Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
68,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trial of Pasadena police officer begins today

In court Tuesday, Assistant District Attorney Joe Owmby said Kacz, 26, fired his weapon at least three times at a passenger of a Ford Explorer that had cut him off during the early morning of March 23 on Beltway 8 near Spencer.

Kacz's attorney, Greg Cagle, said his client identified himself as an officer and followed the vehicle because it was "running lights and driving extremely dangerously." Kacz was not wearing a uniform. He was driving his personal Nissan pickup.

Kacz followed the Explorer, occupied by at least four people, into the parking lot of an apartment complex at 7201 Spencer. He showed his weapon and fought with Cornelio Barrera before the gun fired.

As Barrera got back in the car and fled, Kacz fired at least three more rounds, striking the Explorer's license plate, prosecutors said.

Barrera's brother, Esteban, testified that he was driving the Explorer when he cut off another vehicle, which led to the officer chasing them.

When they arrived at a red light, someone got out and tapped a gun on the sideview mirror, Esteban Barrera said. He said he ran the red light to flee because he thought the man would kill him. Cagle has said Kacz identified himself as an officer at that point, but Barrera said he did not hear that.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Cop should have called *chp on his cell instead.

Would you stop for some stranger waving a gun at you and then some sort of badge from a car on a California road?

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
CoolHand said:

Would you stop for some stranger waving a gun at you and then some sort of badge from a car on a California road?
No, I would have kept going and called the cops myself.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Gunstar1 said:
CoolHand said:

No, I would have kept going and called the cops myself.
I have (a badge, not a gun)! Back when I was younger my buddy and I were going to see Enter the Dragon in the Theater (yeah, that long ago - MP was probably in 3rd grade and it was before cell phones) and were driving down I-80 (6-lane highway). I smoked at the time and of course didn't have a whole lot of money so I was rolling and smoking Prince Albert in a can. Well, you know what those little ciggies look like right? I was driving along smoking my Prince Albert "pinner" and this beat up green car pulls along, honks the horn, and flashes a badge. We look at each other and say "Holy sheep shit!" and pull over. They (2 of them) searched us (pockets, down boots, etc. - we didn't know any better) and made me break open all my little cigs. :cry: They bantered back and forth between themselves "should we take them in...blah...blah. They "decided" to let us go. Was freaked out for quite a while. We always wondered later if they were real cops - they probably were - this happened on a busy freeway in broad daylight.

P.S. - My buddy had his smoking materials and pipe too but it wasn't Prince Albert. It was in the only jacket pocket they didn't check. :wink:

·
68,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When they arrived at a red light, someone got out and tapped a gun on the sideview mirror, Esteban Barrera said. He said he ran the red light to flee because he thought the man would kill him.
Cop is lucky he was not shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts