Today was the first day

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Rammstein, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Today was the first day of live fire range time for my ROTC class. Today we shot .22 pistols. Ruger Mk2.

A few things:
    1. Eye/Ear protection was limited to about 10 or so people.
    Good thing I brought my own.

2. I became concerned when our instructor, a MSG, started loading cartridges into the magazine...backwards.

3. He had no control of the range. Well, that is too harsh. He had control of the two people in front of him at any one time. This one kid kept moving the barrel away from down range and almost swept the person next to him a few times.

4. People would get a misfire and the MSG would tell them to eject the round and put it back in and try again. I watched him try this about four times before he gave up.

5. He gave people no direction on how to hold the weapon other than 'don't get your hand pinched when the slide comes back'. It was hard to watch people hold the barrel like they were trying to hold a rifle.

One positive is that there is a a guy in the class with a GFL, and also a cop that commutes to school, so we had at least a few people who knew a thing or two about firearms.

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

A guy...other than you...or are you him?

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

4. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Well that's not too bad then...at least three that have actually fired a gun before.

Just duck every now and then and maybe the instructor will get the hint.

5. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

What branch of ROTC are you in?

6. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

You need to get a real trainer. Your guy will get someone killed ... and it won't be the enemy. I wish you weren't so far away from Atlanta, I offer to teach you guys correctly.

First lesson ..... pointy end forward ... that applies to the gun and bullets.

Second lesson ..... Treat the pointy thingie as being always loaded.

Third lesson .... the two loudest sounds are a click when you expect a bang and a bang when you expect a click.

Fourth lesson ... don't point the pointy end at something you aren't willing to kill

fifth lesson .... don't point pointy end at range officer or each other, if you do that we will shoot you and we don't miss, especially at 3 feet.

six lesson .... Cops are not the safest gun handlers .... the best are IPSC/USPSA competitive shooters.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Army

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I wish you could teach it too. I tried teaching one kid how to shoot. He was right handed and his left thumb went over the top of his right hand. It looked like he was about to get the web of his hand bitten by the slide.

The instructor said today that he was not going to teach us how to shoot the pistols, just that he wanted us to get familiar being around a loaded weapon.

However, he did say I was the best shot in the class. :)

Today, we had 4 people inside the range and everyone else stood outside. I think that was a wise move.

Think I could talk the Master Sergeant into letting the permit holders into letting us get some range time in with our pistols? :D Don't ask, don't get.

9. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Loaded the cartridges in backwards, almost sweep the person in front of them......God help you! :shock:

10. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

:shock:
    So he's not going to teach how to handle a gun, how to respect said deadly weapon, how to not accidentally kill someone else on the range but he wants you to fire a gun so you can be comfortable around them...

This guy is an idiot.
    Were I you I'm afraid I'd have to decline to be on the range with him & his "class" ever again. I personally feel like God gave me the right number of holes in my body to start with & I don't really see a profound need to let some jackass or his students give me any more.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

And I would make that known in front of the entire "class." I would have done it during the class. This is dangerous. Get control of your class right now. Then I would have left if he did not do so right away. I would not want to be any part of someone getting shot on an unsafe range (even if it is not me), and maybe you pointing this out in a loud and embarassing manner would wake this joker up.

This is rather surprising for a military rangemaster. Not the sort of conduct I remember at all.

12. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Military? I thought he said it was the Army?... :lol: :twisted:

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

To be objective, he did read us ten gun safety rules. That was spread out over two classes. The catch is that those two classes were a combined total of 20 minutes long. And subtract the four or so minutes it took to take role each class.

There are about 5 or so of us that know how to handle firearms and we go shoot at the same time. After that we stay outside of the range and wait to be dismissed.

As for speaking to the instructor...telling him off in front of everyone else goes against what I was taught. I was thinking of going to him and offering to assist him in keeping control of the range so we don't have any "accidents". But at the same time, do I want to be responsible if anything were to happen? No. I do think that it would be best if we both watched the range.

While the MSG is prior service (or he could still be AD, I am not sure), he doesn't strike me as a trigger puller.

14. DrGlock

DrGlock New Member

Hey Ram, as you know Im from Metter, and there is no gun range here anymore.
    I don't suppose GSU has a public range do they?
    Where do you go to, as my friend say's "get some powder off your chest"?

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Nope. We have a range, but it is strictly for ROTC use. :(

For now I do all my shooting when I am back home, because the "range" we used is not available during hunting season. And by range I mean 20 minutes drive into the boonies on logging land. They only mind during the hunting season because they lease the land to a hunting club or something and close the road in.

I was told that there is a range in Claxton. I have not independently verified this though.