Trading firearms between family members

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Psitech, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Psitech

Psitech New Member

I'm new to the handgun world as I've been a shotgun hunter all my life. I recently traded a 12gauge for a Ruger P97 with my Dad. He purchased the P97 and all papers are in his name. I was wondering if the gun has to be re-registered under my name and will this prevent me getting a carry permit for this gun.

Thanks in advance!

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Short answer: No, and no.

The long: Georgia law prevents any state or local agency from registering firearms, period. So it is impossible for you to register your gun even if you wanted to. (for insurance incase of loss or theft, you should simply right down the the model and serial number and keep it in a safe place outside of your home... locked filing cabinet at work, safety deposit box...etc)

That law preventing registration includes people applying for a License to carry. A license to carry a firearm means any pistol or handgun you own or borrow from a friend/relative (license is not limited by serial number or type since recording that information is illegal). So it does not matter to the license if you carry the gun you are talking about or one you may buy or trade for in 2 years.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Registration

You must go to the Albany police department and register them. Sometimes the police department does not want to register them, so you must really insist.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Hrmph.

Durn it! GS1 beat me to the punch by less than one minute! :banghead:

OK, ok, the preceding post was :bsflag:

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

There is no registration in GA!!!!

6. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Welcome aboard Psitech! It's good to have someone in the local area on board. Don't let Malum's jokes chase you off, he really does serve a usefull purpose here, we just have trouble remembering what it is now and then. :wink: Let me know if you need any local (Albany/Leesburg) advice. BTW, I shoot a Ruger P series pistol too, love that gun!

7. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Malum reminds me of the "drunk superman" joke :lol:

8. Psitech

Psitech New Member

Thanks for the quick response guys.....even Malum's. :)

After reading your posts, it looks like I don't need to do anything at all. I'm definitely a newbie and was a little worried about since it was the transfer of ownership of a handgun opposed to a long gun.

Gunny,
    Where can a guy shoot around here? I know there is a range on base, but I'm sure that is only for retired/active duty. I'm a civ employee on base. I usually shoot on my family's land out in the boonies over in southeast ga.

9. USMC - Retired

Psitech,
    I work on base too, as a contractor. I think Gov type Civilians can use the base range but it's only open for recreational shooting one day a month and that day its only open a few hours. Add that to the requirement to register your weapons with the base and it's just not worth the effort in my mind. The Albany police range is open to the public a few times a month but I have heard from a few friends that there are times when no one shows to open it up on the posted days, so I avoid that one too. There is an indoor pistol range at the Solo Archery shop on Philema Road, but the range fees a bit too high for me. There is a WMA range that is free of charge about 45 min away towards Alabama but I havent been there yet. The Sportsmans Club on Sportsmans Club Road off of Philema has a range that is open every Saturday and some other days. It's a members only place but an annual membership is only fifty bucks and there are no range fees for members so it's a pretty good deal and it's local. The money you would save in gas alone makes it worth the membership cost.

PS: Since you said you were a shotgun hunter I didn't bother mentioning the Flint Skeet and Trap club. I figured you already knew about them, love that place too!

10. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

P series

I love my P95DC. I have had it for 10 years now and shot at least 10,000 rounds without a problem. :lol: :D 8)

11. Malum Prohibitum

Why don't you ingratiate yourself with them and offer to open it on those days? :D

12. USMC - Retired

Why don't you ingratiate yourself with them and offer to open it on those days? :D[/quote:2ezk9iiq]

Way ahead of ya there MP. One of the other Hunters Education Instructors I teach with is a local LEO and is the firearms instructor for the Lee County LEO's. He has offered to get me the range for teaching CC courses and I figured once I get established with his bosses through that I will see about the public shooting thing. Baby steps ya know, not always good to hit em for everything you want all at once. 8)