training regimens

Discussion in 'Training' started by legacy38, May 16, 2007.

1. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

What is your typical training regimen with your carry pistol?

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I would like but I go to the range once a month. I also shoot IDPA once a month as well.

I need to incorporate a lot more dry fire exercises to improve my accuracy. I shoot well at a range, but not so good under stress as shooting in IDPA has shown me. When the buzzer goes off, everything goes to crap for me! Wiley tells me I just need to slow down! I also intend to buy a 1:1 replica airsoft of my P228 so I can practice in my basement.

3. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

I usually start out with several magazines at the full length of the range I am at, to get the basics ingrained before I start doing quicker stuff at closer ranges.

Then the target moves back in quarters until I'm into the draw-at-close point and bang stuff.

about 300 rounds worth of training. Used to go every Saturday, but haven't been in a while. Now it's more of once a month.

I would love to have some moving targets though, both parallel and diagonally. Makes for better training, anyone wanna volunteer?

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Practicing with my Glock 17, I normally shoot the same course of fire that I shoot at GSSF indoor matches, minus the timer. 3 yards 10 shots, 7 yards 10 shots, 15 yards 10 shots, 25 yards 10 shots, 7 yards 5 shots, 15 yards 5 shots. I look at my target after after each distance. Any string that I'm not happy with, I'll do again afterwards.

Practicing with my Walther PPK/S, I mainly shoot at 3 and 7 yards, with a emphasis at 7 and a mag or two at 15. The small Walther isn't too practical much farther than that.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I train they way I think a real shoot would happen. (as much as I can do so at a range with rules)

I focus more on putting multiple shots in man stopping areas without lining up the sights.

Last weekend my brother convinced me to try out my rifle and pistol and he paid half for the ammo, so we went into the hills of Dawsonville and I got to practice drawing my pistol and shooting while getting off the X. It was a lot better to train like that. And now I am more confident in my ability to shoot and move.

6. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

I don't get to range practice as much as I would like to either. Usually 1- 2 times a month if I am lucky. My wife usually goes with me and we usually use up 300 -350 rounds. Mostly FMJ and some carry ammo.

7. Sgt.B

Sgt.B New Member

I shoot in a USPSA/IPSC match every week. IDPA maybe once a month.
    I also like to shoot highpower. My rifle work has taken a back seat lately though but I still dry fire,snap-in and do some 25 yard stuff.
    25 yards!!!-- yes it's an MOA thing. I do shoot my BUG before a match, every other week.

Most of my dry fire is for the matches but I don't think it hurts anything I would do in a defensive situation. I do a lot of presentations from the holster, sight picture and mag changes. Again most of this is for the match shooting.

I like IDPA and USPSA but I will tell you USPSA is not defensive shooting.
    It's fast, very fast with lots of movement and great FUN!!!

I mentioned rifle practice because I carry a rifle in my truck every day.
    Hey, if you have it you need to know how to use it. Right? Just for the bad guys out to 500 yards :lol:

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Am I the only person here that goes to the range atleast once a week? Those of you that shoot at home don't count.

9. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

I try to go to either Master Gunman after work, or American Classic Marksman during lunch once a week. I'll probably start going to Bullseye in Lawrenceville on Sundays when I'm ready to take out the AK.

10. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

Nope :D

-Jeff, who works 5 min away from American Classic Marksman and looks forward to Friday at lunchtime.

11. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

I shoot and take formal classes as much as I can afford...which isn't much when trying to pay for a wedding and getting ready for life afterwards. In my opinion, going to a range and putting holes in paper is just that and not really training. Indoor, I try to focus on trigger pull as well as draw stroke...then I speed up from there...mag changes...stoppages/malfunctions, etc. Like Ramm as stated above, 'getting off the 'x'' is the best way to train...cause in the real world...you either move and put rounds on target...or you die. I'm trying to put some money together to take a couple instruction sessions this summer and fall.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Do you have kids yet? If not, then trust me you will not make it to the range as much when they are really young. At least that has been my experience.

13. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

Nope. My wife and I make it to the range once per week, plus we may start IDPA soon.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Hey! :x

15. legacy38

I do a lot of plate shooting working on speed and target transition both from the various ready positions and from the holster both duty and concealment. I then back up to longer ranges to work on trigger control. I like to follow that up with shooting on the move and some off hand/one hand stuff.

It's a good idea to put stress on yourself and to push yourself. I like using a timer when shooting alone to measure myself against myself, but I find that I get more out of my training when someone else is controlling the drills and the settings and things get competitive. I tend to shoot much better under pressure as I lock in on what I am doing and and let my training take over.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Shocking how often you get a fistful of shirttail, isn't it? :D

17. legacy38

I usually grab the front of the shirt with my support hand at point just in front of the pistol and lift the shirt out of the way. This works better for me than sweeping the shirt out the way with my strong hand on the way to the pistol. I typically don't wear an open/unbuttoned cover shirt.