TM Bore Cleaning Solvent

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I like posting good reviews of products that I have used. This is NOT a good review.

I have always used Hoppes #9 and been happy with its performance. About 2 months ago I switched to TM Bore Cleaning Solvent, because my wife didn't like the smell of the Hoppes#9 and I was out of solvent anyway. When cleaning my Glock 17 Thursday night, I noticed what I thought were abnormal wear marks inside the barrel that had never seen before. The barrel has about 6000 rounds through it, all good quality factory ammo (no oddball hand loads or deep discount, open lead stuff). When I showed it the the guys at Bullseye yesterday, Jason said it looked like lead fouling. We filled it with bore foam and let it soak for 20 minutes, then used a brush to no avail. Jason use a pick, and was able to chip out copper flakes. What I though was wear, was bad copper fouling in the grooves. After shooting, I let it soak for an hour (twice) with TetraGun copper solvent in it, then was able t clean it out with a brass brush.

It got me thinking, so I stripped my PPK/S, which was also cleaned Thursday night, and looked clean. I ran a patch of Hoppes#9 through it and it came out black.

I'll never use the TM Bore Cleaning Again. It's back to Hoppes#9 only for me. My wife will have to deal with the smell.

Sorry for the long post. I hope to post a better review of my new holster from Southern Holsters when it gets here in a day or two.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I used to use Hoppes, but all I use now is BreakFree CLP.

3. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I like to use hoppes for the heavy stuff. Used CLP for military never thought of using for personal, will give it a try. But I will still clean with hoppes and lube with CLP, never did think it worked very good for first cleaning but great lube.