Time Lapse

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by smn, Dec 11, 2010.

1. smn

smn Active Member

Has anyone done time lapse photography? I made an intervalometer by programming an arduino and adding an 8-pin DIP switch and a VISHAY ILD32 optocoupler.
    [​IMG]
    Time intervals are additive by setting the DIP switches on in intervals of 5, 15, 30, 60, 120, 240, 480, 960, and 1920 seconds. If all switches are off the default is 5 seconds. The program also takes care of a wake up and focus time before each shot. The cable shown is a 1/8in audio cable. I found an adapter online to the 2.5mm for under $2.

Although not too exciting at 45 sec intervals the movie is here.

All images were shot with a Canon T1i in the smaller frame format and assembled using Picasa into the mpg file.

2. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

Sounds fancy! Does that thing make you a cup of coffee in the morning, too? :mrgreen:

Doesn't your camera have a time lapse setting?

3. smn

smn Active Member

I'm sure I could use the arduino to make coffee... I'd rather it pill the cat.

I couldn't find a time lapse interval mentioned anywhere in the camera manual. I could buy one for $40 off Amazon which will do the same thing, but didn't or haven't yet.

4. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I bought a nifty timer for the 5DM2 straight from China (yeah, I know... it was WAY cheaper than Canon's). It works great. I'm not sure about the T1i, but our old XTi will do time lapse with the PC software from Canon (EOS Utility's remote shooting feature).

If you decide to build a timer and stepper motor driver, let me know. You can do some amazing things with a rig like the one below.

http://vimeo.com/4038064

Here's one of their earlier rigs:

[​IMG]

5. Campeck1911

Campeck1911 New Member

wow. very nice AV8R.
    this is my first one with a hacked (CHDK) Canon G9 to include an intervalometer in the camera settings.

http://www.youtube.com/user/campeck944? ... gDDHjXGtPQ

And if you look at my other videos you can see some of my Basic Stamp 2 projects.
    I also dabble with the Propeller, SX, PIC, and Arduino!