Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might seem like a lame question but I've never towed a trailer in Georgia.

If I tow a trailer during daylight hours that allows the tail lights of my vehicle to be seen, do I need to have working brake lights and turn signals on the trailer?

In my home state the answer is not unless the vehicle lights are blocked, or if it's after dusk. But not sure about Georgia.

I have never used the hitch on my current truck and don't know if the light connection even works.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Archangel said:
Might seem like a lame question but I've never towed a trailer in Georgia.

If I tow a trailer during daylight hours that allows the tail lights of my vehicle to be seen, do I need to have working brake lights and turn signals on the trailer?

In my home state the answer is not unless the vehicle lights are blocked, or if it's after dusk. But not sure about Georgia.

I have never used the hitch on my current truck and don't know if the light connection even works.
all lights should work, my friend got a ticket during the day after he got pulled over for a improper passing . And the officer also wrote him a ticket for no tag lights during a bright sunny day at around 1 pm .

So yes all lights should work day an night . What happens while you're driving during the day an all of a sudden it pours rain and clouds over head? You need lights to see right?

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
Small stump grinders ande some trnchers ou get from rental place3s have such small trailors that there are no lights and those are legal.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,086 Posts
It's my understanding that if the trailer has lights then they have to be in working condition. Small narrow trailers are not required to have lights if they do not block the view of the vehicle lights. But if they have them they must work. No this is not the law since I didn't go look it up. This is just the way it was explained to me once.

·
Super Moderator
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well crap... Guess I'm back to looking for a pickup truck..

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,412 Posts
I was curious what I could find ...

§ 40-8-23. Taillights
. . .
(b) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer manufactured after January 1, 1954, shall be equipped with two taillights which meet the specifications provided in this Code section.
But, light requirements appear to be waived for implements of husbandry (farm equipment)

§ 40-8-1. Application of article
(a) This article shall not apply to implements of husbandry, road machinery, road rollers, farm tractors, or three-wheeled motorcycles used only for agricultural purposes, except when expressly made applicable.
Except that reflectors are required for the exceptions

§ 40-8-24. Reflectors
. . .
(c) When operated, towed, or parked upon a highway, roadway, or street at any time, every trailer and semitrailer which would otherwise be exempt from this article as an implement of husbandry under Code Section 40-8-1 shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the taillights or separately, two red reflectors
Other things I noticed. People who string a piece of faded red tape off the end of their 10-ft 2x4s sticking off the back of their trucks don't come close to the requirements in § 40-8-27.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
if you don't have trailer light hook ups, u-haul will install them for you. they just tap the lines that are going to your lights already.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
Archangel said:
Ahhhha....you just looking for a reason to explain to the bosslady why you need a new truck.... :D

·
Super Moderator
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love my Suburban, just need to fit something tall in it.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
If your trailer blocks the lights on your tow vehicle, then you must have working tail, brake, turn signals and parking lights on the trailer just like any other vehicle.

However, if I understand your original question, they do not have to be on whenever the trailer is being towed. It should be the same requirements of any other vehicle on the road.

If it starts raining, lights on. Starting to get dark, common sense says turn on lights.

When I light up my trailer while towing, it looks like a giant Christmas tree only in red and orange instead of red and green. :)

What say you Rugerer?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Also, if you have the Chevy tow package, you should have a round light plug on the trailer hitch assembly.

If the trailer has a flat 4 plug on it, just go by any trailer hitch installation place or UHaul and buy a 7 to 4 adapter. Wal Mart also sells them.

·
Super Moderator
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Suburbbus said:
Archangel said:
If you just need it for a one time haul, go rent one from Home Depot.
Lights are the issue. I've never used the hookup on my truck and I am pretty sure they ain't gonna work.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
This is a long necropost, but it's relevant. I'm about to get a trailer, and I'm starting to look at what all I'll need and I ran across this topic on a Google search. One thing I noticed is that Georgia requires the [center of the] lights to be 20 or more inches above the ground. The vast majority of flatbed or shallow-rail utility trailers I see (like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612544_200612544) their lights don't come close to being 20 inches high. Any thoughts on how to come into compliance with that requirement? The other issue is back up in post 6, I went and looked at the flagging/lighting requirements for projecting loads and it looks like most things that could "project" more than 4 feet require a red light. Any idea where I even get one? A quick search for the usual places, Northern Tool, Tractor supply, etc. didn't turn one up, in fact I've seen only one result on Amazon.

·
Registered
756 Posts
A car can tow more than you may think. I tow a jetski, 3seater with a VW Bug. The Jetski has a dry weight of 836lb, with fuel (18 gallons), oil, and trailer the total weight is about 1200lb. I can tow it fine with a class 1 hitch.

·
Registered
756 Posts
if you don't have trailer light hook ups, u-haul will install them for you. they just tap the lines that are going to your lights already.
I just went through the process of adding a hitch to a car, and with experience would NOT recommend U-Haul to install your hitch or lights. Camping world or a place that sells camping trailers will probably give you a much better experience. I used a mechanic whom is located in Swanee near the south end of lake Lanier

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
as for the red light, you can find a battery -powered blinking red light at many hardware and sporting goods stores.
Hikers, hunters, and other outdoorsmen carry them for emergencies, in case they get lost in the woods.
Joggers and bicyclists wear them or attach them to their bikes while riding (or running) along the roads.
I've bought a few of them over the years. They range in price from $3 to $5. They usually take 2 or 3 batteries-- AA or AAA.
They're the size of a pack of cigarettes, roughly. Some are smaller-- more like a 50-round pack of .22 LR ammo.

These lights have a belt clip attached to them. But I would not trust it to hold the light securely by itself. Better to use some clear package-sealing tape to tape the light down to your vehicle or the load you're hauling.

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/150877916683?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

1 - 20 of 20 Posts