Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Registration is open for a Trigger Management class with @legacy38 at Trigger Management. This is on May 20th 2023 in Martin, GA.

I have added it to my calendar! Who wants to have a GPDO reunion and work on our fine tuned trigger skills?

Remember if you want to be good - like world champion good - with a pistol that trigger control is a critical component of the firing process. Can never have too much practice or coaching on this.

· Man of Myth and Legend
19,659 Posts
How far is Martin from the Tugaloo State Park or Lake Hartwell campgrounds? If I could get a site I might get wife convinced to visit.

Checking distance make it seem about 10-15 miles. Methinks I have some figuring to do.

Nemo

Reactions: frankr

· Deplorable bitter clinger.
6,095 Posts
I'm very interested in this one.

Added: I'm signed up for this one.

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I not only have it on my calendar, but I've put my money on the table. Paid to register via Eventbright. I also have my GSSF matches lined up for next year. Other than the monthly matches, I have one major match in Dawsonville in March before this class and one in September in Talladega after this class. Gotta keep on training to be the best I can be.

6,095 Posts
I not only have it on my calendar, but I've put my money on the table. Paid to register via Eventbright. I also have my GSSF matches lined up for next year. Other than the monthly matches, I have one major match in Dawsonville in March before this class and one in September in Talladega after this class. Gotta keep on training to be the best I can be.
I'll see you there.

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have any of you taken a trigger management course proper before? What drills do you work into your dry routine in the weeks and months leading into the class?

Do you use a par timer to run compressed suprise break drills where you quickly pull the trigger on the external stimulus? Admittedly this is easier with a Mantis X than it is with balancing the penny on the front sight post.

I personally have been using my dry practice to practice shot calling and in my latest live fire I am about 75% of the way there being able to tell you where my shot went without the need to shift focal planes to look for the holes.

I am currently experimenting with flipping my finger off the trigger after the press to avoid moving the gun by pinning the trigger back. This has increased the number of high scores (97.5% +) on the Mantis so I think it is a useful technique. I have heard a presentation by Mike Seeklander on this, which despite being the first elimination on Top Shot 12 years ago, I would consider a reasonably reputable source. I think this is related to the flip technique taught at the Rogers Shooting School based on my reading from other sources.

· Super Moderator
74,285 Posts
All the way off? Why not just back off to reset, so you are ready to shoot again? In a life or death situation, you may need to shoot more than once in quick succession (and, indeed, I train to get off the second shot without any time intervening other than that necessary to make the shot on target instead of a complete miss).

Ever practice Mozambique Drills?

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the way off? Why not just back off to reset, so you are ready to shoot again? In a life or death situation, ...
Well in dry fire practice there is no slide movement or reset so I am trying to approximate letting my finger go so that it would be back at the reset point when my sights arrived back on target. This is as opposed to holding it back until I lower and rack the slide to reset the striker. If I keep pressing and hit the back of the travel (is that over travel?) then it does appear to cause the muzzle to move sufficiently to reduce a 97% to a 92% according to the Mantis X. What that equates to on an actual target I am unsure.

The gold standard is apparently to let the gun reset during the recoil process so that you are ready to shoot as you said. Lee Weems sent me this link on this blog The Trigger Reset Question that includes videos from Dave Spaulding and Ernest Langdon. Both very worth watching.

I did do some drills like the Mozambique in the defensive pistol class with Wayne Lanier. I got all my hits in the time limit he had set, but wasn't pushing as fast as one can see in videos on the Internet. It is a good skill to have.

I appreciate the feedback. I am basically reading everything, journaling, and cross referencing advice between sources and then trying it for myself.

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't want to accidentally misrepresent what Mike Seeklander was explaining. This video starting at 14:59 is the part of the presentation I was talking about.

6,095 Posts
Thanks for posting the Mike Seeklander video. Good stuff. I tend to ride the trigger a bit, I don't usually let off the trigger totally between shots. I'm really looking forward to the Lee Weems class. I've taken probably 10 classes with Lee. He is a wonderful instructor. He got me started in my journey as an instructor. My prep is my usual dry practice for a few minutes each day, including drawing from concealment. I get a lot of live practice opportunities at the range where I instruct, so I'll be doing some draw and shoot for time, and a lot of dot drills.

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I look forward to training with you in Lee’s class @DonT! I am comparitively a nobody with little formal experience. I have only had a few classes and have been competing since last August. I have mostly been self study for the last 15 years.

Reactions: DonT

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What dummy rounds / snap caps do you guys use? I have 10 Tipton snap caps with a spring. They now cost $20 for a pack of 5. The equipment list for this class says a minimum of 25 dummy rounds are required. Before I drop $60 on more of the same snap caps i wanted to see what others are doing.

These are the ones I have https://smile.amazon.com/Tipton-Reu...ap+caps&qid=1669429501&sprefix=,aps,81&sr=8-6.

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts