Travelling Trough Illinois

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by EagleEye920, Feb 28, 2006.

1. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Hey All,

I'm heading to St. Louis this weekend from Atlanta. Going through TN, then KY, then IL, then to St. Louis.

I've tried to interpret the IL stuff but it confuses me.

Seems like TN, KY, and MO are fine with me driving through their states but IL is a little more strict. I'll try to keep my speed down through there to avoid anything but wanted to get any advice if you guys knew.

It seems that I might be okay leaving it in the center console but other places seem to say that I must have it in a case, unloaded, in the trunk.

Any other interpretations out there?

Thanks for the help!
    IWB

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a Georgia firearms license?

3. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Yep. Sorry should have stated that :D

4. Malum Prohibitum

720 ILCS 5/24-1) Sec. 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.

(a)(4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card;

Of course, you are always safe "passing through" any state with the firearm unloaded, separate from its ammunition, and locked in a case in the trunk. I usually interpret this to mean loaded on my front floorboard . . . :shock:

Of course, I have carried on my person in downtown Chicago, so . . . I wouldn't listen to anything I have to say on the subject if I were you.

5. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

I just love how some laws are so vague. I appreciate your reply. Sucks that I even have to ask the question though :?

Have a great day! :D
    IWB

6. Woody_the_Infidel

Woody_the_Infidel New Member

Watch out for IL. They are a commie, anti-gun state. I pass through regularly on the way to MO to see the family. I keep everything cased and in the trunk and even separate the upper and lower on my AR. I watch my speed closely too.

7. Hedge

Hedge New Member

travel in Illinois

The advice given previously is all good (weapon in case in trunk, locked), although I'd recommend staying in Tenn, going through Memphis and running I-55 up to Missouri. Not based on gun laws in Illinois, but based on their roads. Possibly the only thing worse than Illinois' gun laws are their roads.

(I have to make the same trip when I go to visit relatives in Iowa, and Iowa's gun laws are about as bad as Illinois).

Keith

8. Malum Prohibitum

9. wwomack

wwomack New Member

What confuses me about this story is why the guy didn't just walk away when the security guards started demanding things of him. Even if I'm on someone's private property they have no right to detain me and search me. I would be amazed if this case isn't thrown out because of the nature that the evidence was found. Even if it isn't thrown out on that basis, the man was well within the law (even if it's a tricky way around a bad law).

His lawyers will have a field day with this case as well. The mall and the pd both need to get sued for false arrest and imprisonment.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Yeah, but that last part was very, very bad!

Random thought: I wonder why the people who attack the bill to allow national reciprocity for firearms licenses as unconsitutional [see here http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383 for the pending bill] never attack the FOPA on the same ground?

11. Malum Prohibitum

That bothers me, too.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Hey, apparently, "aldermen" are excepted fromthe handgun laws!

:shock:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/cust ... 0676.story

They found drugs and guns on this Chicago alderman, but no problem for the gun, because for them, it is legal!

And she needs it

13. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Too bad the unwashed masses aren't afforded the same rights... :x