Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

461 - 480 of 601 Posts

·
68,484 Posts
He's facing 20 years. Might as well be a death sentence at his age.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
It is a sad commentary on lawyer income when a lawyer needs a public defender due to a lack of funds to hire an attorney.
Either a comment on income or money management skills. The couple of lawyers I know personally are quiet well off. I met a lawyer a few years back through motorcycles who said he made so much as a personal injury lawyer that he only does civil rights cases now pro bono. He might have changed his mind about that after the air ambulance ride he took from Deal's Gap to UTK that weekend. He said the last helicopter ride was years before skiing in Switzerland that cost $7k. We assured him they wouldn't even fire the jet engine up for. $7k.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
What about this part of your statement? Everything I have read says the opposite, but I have not been keeping up with any research in the last few weeks.
Everything I have seen has indicated the vaccinations are just as effective on the variants as they are on the primary Chinese virus strain.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Either a comment on income or money management skills. The couple of lawyers I know personally are quiet well off. I met a lawyer a few years back through motorcycles who said he made so much as a personal injury lawyer that he only does civil rights cases now pro bono. He might have changed his mind about that after the air ambulance ride he took from Deal's Gap to UTK that weekend. He said the last helicopter ride was years before skiing in Switzerland that cost $7k. We assured him they wouldn't even fire the jet engine up for. $7k.
He looks to be old enough to have been practicing when the market wasn't as flooded also. It makes me wonder what kind of people went up there. Being at a low point in life seems to be common from the few people I've been reading about. The air force vet took out a super stupid high interest loan. Horned buffalo guy didn't have a real job, and this lawyer doesn't seemed like he set the world on fire either.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I'm sure everyone has heard this by now, but just in case....

Q - What did horned buffalo guy's mom say to him as he was led away in handcuffs?

A- "Bison"

·
68,484 Posts
I know lawyers making seven figures a year (really), six figures a year, and, unfortunately, all the way down to lower five figures a year. It really does vary greatly.

Of course, like a lot of averages, this one is inflated by the top end of the market. The median annual wage for lawyers, $120,910, is substantially lower than their mean annual wage. At the 75th percentile for salary, lawyers are making $182,490 annually - meaning that anyone starting out on the Cravath scale is earning, in the first year, more than three out of every four of their colleagues nationwide. But at the 25th percentile, lawyers are only making $79,160 a year. Those at the 10thpercentile are pulling in an annual salary of just $58,220.

That's a bit of a problem for those at the lower end of the spectrum. U.S. News puts the average debt load of a J.D. student who graduated from a private school in 2018 at $123,511 (we know the real average is probably a bit higher, considering that the U.S. News debt data leaves out some schools where student debt loads are likely to be higher than average). Students who got a J.D. from a public school reportedly carried a slightly more manageable average debt of $86,747 at graduation, according to U.S. News. The interest rates on federal student loans range from just over 4.5 percent to a smidge above 7 percent. The lowest interest rate is for undergraduate loans; the best interest rate you can hope to get right now for graduate or professional federal student loans is a hair over 6 percent. Even at 6 percent, a new lawyer with the average debt load from a private law school is accumulating $7,410.66 per year in extra debt from interest alone. A lawyer at the 25th percentile for salary, after paying taxes, would have to set aside more than 10 percent of his or her income just to tread water and make the interest payments.

Now, you might say that the relatively measly salaries are only for recent graduates, and that as an attorney builds a practice and progresses in his or her career, the salary will increase accordingly. That is surely true, to an extent, and BLS does not break down its salary data by age or years of practice to give us a more complete picture of the work experience factor. However, BLS does have a separate occupational category for "Judges, Magistrate Judges, and Magistrates," and folks in the judicial branch seem to be making, on average, even less than the attorneys appearing before them (which I don't think is a surprise to any litigators).
https://abovethelaw.com/2019/09/ave...s-and-judges-average-earnings-are-even-lower/

Taking an underestimated average $123,000 debt load to maybe one day make a median salary of $120,000 (not starting salary, but a median for all attorneys, including those with decades of experience) seems like a not very good bet, and for those on the lower end of the scale, the burden must be crushing.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
It would discourage me from chosing that career path.

It seems like in the past we didn't see college grads with that level of college loan debt to income potential even accounting for inflation. I know several people my age and older who would have attended and completed college in the 70s and I can't think of a single one that started their career with what would amount to a mortgage.

