To all AK47 owners

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by triggerman357, May 1, 2007.

1. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

I'm very interested in purchasing a Romanian/Century Arms 7.62x39 AK47. I would like to know the pros and cons of this model. Also, how does it rank with an AR15 or .223 models. I found one at Tucker Gun for $388 nib, and I think thats pretty good price. I plan on checking out the show this Saturday for a better deal and hopefully trade my G23. I want to use it primarily for home defense and fun at the range.

2. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

An AK is an AK is an AK.

Pretty much.

You can find new Romanian AK's from SOG for 329. No sales tax. Just shipping and the transfer fee. Might be cheaper. Take a look

http://www.southernohiogun.com/aks.htm

You may not be able to see the prices. I have a C&R so they show up for me.

#AK-RWUM - 329
    #AK-RWUMPG - 289
    #AK-M70 - 429

I have a Vector underfolder. It's pretty solid. Nice groups. I got it for 475 used FTF sale. They are one of the more desirable post-ban ones... an Arsenal is a step up.

http://www.vectorarms.com/indexframe.html

Pros: It's an AK. May look a bit ratty but it will work. They aren't the most popular firearm in the world because they suck. Cheaper than an AR. 7.62 is still pretty cheap while .223 has shot through the roof. The best thing about an AK is that you'll really be "sticking it to the man" by buying one of the most "evil" weapons. I think my AK is more fun than my AR. Louder, more kick... just fun.

Cons: Century AK's are pretty cheap. They will likely be electropenciled in the most tacky way possible. If you buy one sight unseen, you might get a canted front sight. If you buy one from a store, check. It's a common problem. I'm pretty sure Century uses a crappy trigger group... the better ones use a Tapco group which will help alleviate trigger slap that some people complain about. Personally, I can tell a Century by shaking it... AK's are really loose, but Century's sound like a big rattle. Accuracy is pretty crappy... but you likely won't notice it at ranges you normally shoot at. You won't go varminting with an AK.

www.ak47.net

More answers than you could possibly have questions for.

Here is my AK ready for Zombie threat level II.

[​IMG]

3. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

thanks foshizzle
    I think I'll go with the century arms for now and make it sorta starter ak. Ill dress it up later. Hopefully, as my knowledge rifles grow, I'll be able to hang the big dogs like you.

4. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I just bought one from Jgsales.com. The quality was good. Not too much cosmocrap..oups cosmoline, the stock was wood color and not crappy orange, not too many scratches and the trigger group was ok. After cleaning it, it was ready to rock. I bought 2 more 30-mags (it came with one only) and they were full of cosmoline and there was some rust outside, but nothing serious.

The bayonet blade (more a knife) had cosmoline stians but 2-3 rounds in the washing dishes machine solved the issue. It fits perfectly on the gun.

One friend bought one a while ago and he had to have a gunsmith to reallign the sights, change the stocks and redo the finish.

aim surplus is selling one too (http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/NEW_ ... Break.html) but it is outof stock for now.

BE AWARE THOSE WEAPONS ARE USED AND OFTEN THE MARKSMANSHIP DONE TO REPLACE THE TRIGGER GROUP MAY BE POOR. If you are lucky like me, you will have no money to put on it. If not, you may end up putting more than you paid like my friend had to do.

Thank you

5. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

defense and fun range sessions are what 7.62 AK's are all about. Ammo is pretty cheap ($150 per 1000), mags are everywhere (dozen for $70-80 at SG), parts are everywhere (AKforum, arfcom, etc).

Even if the furniture isnt exactly what you want it to be when you get it, there are thousands of options out there to make it just how you want it. sidefolder, underfolders, wood, plastic, tacticool ones, classic looks, romanian foregrips, krinks, tantals, pistols, etc...........

Not all AKs are created equal. Mostly only very good quality ones will shoot anywhere even remotely close to MOA. But thats not why I like them, or why I'm shooting one. I can sling lead downrange fast and decently accurate, and the AK is the easiest autoloader gun to strip and clean, ever.

The Century guns can have crappy mag wells, creating wobble in the mag that is just annoying and can create feeding issues. As stated earlier the front sight can be canted and be awful shooting. SAME THING for the gas block/rear sight. Also they may have trigger slap, but thats pretty easy to fix.

if you buy a Century Arms WASR or M70 or whatever, look at it this way and check out the sights... walk away if its like this!
    [​IMG]

AR's are great in their own way, if you did want to just share one caliber with your AR::: get a SAR-3, Saiga 223, or other AK variant in 223 ! That caliber is here to stay, obviously. So is 7.62x39, but i think the 5.45x39 might not stick around too much longer in mass production.

6. kestak

kestak New Member

I think everyone should have at least one AK in their home with 1000 rounds ammo. One day, the zombies will try to take over the world and we must be ready to save that gorgeous young woman wearing almost nothing...

7. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I have a Romanian AK, a Century gun.

It works, I like shooting it, not the most accurate gun on the planet but it'll do minute of goblin at 100 yards.

Part of me wants an underfolder, but other than that, I don't feel the need to spend a lot more than the 300-400 Romanian's list for.

Spend the big bucks, on the AR's, they are capable of sub-MOA accuracy.