member

When ahead and ordered a Comp-Tac Minotaur. I had one for my Glock years ago and loved it. I think that will fix my draw problems.

14. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

I actually have one of these. I would not use it as a IWB, but as a OWB in certain situations, it works pretty well. I would never use as an OC holster since there is absolutely no retention at all, but as a CC holster it holds my Officers Size 1911 and Ruger P90 pretty well.

I have other better quality holsters that I normally use.

To each his own.

15. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

You won't be disappointed. :righton: