Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Texas and will be traveling to Savannah Georgia for vacation. We now have licensed open carry. What do I need to know before I get there? I've checked several sites for the states along my route, but everything is from 2015. We have reciprocity with Georgia, so I'm wondering if I can legally open carry while there, or if I'd be better off concealing. Thanks.

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
While open carry is new to Texas it has been legal here for as long as I have been here. I relocated to GA from TX 23 years ago. Open carry at one time required it be in a holster or clip draw. This requirement was repealed years ago. Now you can even just stuff it in your belt even though I don't suggest it. You can carry here into bars, restaurants and night clubs that will allow it. Those that post signs may ask you to leave if they see it. If they do just leave and visit someplace else.

Anything else you would like to know just post the questions.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,933 Posts
Even if carrying on a reciprocal license, you carry according to the laws of the state that you visit.

If Texas had not passed open carry, you'd still be able to openly carry in Georgia.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,709 Posts
A good website to check for a summary of other state laws, for states you'll pass through, is www.handgunlaw.us

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
I live in Texas and will be traveling to Savannah Georgia for vacation. We now have licensed open carry. What do I need to know before I get there? I've checked several sites for the states along my route, but everything is from 2015. We have reciprocity with Georgia, so I'm wondering if I can legally open carry while there, or if I'd be better off concealing. Thanks.
Our laws are above. Click the "Gun Laws" tab. I would go to statutes and then look at 16-11-127 first.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Hello Robert!!! Welcome to Savannah. I hope you will enjoy your stay with us. I've lived in Savannah for 40 years. I carry both openly and concealed. People here are friendly and might ask about your gun if they notice you are carrying. There also might be some tourists who ask because they don't know our gun laws. A few minutes perusing Georgia's gun laws which MP pointed out above will benefit you immensely. Once again welcome and enjoy!!!

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,835 Posts
When you come venture down to B&J's steak and seafood in Darien on Thursday Friday or Saturday night and get the seafood buffet..you will not find a better place to get fried shrimp in georgia

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,600 Posts
I've used my Georgia carry license and the reciprocity rights that come with it to carry through Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas.
Now, in some of those places I'll admit that I haven't really done my homework and studied all the off-limits locations, whether there is a duty to disclose to a cop that pulls me over for speeding, etc. But investigating those issues ahead of time would be a good idea for every state you intend to carry in.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,933 Posts
We stopped there on our Savannah visit April, 2015. Ate mostly the crab legs with warm butter. Yum!

The only thing I didn't care for is you're practically elbow to elbow at the tables, and not much room to navigate.

When you come venture down to B&J's steak and seafood in Darien on Thursday Friday or Saturday night and get the seafood buffet..you will not find a better place to get fried shrimp in georgia

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Welcome to His Majesty's Penal Colony of Georgia. :)

Seriously, your license, person, and firearm are welcome here. I have carried with my GWCL in Texas, following your laws of course, so it is right that you should be able to do the same here. As has been noted, there are very few places that are legally off limits. Private owners are still able to tell you to leave, but only under trespass laws, not any magic "gun statutes". Enjoy visiting a fellow free state.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,835 Posts
We stopped there on our Savannah visit April, 2015. Ate mostly the crab legs with warm butter. Yum!

The only thing I didn't care for is you're practically elbow to elbow at the tables, and not much room to navigate.
thats why you take two skinny people to put on each side of you then you have plenty of room lol

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
We have a site called Texas 30.06. There's a map where you can see what businesses have signs posted and what the restrictions are. Is there something similar for Georgia businesses?
No. A business can have a gun-buster sign, but it has no weight. All a business owner can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse, *then* you can be arrested for trespass. The NO GUN sign can be 50 feet by 100 feet big and it wouldn't matter.

Oh yes, no 51% signs here...carrying in a bar (and even drinking...GASP!) is 100% legal here in Georgia.

I lived in San Antonio from 2006-2012. I disliked many of the Texas gun laws, they are MUCH more relaxed here in Georgia. Enjoy the visit!

SORRY...I am an idiot. I thought you were referring to 30.06 signs...my bad.

Here is a Google map that's updated by users for places that are friendly (and NOT friendly to guns): https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1igkXnan4t5Kf8elKhJINqNz1BNM

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
We have a site called Texas 30.06. There's a map where you can see what businesses have signs posted and what the restrictions are. Is there something similar for Georgia businesses?
Just because a business post a sign doesn't make it illegal to carry in that business. It is the wishes of the business owner that firearms not be carried there. No gun signs do not carry the weight of law. Carrying past one is not in itself a criminal act. Getting caught by the owner/agent and asked to leave can be a trespass charge if you refuse to leave when asked. If you do wish go into a business that has a sign posted just conceal and hope no one notices or lock it up and go without it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts