Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on my draw of my Remington 1911r1 from a concealed holster. When trying to rapid draw, the front sight which is very squared and blocky, drags and hangs in the holster slowing my draw time severely. I can't get it to clear the slide hostler good enough half the time. This holster is not rock solid and moves slightly when drawing, plus it is not reinforced so it collapses when drawing. Any suggestions? Is this a technique issue, holster problem or a front sight problem?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Belt is a reinforced leather belt which is very stiff. The holster was the cheapest they had, a Tagua leather slide holster. I figured it would work till I researched and found the perfect holster for me. It works ok till it is time to draw. Here is a good picture of it:

http://www.paradigmtacticalgear.com/Tag ... -tgl34.htm

Adam5 said:
What kind of holster and belt are you using?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I had a couple Taguna holster during my search for a good holster and i didnt like how they carried and felt either.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
guardguy said:
The holster was the cheapest they had, a Tagua leather slide holster.
There might be a correlation there. While you don't have to break the bank to get a decent holster, shelling out a few bucks for your carry gun holsters, will be worth it in the end.

·
Super Moderator
7,126 Posts
Very versatile holster,can be worn inside the waistband or on the belt.
:?

How do you wear this IWB???

I'm curious about that one....

I have a couple of Tagua holsters. They aren't bad for the money, but I've never been a fan of anybody's belt slides for the reasons the OP stated.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Archangel said:

Those are a complete waste of money. I [wasted] my money on one. They don't work well. They might be handy in a pinch, but other than that...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Archangel said:
I have a couple of Tagua holsters. They aren't bad for the money, but I've never been a fan of anybody's belt slides for the reasons the OP stated.
There is a metal clip on the back side, you just reverse they way you holster it. I just picked up one for temporary use till I find a better one and get it ordered. It does the job I guess, but I would hate to have to draw in a life or death situation. Think I am going to pickup a Kydex holster till I can pick something better out.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Your "blocky front sight" has to negotiate your trousers, your shirt, your underwear, and then the lip of that holster. It's just all wrong. Save your duckies for a holster that gives you a protected draw for the full length of the piece and you'll be good to go. It might even be worth a custom build. My holster was made by a local gentleman. It's pigskin lined, and smooth as silk!

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
The blocky front sight for the 1911R1 isn't made for belt-slide holsters that expose so much of the slide and the belt slide wasn't built for tall, blocky front sights. Of the two, I'd change out the belt-slide holster first.

Save up a few weeks; get something that has a full-length sight track, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When ahead and ordered a Comp-Tac Minotaur. I had one for my Glock years ago and loved it. I think that will fix my draw problems.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I actually have one of these. I would not use it as a IWB, but as a OWB in certain situations, it works pretty well. I would never use as an OC holster since there is absolutely no retention at all, but as a CC holster it holds my Officers Size 1911 and Ruger P90 pretty well.

I have other better quality holsters that I normally use.

To each his own.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
guardguy said:
When ahead and ordered a Comp-Tac Minotaur. I had one for my Glock years ago and loved it. I think that will fix my draw problems.
You won't be disappointed. :righton:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts