Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went yesterday with two buddies to shoot. We normally shoot sporting clays, but wanted to change it up a bit.

I was openly carrying my beat up G27 in a Zookeeper. As we were checking in, I heard "are you a cop?". After I figured out the gentleman behind the counter was talking to me, I responded "no".

He told me that it would intimidate new shooters and to cover it up. I complied as it's obviously his property.

Shortly thereafter, a young man came up to me and commented about the encounter. He said, "isn't this a GUN RANGE". I agreed and wished him well.

The irony of displaying a firearm openly at a gun range. Go figure. No shortage of FUDD's ITP. I think I'll stay on the southside.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Fulton County public park property if nothing has changed. OC anyway there, and they can pound sand if they don't like it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fulton County public park property if nothing has changed. OC anyway there, and they can pound sand if they don't like it.
Are you saying that he did not have the authority to "trespass" me? Interesting. I was polite, but a little pissed off, given the fact that it was a damn gun range.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
No, they can't.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,531 Posts
Don't be so confident about that Phil 1979.
Although the real estate is still owned by the Fulton County Department of Parks and Recreation, a private business entity operates the management of it.

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
I was openly carrying my beat up G27 in a Zookeeper. As we were checking in, I heard "are you a cop?". After I figured out the gentleman behind the counter was talking to me, I responded "no".

He told me that it would intimidate new shooters and to cover it up.
What was the alternative version of this conversation?

"Are you a cop?"
"Yes."
"Okay then, please feel free to intimidate our patrons with your firearm."

(I don't believe that OC of a holstered handgun is intimidating. But if one did believe that, why would the occupation of the OCer be relevant?)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What was the alternative version of this conversation?

"Are you a cop?"
"Yes."
"Okay then, please feel free to intimidate our patrons with your firearm."

(I don't believe that OC of a holstered handgun is intimidating. But if one did believe that, why would the occupation of the OCer be relevant?)
I thought about this as well. Pretty bass akward IMO.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Because certain occupations automatically come with capabilities that ordinary citizens can never possess.

·
69,784 Posts
The real reason is the lessor is concerned about its lease with the county. They are concerned that if people carry non-sporting arms (pistols) openly, that Fulton County, which has already tried to kill the range more than once, will simply put an end to it.

·
69,784 Posts
Oh this grey area again.
Well, this is in Fulton County. While another Fulton County judge might rule differently, you might get the same judge. Either way, another Fulton County judge is likely to at least be inclined to look at her ruling and consider ruling the same way for the sake of consistency.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
I don't understand the shutting down part. For following state preemption? Would it be a bad thing even if a non-compliant property (for following state law) gets closed? Just turn it into a city park then.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
"Hard headed" just for wanting our rights honored? SMH

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,531 Posts
So if you can't openly carry at a certain gun range, you'd rather see it closed and not used for any shooting sports??

·
Registered
495 Posts

Depending on my mood, I might have shot back and said, 'I'm not a cop but I am licensed and I have been vetted by the GBI and FBI to carry a firearm.'

Not always easy to confront stupid without escalation. In reality, I would have shot skeet and later asked management what their stated policy is.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Nah, I was just kidding. Any sort of gun range, bike path, public park, public anything, where you have the right to carry openly should just be able to tell you to get lost if you don't abide by their rules, regardless of what state law says.

</sarcasm>

So if you can't openly carry at a certain gun range, you'd rather see it closed and not used for any shooting sports??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts