traveling with handguns

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by jeepsterwannabe, Jun 15, 2007.

1. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

ok, i am flying to jamaica for a week and i just began to wonder what the rules are for international travel with guns? i have flown with guns before but always inside the USA and i seem to understand that some. but i wonder what policy is on international flights and guns,

how would you find these regulations?

how would you find out the laws for guns in a foriegn country?

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Call up their embassy here in the US. They should be able to tell you or get you their gun laws.

3. wwomack

wwomack New Member

Jamaica has some of the strictest gun control laws in the world so you will not be able to bring any guns with you. They have a complete ban on all private ownership of firearms and ammunition. Of course, they also have extremely high murder and crime rates a lot of which involves guns.

4. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Incredibly potent marijuana = Yes
    Self Defense = No

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

That seems to be a trend.

Canada: pot? good
    Guns? bad

Holland: pot? good
    Guns? bad

America: pot? bad
    Guns? good

6. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Is there any country that considers both guns and pot good? That would be a "good thing" as Martha says... :righton:

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

8. Malum Prohibitum

Jamaican War Zone

Dave Kopel, excellent, as always.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Just say no.

10. Sharky

Sharky New Member

One of my engineers was working in Jamaica. Here is his story.

I was on my way to the plant for the review and on the way the guide told me we would stop at the hotel, check in and then head to the plant.

He gave me exact directions, never leave the resort hotel at all! NEVER. on the way to the plant we noticed a large group of people circling a small store. Wierd part was everybody had a machetee (Spelling?) in their hand. A few more feet past the store lay parts of 2 or 3 men. Supposeldy they stole from the owner and the other store owners and citizens decided what to do with the bad guys.

Cops, the few that were available and actually showed up, did nto get involved for fear of being killed themselves for interfearing.

This is an actual story as my engineer is credible.....so i think!

11. mmmTang

mmmTang New Member

A couple of my friends just got married in Jamaica in early May, and I spent most of a week there. That place is a hell hole. Like Sharky said, DO NOT GO OFF THE RESORT! Jamaica is a third world country and you are viewed as easy money. You are viewed as easy money by thugs and police alike, so just try to stay out of any and all trouble. Marijuana is not legal there, but the only people that get busted are tourists b/c tourists are the only ones with money. I don't think Jamaican jail would be a pleasant experience, so just try to be good.

If you are travelling with women, then do NOT let them out of sight at any time. Rape is basically acceptable there as long as a tourist isn't the one committing the crime (that's basically how all crime works there). It sure seemed like the majority of Jamaican men will solicit your wife for all kinds of things as you are walking down the beach holding hands, so if you think there'd be much pause for them if you weren't there, then you're kidding yourself. I saw this first hand, and it's no BS. It's one of those things where you figure out very quickly that things can go south in a heartbeat, and you are severely outnumbered and therefore helpless. Very few people in the wedding party ventured off the resort after the first day.

I brought a 4 D-cell Maglite with me and carried it whenever it was dark, even on the resort. I got made fun of for having it the first day, but the comments suddenly stopped by the second day. You can't have a gun or even mace/pepper spray so you'll have to carry some kind of blunt weapon that isn't a weapon. Since the island is filled with tourists with no weapons and lots of money, being seen with a big metal club makes you not worth the effort.

12. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I went for my "short" honeymoon there. We never left the resort and where we stayed was just row after row of resorts but I agree with the above statements. I'd not leave and go wandering for anything. If you knew your way around it might be ok, but being obvious tourists and having such a high chance of wandering into the wrong kind of area - high chance because there seem to be such a large % of bad areas - and being defensless just adds up to being a walking bullseye.

The long one was to the Dom Republic and was prior to the wedding :wink:
    If you think Jamaica is bad try going further south. DR was actually very scary and seriously 3rd world in feel. We left the resort one time to walk through the tourist trap shops right outside the resort walls (the place we stayed was bounded by 15' walls!). After we saw two of the local constabulary snag some guy & shove him around & then drag him off with no discussion or debate or explaintion we didn't come out from behind those walls again. On the back to the airport we got to watch a guy in full military garb & sporting a shotgun literally yank another person out of a their vehicle & throw them to the ground and point the boomstick at their head. No clue what was going on but it looked like a random stop. As much as I enjoyed the beach I was very happy to go home....

The sad thing is there are precious few places that we can take our weapons to when we travel if it's outside the USA. :(