Transporting a loaded firearm

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by geaux_tigers, Mar 7, 2006.

1. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I was listening to Krok Talk on WSB Radio. One of his callers said that he was told by a DNR officer that he could only transport his rifle if it is unloaded. This made me a bit curious so I pulled up the code Georgia Code.

Section 16-11-126(d) reads:
    This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition. This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle; provided, however, that any person in possession of a valid permit issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle.

This says to me that, yes, transporting it unloaded and separated from its ammo is one option. Yet another option would be to transport it in a way that is fully exposed or in "the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle".

Would a gun rack mounted across the rear window in the cab of a truck constitute "fully exposed"?

Exactly what does "similar compartment of the vehicle" mean? Does that rule out the trunk of a car? What about a comparment that is not standard equipment on the vehicle (i.e. bed-mounted tool box, storage units like those marketed for Wranglers or LEOs)?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

OCGA 12-3-10(o) . . . It shall also be unlawful for any person to use or possess in any park, historic site, or recreational area any firearms . . . unless the device is unloaded and stored so as not to be readily accessible or unless such use has been approved within restricted areas by prior written permission of the commissioner of natural resources or his authorized representative.

3. Malum Prohibitum

O.C.G.A. 27-3-1.1. It shall be unlawful for any person on any wildlife management area owned or operated by the department:
    (1) To possess a firearm during a closed hunting season for that area unless such firearm is unloaded and stored in a motor vehicle so as not to be readily accessible;
    (2) To possess a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle during a legal open hunting season for that area;

4. Malum Prohibitum

This one really needs to be changed:

O.C.G.A. 27-3-6. It shall be unlawful for any person to possess any center-fire or rimfire firearm while hunting with a bow and arrow during archery or primitive weapons season for deer or while hunting with a muzzleloading firearm during a primitive weapons season for deer.

With the help of Ted Nugent, they changed it in Michigan.

5. Malum Prohibitum

OCGA 27-3-16.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession any firearms, axes, climbers, or other equipment for taking game while training hunting dogs, provided that handguns with blank ammunition or shot cartridges may be used for training hunting dogs, and shotguns with number six shot or smaller shot may be used while training pointing, flushing, and retrieving dogs using pen raised quail and pigeons.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Otherwise, I am aware of no law forbidding you from marching down Peachtree Street with your loaded AK-47, although you are sure to attract notice. The Black Panthers doing such things are, after all, what resulted in such silly open carry laws in California and Washington. See page 2 of this link: https://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... sc&start=0

The firearms license law applies only to handguns and "concealable" firearms.

7. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

But if you're in a car, you have to hang your AK out the window as you drive so it will be completely visible? :screwy:

8. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Wow. This one is just plain dangerous. What happens when you're attacked by a coyote? Do people hunt ferral pigs here? Guess you just have to be a really good shot. :roll:

9. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

The way these restrictions are scattered about in the Georgia code makes me think it is a consipracy to ensure that it is as difficult to comply as possible. Then there is always something to charge you with should someone decide had would be to their liking. :shakehead:

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

https://www.georgiapacking.org/gflpol.php

All the off-limit places we have found in the law is listed, except the capitol building, which is already covered under publicly owned or operated.

Took us a little while to find all of those. Some of them were only found after stories like that one on the radio.

11. thebugman

thebugman New Member

This is sort of funny.

From here...http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=16

12. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Gotta have it, but can't use it. I really hope they didn't intend for me to read it that way. :lol:

13. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Defenitely a confusing sentence. :?