Transacting LAWFUL or UNLAWFUL Business

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by jccls, Feb 26, 2007.

1. jccls

jccls New Member

This question is about OCGA 16-11-127.1(d)(1):

If a carrying individual is in transit to make a purchase at Wal-Mart and gets pulled over for speeding in a school safety zone, is he considered to be "in the ordinary course of transacting lawful business"? Could a case be made that, by speeding, he was acting unlawfully, and is therefore not exempt from OCGA 16-11-127.1?

How about if the individual failed to register his vehicle?

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Interesting question.

The one time I got pulled over it was next to my college, but I sure as hell was not going to pull into school grounds. I drove a ways down the road so I would not have to be on school property.

3. jccls

jccls New Member

Or is my question inconsequential if you have a GFL, based on (c)(7)? To me it says,

"(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to: (7)...any weapon legally kept within a vehicle in transit through a designated school zone by any person other than a student;"

Am I reading this correctly?

4. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

I think that regardless of the transit, lawful or unlawful, unlawfull being speeding; it should not matter, as you where in transit, I don't believe the code says anything that would construe speeding as unlawful transit.

5. Taler

Taler New Member

Doesn't lawful modify business? Transit doesn't mean "business", in my understanding.