Today at the courthouse

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Kid Icarus, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus New Member

I got to speak with the sherriff. While talking about concealed carry
    around the county, 2 things stand out that he said:

"It doesn't matter, once there are 10 or more people around, you can't legally carry then, because it is then considered a public gathering"

When I pressed him about that, he said that was a Fed law, so nothing he could do about it.

Second thing was about WMA's (Wildlife Management Area), and that you can always carry legally there. I have'nt found were I saw it yet, but I thought WMA's were off limits.

:cry:

Anyway's, any thoughts on that?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Here might be where you saw it! It is O.C.G.A. 27-3-1.1

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Public Gathering is a word found in GA law, not Federal. Federal laws have absolutly nothing to do with it. Federal off-limits places are, federal buildings (post office), schools, and national parks. That is for people with or without a permit issued by the state. He is confused.

So if by "carry" he meant off-season, unloaded, and left in your car then I guess so.

So you can carry on your person during deer season when modern rifles are allowed.

Any other time it is pretty much a no-no. [-(

4. Malum Prohibitum

:shock:

Oh, well . . .

I might suggest sending him the public gathering opinion by the Attorney with a politely worded, friendly note thanking him for the information he gave during your conversation and giving him the results of your research that his comments motivated . . .

Ever been to a shopping mall with less than 10 people in it?

How about a McDonalds?

5. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus New Member

I should be going back by the courthouse (his main office is in there)
    on Friday. If he is there I will see if he will talk to me, if he is not, the
    clerks have a policy to leave anything for him on his desk. I will have a nice package to leave for him.

I know a LOT of folks he knows, and he knows a LOT of folks I know
    personally. And this IS a small town/county....

6. Malum Prohibitum

I would suggest writing him a note enclosing the authority rather than talking to him. This will give him time to come to the truth on his own, rather than merely trading your opinion for his own, which most people are justifiably reluctant to do.