·
Registered
557 Posts
What about this part of your statement? Everything I have read says the opposite, but I have not been keeping up with any research in the last few weeks.
I'm thinking of a South African variant, but there may be others. The issue is structural variation in the spike protein the human immune system uses as a response trigger.

Here's an overview from Nature: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00121-z

DH

·
Registered
557 Posts
It is a sad commentary on lawyer income when a lawyer needs a public defender due to a lack of funds to hire an attorney.
If I had to guess, I'd say it's a delay tactic.

Ask for public defender, and go through that process. If/when denied (financial grounds), file continuance to "have time to find counsel". If accepted, burn some time and then fire public defender, continuance, "I need to find counsel". That kind of thing.

If you're fishing for a technicality dismissal or mistrial, stalling and delaying is a good place to start.

DH

·
68,484 Posts
I'm thinking of a South African variant, but there may be others. The issue is structural variation in the spike protein the human immune system uses as a response trigger.

Here's an overview from Nature: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00121-z

DH
That seems like pretty weak "evidence" at this stage. I guess we'll see as they continue to look at it.

Has anybody been infected twice?

·
Registered
557 Posts
That seems like pretty weak "evidence" at this stage. I guess we'll see as they continue to look at it.

Has anybody been infected twice?
A good friend of mine has recently weathered her second infection.

(I'd have to go back to look at FB posts, but I #1 was pretty early, perhaps April, and the most recent was maybe late December.)

Her husband became infected around the second instance, so I'm not sure if he transmitted it to her or the reverse.

DH

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say it's a delay tactic.

Ask for public defender, and go through that process. If/when denied (financial grounds), file continuance to "have time to find counsel". If accepted, burn some time and then fire public defender, continuance, "I need to find counsel". That kind of thing.

If you're fishing for a technicaldismissal, mistrial,

A good friend of mine has recently weathered her second infection.

(I'd have to go back to look at FB posts, but I #1 was pretty early, perhaps April, and the most recent was maybe late December.)

Her husband became infected around the second instance, so I'm not sure if he transmitted it to her or the reverse.

DH
So in other words...it's a cold...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Well let's see, the vast majority get a fever, cough, maybe a runny nose for 2-3 days, then they're done. That's a cold. Let's not forget that the vast majority of the people listed as a corona death are simply people who died WITH it, not necessarily FROM it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Let's not forget that the vast majority of the people listed as a corona death are simply people who died WITH it, not necessarily FROM it.
Can you link the study or studies confirming this?

I'm not going to "not forget" something which is at best conjecture and at worst a conspiracy theory.

DH

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Well let's see, the vast majority get a fever, cough, maybe a runny nose for 2-3 days, then they're done. That's a cold. Let's not forget that the vast majority of the people listed as a corona death are simply people who died WITH it, not necessarily FROM it.
Citation please...

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
Nearly 500 posts latter and the newly "selected" president comes out with this?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-coronavirus-trajectory-nothing-we-can-do-reaction
President Biden has drawn backlash for providing a pessimistic view of his administration's ability to combat the coronavirus pandemic in the near future.
Biden's campaign featured harsh criticisms of former President Trump's approach to COVID-19, and in his first speech as president-elect he said his administration's work "begins with getting COVID under control." On Friday, however, he indicated that the trajectory of the pandemic can't be changed in the coming months, no matter what Americans do.
No matter what we do? That must obviously include those highly suspect miracle vaccines. So what did we go through nearly a year of economic and social devastation for, Joe? No need for an answer. Anyone with at least one firing neuron already knows the answer.

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
And then there's this.

https://nationalfile.com/as-biden-b...at-claimed-hydroxychloroquine-is-ineffective/
A leading medical journal has issued a retraction of their endorsement for a study that concluded the anti-viral drug hydroxychloroquine was ineffective against the COVID-19 virus. This retraction appears to validate the claims then-President Trump made about the medication being a frontline drug in the battle in the pandemic.
The Lancet's endorsement of the study was withdrawn because the Surgisphere Corporation, the company that provided data, refused to provide full access to the information it based its study on. Peer review medical journals typically engage in third-party peer review to validate the findings.
One could only guess why they wouldn't share their data source. Maybe because it didn't actually support the published findings?

How many people died needlessly because of this?

Like lambs to the slaughter.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,010 Posts
461 - 480 of 601 Posts