Towns County LEOs busted for driveby...

Discussion in 'In the News' started by GAGunOwner, Jul 21, 2007.

1. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I saw on ch. 2 yesterday that two members of the Towns County Sheriff's Department were busted for doing a driveby shooting on someone's house. One was the chief deputy. The news says that a woman was involved in some way. I think the GBI did the bust.
    The sherriff says he's not quitting over this.

Real professionals.

2. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

More tarnish on the badge...

Thanks for the shining light guys.

3. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

But they can carry in a court house and many other places that most of us (except legacy and any other LEO's) can't.

:roll:

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Cheer up. There are court houses where I can't carry either.

5. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

I try real hard to stay away from court houses anyway. Lots of unsavory types like to hang out there, lawyers, tax collectors, and other folks that actually like to wear neckties and such. :wink:

6. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

Yeah, you may run into Malum and the infamous President's tie :twisted:

7. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

You're the exception not the rule though legacy.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Nobody carries in a federal courthouse except for their staff. Chatham, Fulton, and Bibb don't allow anybody to carry except for the courthouse staff. I'm sure there are a few more in GA, and I have heard of it in other states.

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Not being allowed to carry is different than it being illegal to carry.

10. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Okay then. I can't legally carry on a military base. :)

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Okay then. I can't legally carry on a military base. :)[/quote:f6mzvx7p]

I'm not an expert on this by any means but I have read that on-duty local LEOs are usually allowed to carry on base, if they are passing through or if they have cause.

12. merlock

merlock New Member

Okay then. I can't legally carry on a military base. :)[/quote:3olc0l1p]

I'm not an expert on this by any means but I have read that on-duty local LEOs are usually allowed to carry on base, if they are passing through or if they have cause.[/quote:3olc0l1p]
    I've seen WRPD, Houston Co. SO, Bibb Co. SO on Robins AFB armed. All were serving arrest warrants on civilian employees.

13. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Okay then. I can't legally carry on a military base. :)[/quote:rab1ck24]

I'm not an expert on this by any means but I have read that on-duty local LEOs are usually allowed to carry on base, if they are passing through or if they have cause.[/quote:rab1ck24]

I don't know if I would be allowed to carry on a base while on duty working a case. It could probably be arranged, but carrying while off duty would be a no go. I'm pretty sure the same applies to national parks and other federal reserves, but I'd have to look it up.

14. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Ford has a strict "no guns" policy.

This was instituted at the insistence of the UAW once the company was organized. The old Plant Protection goons (primarily former professional boxers) were always armed and usually dangerous. At least, they were dangerous to union organizers...

In the 60s and 70s, Louisville Assembly built cruisers for KSP. The agency would send a couple of troopers to inspect them before we shipped to a dealer. They always left their guns locked in a cabinet in Security when they entered the plant.

Local LEOs serving arrest warrants weren't allowed to carry in the plant. Someone would go get the person and bring him to Security on some pretext, usually an emergency phone call, where he would be placed under arrest.

Security still can't carry, other than those who serve as bodyguards for top management types. Bill Ford has refused to have them, but his dad still does! Of course, they're both probably in more danger as owners of the Lions than as members of Ford's board of directors...

Company-hired thugs no longer beat down union guys, so the original impetus for the rule doesn't exist. In recent years, eventhough the policy hasn't changed, most LEOs have refused to disarm and are no longer even asked to do so. Consequently, if Legacy visited a Ford location, he would be allowed to carry. But not the rest of us...

15. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Not to chest thump, but if I'm there executing a warrant or for any other official matter, anyone that interferes will get a free car ride, and I'll make dang certain that an Impala or a Charger is the car of choice for the ride. :)

If I'm there for a tour of the plant, I'll comply with the wishes of the private property owner.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Quit it, you guys. You know that GFL holders commit driveby shootings all the time.

17. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I always wondered why more cops didn't just insist, but it is a big place, about 3,000 people. Just wandering around looking for someone to arrest wouldn't be very productive. And once word got out the cops were there looking for someone, chances are that someone would make an early exit...

It seemed to work better to have security bring the guy to the cops. That was also the way papers were served on people. The deputies would just wait in Security drinking coffee while the person was brought to them. That happened at least once a month.

Maybe the fact almost all of our security people were former LEOs had something to do with current LEOs being cooperative with the system the company preferred.

I just remembered one of our more famous arrestees. The guy walked into a bank where his wife worked and shot her as well as a couple of others. He was arrested at work, using the normal system. The guy was dumb enough to shoot several people and go to work the next day and then follow a security guard to the office to receive an "emergency phone call"... #-o

He got life w/o parole. Several years later, a family court judge ruled he entitled to visitation rights with his kids and ordered the wife to take the kids to the prison to visit their dad... :screwy: And, it's not like he's in the prison close to Louisville. He's in Eddyville, which is a several hour drive.

18. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Sorry Dad.

:oops:

:lol:

19. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The system that you mentioned is definitely more effective than an officer wondering around the plant trying to find somebody, and it really isn't uncommon. Simply waiting near the time clock (out of sight) is another often used system.

I simply was stating that should I have felt the need to go into the plant or whatever else in the course of serving the warrant a company policy would not have caused to take off my weapon or wait in an office somewhere.

20. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:rotfl: