Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to travel up north and stay in the mountains of Tennessee for a weekend in the near future. I've done my research on TN law in regards to carry.

I know I'm good for state/national parks, public parks, etc.

I know that posted establishments hold weight of law, but the sign must meet a proper requirement or else it isn't legally binding.

I intend to not only have my EDC with me but also a rifle. The rifle will be unloaded during transportation but loaded once at my destination and will serve as my nightstand gun.

Is there anything that isn't blatantly obvious that I should be aware of? Any potentially off limits land? COE land by chance?

Thanks guys. I'll probably post pictures after the trip. I've never been to the mountains.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The proper sign can be a simple gun buster symbol currently. Any place that had a gun ban sign before last year now have until 2018 to meet the new requirements. Places wanting to ban since the new law went into effect must meet the stricter requirements (wording with a gun buster of a certain size). So you could encounter signs that range from a 1-inch square gun buster to a 12 inch square explicit sign, and they all may be legal for the next year.

Many parks will still have "no weapons" signs; they are allowed to keep them up even though they do not apply to permitted gun carriers.

I can't think of any prohibited places that are different than GA, other than churches are treated like any other business. TN does have a vague "school function" language that theoretically can render any otherwise non-prohibited place to be suddenly off limits when a school group shows up.

I think less people OC carry here because of the fact that LEO'S can demand to see a permit coupled with the gotcha nature of some poorly posted locations. The law says the posting must be visible at each public entrance, but who decides what is in compliance?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noted. I usually conceal carry to unfamiliar locations anyways. I will be openly carrying during the drive but once we venture into town I'll cover it up for the reasons you mentioned.

I do appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump for another question.

I already know the law regarding handguns and lawful carry thanks to handgunlaw.us. I'm not concerned at all about lawfully carrying my sidearm during this trip.

However I will be staying in a cabin in the mountains. I've mulled over taking my AR-15.

Should I decide to take my AR-15, do I need to transport it a certain way while in Tennessee? I'm having difficulty finding a law specifying this.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I believe Tennessee used to require long guns be transported unloaded if you did not have a handgun carry permit, but they changed the law relatively recently to allow car carry in general with no permit:

Section 39-17-1307 lists carrying a firearm in an owned personal vehicle as an exception to the law prohibiting the carrying of firearms with the intent to go armed. The law changed in 2014.

Here is a "plain English" version from a newspaper article at that time: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2014/jul/09/new-gun-rights-law-takes-effect/251789/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.