Toddler Found Wandering On Busy Road

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Sharky, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Toddler Found Wandering On Busy Road

POSTED: 4:23 pm EDT August 14, 2007
    UPDATED: 6:53 pm EDT August 14, 2007

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. -- A DeKalb County daycare center is under investigation after a driver found a 4-year-old boy wandering in the middle of Pleasantdale Road.

“When I saw him crying, I asked him his name and I gave him a hug,†said driver Frank Harrington.

Harrington said he couldn’t believe what he was seeing -- a 4-year-old boy wandering alone. Harrington got the boy into his car and pulled over to look around and said he noticed a Kids R Kids daycare center down the street.

“When we walked in with him the lady said, ‘Oh, you’re back again,’ and I was dumbfounded,†said Harrington.

Harrington and another driver were so worried about the reaction they called DeKalb County police. The report said the boy escaped through a loose gate near the playground.

When Channel 2 attempted to question the daycare, they told us they were working with the state and the incident was being investigated.

DeKalb police are investigating too.

“When you turn someone over your children you expect them to take as good of care of them as you would yourself if you were there, so it’s a high concern,†said J.T. Ware with the DeKalb County police.

Harrington said he was glad to help but he couldn’t believe how many drivers simply passed right by.

“As a parent, I would be very concerned if it was my kid. How would you like to be at work and get a phone call, ‘We’re sorry to tell you your kid was hit by a car,’ said Harrington.

Records show the daycare has been investigated in the past for lack of proper supervision.

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

gotta love those responsible people! And they had issues before.

3. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Can't be good for the Kids R Kids franchises in the area if this hits TV.

4. merlock

merlock New Member

This place need to have its license yanked, really quick. :x

Putting aside the asshats that wouldn't stop, what if our Good Samaritan had been a perv? :banghead:

5. packin_peaches

packin_peaches New Member

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?
    I have a phrase for these kinds of people...
    :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
    And if this place had been investigated before, why are they still able to operate?? :evil:
    And it really doesn't surprise me that people kept driving by...no one gives a sh!t these days

6. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

Thank God somebody csred enough to stop snd the child was not hurt. The daycare need to be shut down.

Chris

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Yeah, thank God Mr. Harrington is an upstanding citizen and not a predator.

This scenario sends chills up my spine and I don't even have children.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I wonder about parents who put their kids in places like this, anyway.

How is THAT for stirring it up? :D

9. blind_shake

blind_shake Active Member

Hey all my babies' mommas are all single moms doing what they have to to make ends meet without child support. I resent that... :lol:

10. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I'd say that you did quite well MP.

11. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

BIG +1

12. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

(bolding added)
    Oh I agree. Anyone putting their kids in a craptastic day care that lets kids wander away and has a documented bad record doesn't deserve their kids. Find a way to get them to a better place. You had em so now take responsibility for them. Oh, oppps. I went and used the "R" word. Can't be doing that. Not now a days....

Now if you are talking about child care facilities in general & why would someone relenquish their offspring to such a place... well I'd be happy to not do that if you will pay my wife (or me!) to stay at home with the child so we can continue to pay for the mortgage & the retirement and the insurance and the gas & electricity and school and clothes and food. :?

And I make a pretty good living (though not the CRAZY sums of cash you laywer types hual in) :lol: and my wife still has to work. We certainly aren't just scrapping by like some folks. I don't understand how some people make it now a days...

13. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I agree as well. It is very difficult for families this day in age. To afford anything large enough for a family of 4, shall we say, both parent have to work. My sister has 2 kids and a husband, although just another larger child himself, and they both have to work. Nothing fancy as in a house or vehicles, just the cost of living. Good thing for parents and them stepping up to watch the kids all day and then had back to my sister! I think if not for my parents my sister may not have had kids because of the day cares out there. They would probably have to hire a nanny!

14. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

True. But I doubt this is part of the company's advertising. How would a parent know until after it happens at that particular place?

I'll keep the pot stirrin' a little ;)

Why is it that a majority of folks are willing to relinquish a significant portion of the responsibility of child-rearing over to daycares or government institutions while others work hard to ensure that a parent or both parents are able to stay at home with the kids? Some work multiple jobs, make career changes, start their own business, make lifestyle changes, etc., just to be able to ensure parental child-rearing.

15. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

True. But I don't really see raising a child that only sees one parent a right either. I know that if my wife were to quit work to be a stay at home mom (we won't even pretend that I could do that, we couldn't feed ourselves on her teacher's salary, much less 3 of us) I would have to keep my current 7 - 4 job and get another 40hr a week job to make ends meet and live in the fashion to which we are accustomed and the manner that I want to bring my child up in. My child would never see his father.

Now if you could expect a 1/2 way good education from public schools (or if I didn't have to pay taxes to fund those public centers for indoctrination) so I didn't have to pay for a private school so my child could get a quality education it might be possible. If I wasn't having to put up money for an extremely expensive college education for my child it might be possible. If I didn't want the finer things in life for my child it mght be possible.

In short a little investigative work with the BBB, and serious review of local child day care establishments along with some asking around at your church and with friends with kids and it should be feasible to find a place that you can trust to take care of your kids.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Handing my kids off to a daycare facility just does not fit anywhere into my frame of reference.

It is difficult for me to even imagine.

By the way, for those who choose this path, the franchise is actually pretty good, if you are into that sort of thing.

17. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

It was a tough thing to do, but I had my youngest in daycare when I was a single parent. Now that I have remarried my wife and I talked about her working or staying at home. We made the sacrifice and she opted to stay home and raise my boys. I have a pretty good paycheck but it's still not enough to have the big house on the hill or a new car every couple of years. I'm not complaining, I've made my choice and my children will be better adults for it.

Chris

18. blind_shake

blind_shake Active Member

Seriously, its refreshing to hear. You sacrifice will go a long way.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Chris, that is exactly what I am talking about. Kids over stuff. Bravo to you, man!

20. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

Forest E. Witcraft