Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watced Tron tonight. I have to say that I was a little surprise by Disney. I thought some off the things in the movie were not fit for kids. Things like running from the police, people killing others to survive, people shattering into nothing without meaningless life, semi seductive women and the David Bowe type character.

I dont have children but have that do and my ex who had children who I still am an adult figure to. I thought it was a pretty cool movie for what it was given the special effects and all, but thought it was more adult orient.

Of course I have heard the other suggestive themes about other movies Disney has made but Is Disney tainted by society in your opinion? What do you allow your kids to watch? Given that there are diverse opinions out there, let us all be polite to on another.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
there are movie ratings for a reason :righton:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
patrick4588 said:
there are movie ratings for a reason :righton:
yes, but just didnt figure Disney for the type I guess. If nudity on tv became more acceptable on tv, how would Disney follow along? Society pushes, acceptance is given, others follow. Where do limits and boundries start and stop?

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Disney stopped making movies just for kids a long time ago.
Pirates of the Caribbean
National Treasure
Shrek
etc.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Math Teacher said:
Pirates of the Caribbean
National Treasure
Shrek
etc.
I never used to pay much attention in the past, but I guess since late experience with kids my eyes have been opened a bit

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts
The underlying themes in recent Disney movies have been a little suspect of late, as well.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,989 Posts
Walt would have never let his company slide like it has. Unfortunately, the company still rides the tails of its former family image to slide a lot of stuff out there and push the boundaries, and essentially say, "See, it's not so bad; we're Disney". :puke:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Phil1979 said:
Walt would have never let his company slide like it has. Unfortunately, the company still rides the tails of its former family image to slide a lot of stuff out there and push the boundaries, and essentially say, "See, it's not so bad; we're Disney". :puke:
Agreed

·
Clueless
3,707 Posts
Why must Disney stay oriented as a production company for kids? The messages portrayed by Disney Classic movies are okay with you? :screwy: If it bothers you that much don't let your children watch any Disney movies.

"You shouldn't let your kids watch a Disney movie because it portrayed death."
"You shouldn't own guns because they are portrayed as a mechanism to facilitate death."

Blah blah blah.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
streetriots said:
Why must Disney stay oriented as a production company for kids? The messages portrayed by Disney Classic movies are okay with you? :screwy: If it bothers you that much don't let your children watch any Disney movies.

"You shouldn't let your kids watch a Disney movie because it portrayed death."
"You shouldn't own guns because they are portrayed as a mechanism to facilitate death."

Blah blah blah.
Sir,
Thank you for your opinion.

Clay

·
Registered
285 Posts
I liked the new one, it was entertaining. Of course the first one trumps it in my eye for the nostalgia factor and newness at the time. I didn't think it was too much for kids.

It was a classic good vs. evil, freedom vs. control tale, no issues here.

Whenever there's a decent remake or some type of homage to the things I grew up with (Star Wars, Transformers, Atari, Star Trek, Raiders etc) I look at them as little gifts of awesomeness. I'm glad so much of what I thought was cool back then translates again to other generations and that i get to share them with my daughter.

When I turned on Tron she asked if I could help her fix her racetrack. I said sure and we can set it up in the tv room so we can watch Tron. She said why have you been wanting to see it? I said, yup .. for about 28 years ... :shattered:

Sadly she thought it was a bit boring .... :(

·
Senior Mumbler
6,671 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
The underlying themes in recent Disney movies have been a little suspect of late, as well.
Some would say they have always been underlying themes at Disney.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
The Math Teacher said:
Pirates of the Caribbean
National Treasure
Shrek
etc.
This.
Disney doesn't protect the brand to being exclusive G rated movies anymore. They have expanded the brand to include broader entertainment options like the movies above. To secure the you children-friendly, animation audience under one brand, they have incorporated Pixar. My children went to see Tron Legacy with me, but they were older (13 and 16). It was a good movie, but living up to the original probably wasn't possible.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
rmodel65 said:
i honestly cant sit thru the original because of the special effects lol
Well, if Lucas or Spielberg get their hands on it, I'm sure they will 'touch it up' for you :)

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,026 Posts
The Math Teacher said:
Pirates of the Caribbean
National Treasure
[s:1wv3v46a]Shrek[/s:1wv3v46a]
etc.
FTFY...Shrek was made by DreamWorks...completely different studio...

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
rabbivj said:
The Math Teacher said:
Pirates of the Caribbean
National Treasure
[s:2d7zihs7]Shrek[/s:2d7zihs7]
etc.
FTFY...Shrek was made by DreamWorks...completely different studio...
I stand corrected. :oops:

The point was Disney has gone way beyond Bambi. (Which was actually kind of violent if you think about it. :wink: )

1 - 20 of 24 Posts