Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please see the email from my child's Principal, and my response to her. It's high time for K-12 carry here in Georgia. I don't care if we have to take a special class to get a stamp on our GWL - I want it to happen now!

Every single time you ever get an email like this, send a response and post it in this thread. And forward it to our Georgia General Assembly members.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Williams,

Had the perpetrator possessed an actual weapon several children could have been killed on the bus, along with the driver.

Do you see how easy it is for a criminal to get access to children in "gun-free" zones?

State law in Georgia allows teachers, and any other adult with written permission from school officials to be armed with a firearm for just such scenarios.

I demand that you give bus drivers and teachers that option, in order for them to not be sitting ducks waiting to be slaughtered.

That bus was full of sitting ducks, and the ONLY reason they didn't get hurt was because the perpetrator chose not to be armed with and use a genuine weapon.

Police can't be everywhere at once, so the real first responders need to be the potential victims. They have to have the ability to save their lives and those around them.

In this world with far too many common criminals and terrorists bent on doing evil, it is foolish to think that keeping citizens unarmed will somehow keep them safer. If sheep had fangs and claws, do you think as many of them would be taken by wolves? It's common sense.

It's beyond me how some supposedly "educated" people cannot see the truth of that.

All the notification emails, plans, meetings, paperwork, etc., will not keep students safe. When a gun is brought to bear against them, a gun must be immediately at the ready to defend them.

Best regards,

Phillip Evans

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 11:58 AM Dr. Tereka Williams<[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Shiloh Middle School Parents and Guardians,

I want to notify you of a situation that occurred yesterday afternoon involving one of our school bus routes. While the bus was stopped during the route a young man who was not a Shiloh Middle student boarded the bus. It was reported that the person showed a weapon upon boarding the bus. This person got off the bus without further incident and did not harm anyone. Our bus driver notified police and they responded immediately. The police spoke with our driver and students and were able to identify the individual. It appears that the person did not have a handgun but did have an airsoft/bb gun in his possession and he has been charged criminally for his actions.

Yesterday afternoon our administrative team called the parents of students who ride that bus in order to make them aware of the situation and to alert them that their students may be delayed in getting home. That said, I did want to follow up today with those parents but also provide information to our greater school community as I know that others may have heard of this incident and be concerned. As this is an active police case there is little additional information that I can share, however, I did want to reassure you that this involved an airsoft/bb gun and that the person is in custody. I also would like to thank our bus driver and our students for their response and the information they provided to police as it helped them to identify and find this person quickly.

As always, I thank you for your support of our students, our school, and our Shiloh community.

Sincerely,

Dr. Tereka Williams
Principal

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have forwarded the above email chain along with this to some of our key lawmakers:

Dear Key Lawmakers and Second Amendment Friends,

I just got the email below from my child's school Principal showing how easy it is for our children to be at grave risk.

While I am no fan of government mandated training, I will be willing to take an 8 or even 16 hour class so that I can get a stamp on my GWCL to show that I can carry concealed any time I am in a school zone or at a school function, for the safety of myself, my child, and others around me. Some teachers and bus drivers would also take advantage of that, keeping our children much safer.

Mississippi has done this, and we can, too.

GWCL holders are your best friends and most faithful voters, and are the most law-abiding (even more so than police as multi-year statistics in Texas and Florida has shown) citizens.

We just want the ability to not be SITTING DUCKS.

Please move this forward, as I am confident Gov. Kemp would sign it.

Thank you and God bless you,

Phillip Evans

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please see the email from my child's Principal, and my response to her. It's high time for K-12 carry here in Georgia. I don't care if we have to take a special class to get a stamp on our GWL - I want it to happen now!

Every single time you ever get an email like this, send a response and post it in this thread. And forward it to our Georgia General Assembly members.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Williams,

Had the perpetrator possessed an actual weapon several children could have been killed on the bus, along with the driver.

Do you see how easy it is for a criminal to get access to children in "gun-free" zones?

State law in Georgia allows teachers, and any other adult with written permission from school officials to be armed with a firearm for just such scenarios.

I demand that you give bus drivers and teachers that option, in order for them to not be sitting ducks waiting to be slaughtered.

That bus was full of sitting ducks, and the ONLY reason they didn't get hurt was because the perpetrator chose not to be armed with and use a genuine weapon.

Police can't be everywhere at once, so the real first responders need to be the potential victims. They have to have the ability to save their lives and those around them.

In this world with far too many common criminals and terrorists bent on doing evil, it is foolish to think that keeping citizens unarmed will somehow keep them safer. If sheep had fangs and claws, do you think as many of them would be taken by wolves? It's common sense.

It's beyond me how some supposedly "educated" people cannot see the truth of that.

All the notification emails, plans, meetings, paperwork, etc., will not keep students safe. When a gun is brought to bear against them, a gun must be immediately at the ready to defend them.

Best regards,

Phillip Evans

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 11:58 AM Dr. Tereka Williams<[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Shiloh Middle School Parents and Guardians,

I want to notify you of a situation that occurred yesterday afternoon involving one of our school bus routes. While the bus was stopped during the route a young man who was not a Shiloh Middle student boarded the bus. It was reported that the person showed a weapon upon boarding the bus. This person got off the bus without further incident and did not harm anyone. Our bus driver notified police and they responded immediately. The police spoke with our driver and students and were able to identify the individual. It appears that the person did not have a handgun but did have an airsoft/bb gun in his possession and he has been charged criminally for his actions.

Yesterday afternoon our administrative team called the parents of students who ride that bus in order to make them aware of the situation and to alert them that their students may be delayed in getting home. That said, I did want to follow up today with those parents but also provide information to our greater school community as I know that others may have heard of this incident and be concerned. As this is an active police case there is little additional information that I can share, however, I did want to reassure you that this involved an airsoft/bb gun and that the person is in custody. I also would like to thank our bus driver and our students for their response and the information they provided to police as it helped them to identify and find this person quickly.

