Time to find a new carry...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by garndawg, Aug 11, 2008.

1. garndawg

garndawg New Member

Howdy Gents,

Been prowling around here ever since I got my GFL and am moving toward a new weapon.

Had a S&W 910 and a 59, but neither is easy to find holsters for and both are farily heavy/large for cc, so it's time for something I'll actually carry everyday.

As with most of you, my choice is between the glock and the 1911. I figure to head for the range, rent/borrow an example of both, and run 100 or so rounds of each to see which likes my hand better.

Hopefully, it'll be easy to decide. Then I can start wondering about specific model of each...

Anyhow, it's been a while since I've been to Wild West (back when it was HotShots) and wondering if anybody is on a regular schedule there, so I can say "hi". Might be there tomorrow (Tuesday) at lunchtime to start my search...

2. madcapmagician

madcapmagician New Member

Glock 19 and don't look back.

3. NGIB

NGIB Grumpy Old Man

I'm at WWT nearly every Saturday morning when they open for some trigger time. As far as 1911 vs Glock - as I have 5 1911's and zero Glocks, you'd know how I vote.

If you'd like to try out any of my 1911's - I have full-size, commander, and officers - shoot me a PM. Here's my smallest an RIA Compact:

[​IMG]

4. Pack N Man

Pack N Man New Member

Don't fall for the plastic gun hype. 1911s come in many flavors and they all have one thing in common, they were made for the human hand. The natural point of aim you achieve with a 1911 cannot and has not been duplicated by Glock, the only thing that comes close is an XD type from Springfield Armory. Just my opinion...

5. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

I was going to suggest you try the XD. I am also a 1911 fan, but I LOVE my XD45C. That or my Springfield V10 are my constant companions.

6. Embryjj

Embryjj New Member

1911's are great guns, but for everyday carry you can't beat a glock. They are more reliable and hold more rounds. And that's what counts in a weapon that you may use to defend your life and it's much cheaper. Now that being said, I just picked up a Kimber Custom TLE II that I love and will carry part of the time. It is a great compliment to my glock 19. But if your just getting one than get a glock 19 or 23 (same size as the 19 just in .40). In my opinion they are the best CC weapons available. Don't let the beauty of the 1911 lead you astray. That "ugly hunk of plastic" is one of the best guns made. Don't get me wrong, eventually you will get a 1911; no one can resist its call forever (I just found that out), but if you are looking for a great/the best CC gun than get a Glock.

7. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

How about the compact S&W 6906? It's the last of the 3rd Gen. stainless steel slide and alloy frame in satin stainless finish; DA/SA; 12+1 mags available, about 26.5 oz I believe. Accessories, holsters, and such are plentiful.

Highly sought after, but CDNN has then still, in low numbers now. About $300-$350 I believe. You can thus stay in the S&W family.

8. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

I have been looking for the same. Eventually, I came down to what felt best in my hand. When I save up the money I will be getting a xd9 sub compact.

9. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

What he said. :righton:

10. coney_hatch

coney_hatch Guest

:rotfl:

11. garndawg

garndawg New Member

Gents,

Believe me, I've heard all the justifications either way on the Glock and 1911. Been reading the folks on m1911 and glocktalk, heard all the arguments, and it's come down to just having to shoot them both. I feel like I've been preparing for a debate, as I could argue both sides quite well. Simple vs complex, S/A Con 1 versus "Safe Action", etc.

But I've never shot them. (Well, I've shot the 1911, but it was a long time ago and I just took a couple of rounds to be friendly...)

I've eliminated the S&W's, all models. And the Kahrs. And the CZ's. And the <insert>. I've heard a lot of positives about the XD's, but again, they're not market-dominate. I've owned a wonderful pistol already. I love to shoot my 910. That thing would eat ANYTHING. More accurate than I am. But I never carry it. And I'm tired of having to search through 10,000 glock/1911 items for mags/holsters/grips/etc ad naseum for it. In every gun shop I visit, online stores, forum classifieds, etc, the Glock/1911 OWN the firearms market. Everything out there is made for them first and foremost. Ever notice there isn't a S&W autos forum? Or an XD one? (Well, there might be, but I've never heard it referenced here or several other forums I frequent.)

NGIB, I really appreciate the offer. And I might take you up on it. Especially if I decide to head the 1911 route. By any chance, do you have a lightweight commander in your collection?

Anyhow, if you're in Wild West tomorrow about 11:30am or so and see a rather confused, slightly balding fellow with a 1911 in one hand and a ugly plastic thing in the other, say hi...

12. NGIB

NGIB Grumpy Old Man

All of my 1911's are steel. I'd love to be shooting at Noon tomorrow but I don't think my boss would be happy about it.

I'm surprised you didn't include Sig as they are some of the most popular pistols out there. A P239 is a fine carry piece and they're very easy to find stuff for, and yes I have one of these as well...

13. garndawg

garndawg New Member

Yeah, fortunately, I work pretty close. I don't figure to make a decision tomorrow, but just to get started on one pistol for about an hour.

As for the Sig, read what's available about those too. But if I threw in another model, I feel as though I'd never make a choice. Hard enough between the two I'm thinking of...

14. coney_hatch

coney_hatch Guest

But with unlimited financial resources like the rest of us, why not get 3-4 different guns??

:)

15. TheLaw

TheLaw Old Time Member

Just in case you ever want to check it out, http://www.xdtalk.com. I would state that you "currently" hear more about Glocks because they have been around longer. I carried a Glock 23 when I was a LEO, and I liked it. I sold it when I went into another line of work (like a dummy) and last year decided I wanted to buy another "plastic Pistol". I spent a few months researching the differences between the Glock and the XD, and after firing one, decided on the XD.

I'm not trying to sway you, I just wanted you to have the info to make the best decision for yourself.

If you were taking my advice, it would be for a 1911! :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

OK, I'll also recommend the Sig 239. That is actually what I currently carry more than anything else. I shoot it second best, just behind my 1911.

17. coney_hatch

coney_hatch Guest

Can't decide what to buy, just "use the force, luke!"

18. ugaman18

ugaman18 New Member

Save you some money.

Hey man if you need a holster for that model 59 any Uncle Mike's size 15 holsters will fit them like a glove. I have a 59 and I use a Uncle Mike's size 15 shoulder holster,hip holster, and IWB holster all with great ease. Just a tip to try and save you some money. But really, if you want a new gun more power to you, when you get the fever you just have to have one.

19. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Ahem: http://www.xdtalk.com/ & http://smith-wessonforum.com/

:twisted:

If you like the 1911 (I do, it's one of my favorites), try the XD.

It has the lighter weight and higher capacity of the Glocks, and the grip angle and feel of the 1911.

If you still don't like it . . . cool, go with what fits you the best!