Surely you are not stating that perjury is an option? :evil:

·
Sledgehammer
4,716 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
How is this different from what I said?

Surely you are not stating that perjury is an option? :evil:
Of course not.

The third option does indeed require that you provide the name of the driver. The first option is likely to lead to a question of who the driver was, but does not explicitly require it. Several posters have asked what happens if you don't know who the driver was, and I thought you were responding to them by saying they must name the driver. I don't think they must. If they honestly do not know who the driver was, they may honestly say they do not know. The defense (option 1) is not automatically taken away if they do not know.

On the other hand, the defense in option 3 does indeed appear to require, absolutely, the name of the driver.

So, I would say that someone who does not know who the driver was can use option 1, but not option 3.

·
Sledgehammer
4,716 Posts
kkennett said:
And then, may I humbly suggest, there is option 4: stop at the red light.
Good one (although the original poster said the pictures were equivocal, so maybe he did stop).

Some may be wondering how on earth can you possible not know who is driving your car. Here's one possibility:

Your brother and his wife come over and ask if they can borrow your pickup to buy some furniture. Sure, you say, the keys are in the ignition (you don't even hand them to one of them in particular). You have no idea which one actually drives away, and you have no idea which one was driving when the picture was taken. You can't be required to provide the name of the driver, because you do not know. I think option 1 is available to you (along with option 4, of course).

41 - 47 of 47 Posts