Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be going to Indiana on Monday and just had a couple of questions.

I will be flying Delta.

The handgun needs to be in a locked hard-sided case. But can that case be in my checked bag?

I see that Indiana is reciprocal with Georgia which is good. I plan to open carry while there. Anyone know the specifics on where I can or can't carry? Do I need to show police my carry permit if asked?

Thanks for any help/links!

UPDATE----see below.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Re: Travelling to Indiana for job training

No it cannot be in your checked bag and it must be checked in separately. Go to Delta.com and it will give your more detailed rules...it is simple I have done it before but you must follow the rules completely....

·
Registered
6,548 Posts

Get there a little earlier than normal. Usually it's pretty quick and painless to check a gun, but just in case there's an issue you don't want to miss your flight b/c of it. Make sure to checkout the latest requirements for the case, locks, carrying ammo, etc. Giving Delta a call should get you that info pretty quickly.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts

P.S. I would also see if you can find some traveler's insurance that would cover your gun. There have been a few instances I've read about where the airline has lost a checked gun and refused to pay for it.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

Dan4010 said:
No it cannot be in your checked bag and it must be checked in separately. Go to Delta.com and it will give your more detailed rules...it is simple I have done it before but you must follow the rules completely....
I don't think this is correct. The locked case can go inside your checked bag. Put the gun in a locked hard case (NOT a "TSA Approved" lock, but a real lock) and then put this inside your suitcase. Lock the suitcase with a TSA lock. I've done this a couple of dozen times.

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts

ChipM said:
Dan4010 said:
I don't think this is correct. The locked case can go inside your checked bag. Put the gun in a locked hard case (NOT a "TSA Approved" lock, but a real lock) and then put this inside your suitcase. Lock the suitcase with a TSA lock. I've done this a couple of dozen times.
That's the way I always do it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

When I typed the first response I meant that it could not be checked in your checked baggage at the counter or curb side. I was not descriptive enough.....

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

I just noticed the main points hadn't been covered yet:

YOU MUST DECLARE THE GUN when you check your bag. They'll either ask if it is unloaded, or ask them to show you, then give you a tag for the case and send you to the TSA office where it will again be inspected. Remember that the orange tag goes on the GUN case, not the suitcase (you don't want your average baggage slinger to know there is a gun inside).

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ok so enter airport with gun case and suitcase in separate hands. check gun case and lock it after inspection. insert into checked bag and check said bag.

My memory of the airport doesn't provide many places to go before checking the bag. don't you walk in and check the bag immediately? So where do I do all this gun checking?

A closer inspection of the above post gives me my answer.
Thanks everyone!

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts

Campeck1911 said:
Ok so enter airport with gun case and suitcase in separate hands. check gun case and lock it after inspection. insert into checked bag and check said bag.

My memory of the airport doesn't provide many places to go before checking the bag. don't you walk in and check the bag immediately? So where do I do all this gun checking?

A closer inspection of the above post gives me my answer.
Thanks everyone!
I walk in with my bags packed. I get to the check in counter and inform the ticket agent I need to check a firearm...after a funny look...they say OK. I then unzip my bag, unlock the hard side case and show them it is unloaded. They look at it with confusion and pretend to understand. I fill out a small orange tag and the agent signs off that the firearm is unloaded. The tag is placed inside the hard case. They inform me to take the bag to oversized luggage where TSA does an additional screening of the bag and weapon. After that I leave the bag there and go wait in the security line.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

well the snow cancelled my trip. So now instead of Indianna I'm going to Cali.

Guess I can't carry there huh? Sheesh....

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts

Dan4010 said:
It (I am assuming a handgun) MUST be in a locked case in your checked bag. They ain't gonna let you take it in your carry on. I do not recommend carrying the gun case into the airport separately. I pack it in my bag that I am checking near the top, and only take it out at the counter if requested (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't). Save yourself a headache and do NOT mention ammunition. However do ensure you have the ammo in the correct type of carrier (check TSA website for details).

Dan4010 said:
When I typed the first response I meant that it could not be checked in your checked baggage at the counter or curb side. I was not descriptive enough.....
Nope. You can't check it in curb side, you DO check it at the counter. Where else is there to check your bag?

Campeck1911 said:
I'm going to Cali. ... Guess I can't carry there huh? Sheesh....
You can't carry (unless you want to play unloaded open carry / open carry there and I wouldn't recommend it) but you can have it locked in a case in your vehicle (trunk) and in your hotel room.

Nothing over a 10 shot magazine though. I called the AG's office before I went there and got the info.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I'm back in town after my lovely trip to San Diego. Man I wouldn't have a problem at all staying fit out there. They have more beaches, boardwalks, skiing, surfing, skating, mountain hiking, dirt biking, rock climbing, weed smoking, misc activities than you can shake a stick at.

My boss offered me a job out there...

I think my pay would have to double for me to seriously consider...although it would be nice with so many things to do.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts

dcannon1 said:
P.S. I would also see if you can find some traveler's insurance that would cover your gun. There have been a few instances I've read about where the airline has lost a checked gun and refused to pay for it.
There was one instance on here, where the member claimed first the TSA, then Delta, stole his gun. I called him on it, and he has not returned, since. This would be a matter for the FBI, but he thought he'd bully an airline into buying him a new gun. Oh, well, it did not work. If the airline watches the video from when you claim to have checked in a gun with the ticket counter staff and the TSA, then you claim the gun is missing, but there never was a gun, you are pretty well screwed. No insurance will help you here, as there is no cure for stupid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts