Tom Lowe Skeet and Trap

Discussion in 'Citizens Encounters' started by mdlott, Apr 23, 2017.

1. mdlott

mdlott Member

Went yesterday with two buddies to shoot. We normally shoot sporting clays, but wanted to change it up a bit.

I was openly carrying my beat up G27 in a Zookeeper. As we were checking in, I heard "are you a cop?". After I figured out the gentleman behind the counter was talking to me, I responded "no".

He told me that it would intimidate new shooters and to cover it up. I complied as it's obviously his property.

Shortly thereafter, a young man came up to me and commented about the encounter. He said, "isn't this a GUN RANGE". I agreed and wished him well.

The irony of displaying a firearm openly at a gun range. Go figure. No shortage of FUDD's ITP. I think I'll stay on the southside.

2. Feral

Feral Active Member

Wow. I wish I was surprised. I've met individuals similar to that.

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Fulton County public park property if nothing has changed. OC anyway there, and they can pound sand if they don't like it.

4. mdlott

mdlott Member

Are you saying that he did not have the authority to "trespass" me? Interesting. I was polite, but a little pissed off, given the fact that it was a damn gun range.

5. Phil1979

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Don't be so confident about that Phil 1979.
    Although the real estate is still owned by the Fulton County Department of Parks and Recreation, a private business entity operates the management of it.

7. Feral

Feral Active Member

Oh this grey area again.

8. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

What was the alternative version of this conversation?

"Are you a cop?"
    "Yes."
    "Okay then, please feel free to intimidate our patrons with your firearm."

(I don't believe that OC of a holstered handgun is intimidating. But if one did believe that, why would the occupation of the OCer be relevant?)

9. mdlott

mdlott Member

I thought about this as well. Pretty bass akward IMO.

10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Because certain occupations automatically come with capabilities that ordinary citizens can never possess.

11. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Should have told him you're part of the GZDF.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The real reason is the lessor is concerned about its lease with the county. They are concerned that if people carry non-sporting arms (pistols) openly, that Fulton County, which has already tried to kill the range more than once, will simply put an end to it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, this is in Fulton County. While another Fulton County judge might rule differently, you might get the same judge. Either way, another Fulton County judge is likely to at least be inclined to look at her ruling and consider ruling the same way for the sake of consistency.

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Then the range gets shut down because people wanted to be hard heads.

15. Phil1979

I don't understand the shutting down part. For following state preemption? Would it be a bad thing even if a non-compliant property (for following state law) gets closed? Just turn it into a city park then.

16. Phil1979

"Hard headed" just for wanting our rights honored? SMH

17. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

So if you can't openly carry at a certain gun range, you'd rather see it closed and not used for any shooting sports??

18. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The city has already tried to shut them down a few times.

19. papacarry

papacarry Member

Depending on my mood, I might have shot back and said, 'I'm not a cop but I am licensed and I have been vetted by the GBI and FBI to carry a firearm.'

Not always easy to confront stupid without escalation. In reality, I would have shot skeet and later asked management what their stated policy is.

20. Phil1979

Nah, I was just kidding. Any sort of gun range, bike path, public park, public anything, where you have the right to carry openly should just be able to tell you to get lost if you don't abide by their rules, regardless of what state law says.

</sarcasm>