Training with your Family

Discussion in 'Training' started by amrote, Oct 20, 2010.

1. amrote

amrote New Member

My wife and I went on a date yesterday and it consisted of lunch at the Olive Garden and then a trip to Shooters in Augusta GA. Now my wife has been taught to shoot by both the US Air Force and by the Firearms Training Unit of the FBI so she knows what to do. I am a firearms instructor myself, but I prefer she get training from other instructors as it just works better that way. With me being a LEO and her being in the medical field we don’t get many days off together and getting her to the range is rather hard.

I had just made some upgrades on someone’s Beretta 92 and wanted to take it to the range to shoot a few rounds and asked her to come with me. I had secretly packed her Glock 19 into my range bag and figured since we were there she might and well shoot a couple of rounds thru her gun. She was reluctant since she was tired from the night shift, but agreed to get me to shut up. She began to shoot and was anticipating the recoil at first, but after about 15 rounds she tightened up her group and had fun.

She even stated she was glad I “convinced†her to go shooting. She asked me how she could avoid anticipating the recoil and I told her she is going to have to shoot more. I know I can ball and dummy her to death, but I love shooting and want to share that experience with my wife. Being competitive in nature I think I just gave her a challenge she is determined to win.

Many times we get all this firearms and other “tactical†training, but fail to share it with the ones that mean the most to us. We are not always there to protect our loved ones. Take them with you when you go shooting, talk about awareness, have rehearsed plans. This is one of the things that is stressed to LE officers in officer survival courses. This hit home hard this year as my Aunt and Uncle were murdered in their house in the middle of the day. Take the time to train, work, and share your knowledge with your loved ones. Happy training.

2. livesounder

livesounder New Member

One of my daughters expressed an interest in self-defense a few weeks ago. After a few false scheduling starts, she, my son-in-law and grandson went with me to the range last weekend. First time shooting for my daughter and grandson.

A good time was had by all (though I fired very little). Everybody followed the rules nicely (though I hovered over my grandson just in case - he's seven) and my daughter has begun to develop some confidence and a sense of what she wants in a self-defense weapon - along with a good mind-set.

They all said afterword how much fun it was - though my daughter complained of a sore wrist and gave me a hard time about her sore shoulder after having her do one round with the shotty (there was an extended conversation about what's appropriate for home defense).

In the end, there was conversation (unprompted by me) about going again. Certainly a good sign.

A pleasant and relatively inexpensive way to spend some family time. I look forward to the next trip.

3. amrote

amrote New Member

Livesounder, that is awesome. I have had students come to my course and then turn around and send their wife. Lately I have had some mother-daughter and father-son combos comning to the courses. It is awesome to see them interact and get fired up about weapons training. I have found that when done with you family, shooting can be a fun activity for the whole family. I bought my son a Ruger 10-22 this summer and he is going nuts waiting to go shoot it. I plan on taking him to the next Appleseed in the area.