As always, I thank you for your support of our students, our school, and our Shiloh community.

Sincerely,

Dr. Tereka Williams
Principal
I have forwarded the above email chain along with this to some of our key lawmakers:

Dear Key Lawmakers and Second Amendment Friends,

I just got the email below from my child's school Principal showing how easy it is for our children to be at grave risk.

While I am no fan of government mandated training, I will be willing to take an 8 or even 16 hour class so that I can get a stamp on my GWCL to show that I can carry concealed any time I am in a school zone or at a school function, for the safety of myself, my child, and others around me. Some teachers and bus drivers would also take advantage of that, keeping our children much safer.

Mississippi has done this, and we can, too.

GWCL holders are your best friends and most faithful voters, and are the most law-abiding (even more so than police as multi-year statistics in Texas and Florida has shown) citizens.

We just want the ability to not be SITTING DUCKS.

Please move this forward, as I am confident Gov. Kemp would sign it.

Thank you and God bless you,

Phillip Evans
Please

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please, please consider Mr. Evans' proposal. I am a 12 year veteran school bus driver and I can attest that we would be completely defenseless if a person boarded a school bus with bad intentions. I am a NRA Firearms Instructor and I would gladly take any additional training deemed necessary. I'm not as concerned for my safety as I am for my children. We face at least 3 threats everyday:
1. A student with a mental illness who brings a weapon
2. A parent who is angry at the driver or another student
3. A terrorist who desires to harm as many as he can.
Many drivers have routes in very rural areas in Ga as I do. All a person with bad intentions has to do is conceal themselves in the woods and take me out and the children would not have a chance.
The police would never get there in time. My bus stopped running a couple of weeks ago and it took over 30 minutes for help to get to me. I still had 17 kids on the bus but I have as many as 75 at times.
Now I want everyone to think about something for a moment. As tragic as it is when a parent loses a child in these senseless killings, imagine losing all of your children. This could very well happen in this situation because we have pre k -12th grade on our buses and the siblings would be together unless they are playing a sport. I have even suggested allowing the SRO's to ride the buses like air marshalls. You would never know when or where they are riding. It wouldn't protect many children but it's better than nothing. Please everyone think about this. We've got to be one step ahead of the criminals, not one step behind them. Our children are the most precious assets that we have. They deserve better.
Sincerely,
Rick

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
2 things:
I don’t think the “I demand” or overall hostile tone of the first letter is likely to endear the principal to your position, especially since she can’t do anything about it short of giving written permission slips to every GWCL holder in the county. The letter to the legislators was much more positive.

I think it’s a bad idea to offer a training endorsement or enhanced license just for K-12 carry. The ask should be to add GWCL holders to 16-11-130, and if there’s pushback, to see if they’d pass legislation creating an enhanced permit with training that would be on the 16-11-130 list.

There are too many other off-limits locations that would be fixed by a 16-11-130 exemption that we shouldn’t give up on right off the bat. It might actually be politically easier to market a new, “safer” permit that just adds one category of person to a long list of people who have safely carried everywhere for decades than it would be to push specifically for K-12 carry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2 things:
I don't think the "I demand" or overall hostile tone of the first letter is likely to endear the principal to your position, especially since she can't do anything about it short of giving written permission slips to every GWCL holder in the county. The letter to the legislators was much more positive.

I think it's a bad idea to offer a training endorsement or enhanced license just for K-12 carry. The ask should be to add GWCL holders to 16-11-130, and if there's pushback, to see if they'd pass legislation creating an enhanced permit with training that would be on the 16-11-130 list.

There are too many other off-limits locations that would be fixed by a 16-11-130 exemption that we shouldn't give up on right off the bat. It might actually be politically easier to market a new, "safer" permit that just adds one category of person to a long list of people who have safely carried everywhere for decades than it would be to push specifically for K-12 carry.[/

Could we just get licensed under 43-10-38? I know we would have to go through the armed security training but it's not that expensive. I think it's 40 hours including the firearms training. The law says that you are exempted from the prohibited areas listed but the sticking point may be we could only have it at our security job or "post" or be enroute directly to or from. Bus drivers might could get clearance from their respective districts with this training. Just food for thought. Our state leaders really need to come together on this. We have spent a lot of money adding security measures to the schools which is good but we've done nothing to protect them on the buses. It's only a matter of time before the criminal element discovers this. I agree too that the simplest thing to do is add GWCL to 16-11-130 but I'm not sure that would ever happen without some training requirements.
Rick

·
Well Aged Member
2,127 Posts
I agree with GoDores in regards to the use of "I demand", and I also think the sentence, "It's beyond me how some supposedly "educated" people cannot see the truth of that." is inflammatory and unnecessary. I'm not saying I disagree with the sentiment, I agree completely. It's just an insult that detracts from the primary (and accurate) point of your missive to Dr. Williams.

Phil1979 you are to be applauded resoundingly for taking this action to nudge the bureaucracy towards remediating the horrific danger they place children in with their imbecilic no guns policy. =D&gt; :righton: I wish more parents would do the same.

I hope you'll take my critique in the constructive manner in which it is intended.

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
Could we just get licensed under 43-10-38? I know we would have to go through the armed security training but it's not that expensive. I think it's 40 hours including the firearms training. The law says that you are exempted from the prohibited areas listed but the sticking point may be we could only have it at our security job or "post" or be enroute directly to or from. Bus drivers might could get clearance from their respective districts with this training. Just food for thought. Our state leaders really need to come together on this. We have spent a lot of money adding security measures to the schools which is good but we've done nothing to protect them on the buses. It's only a matter of time before the criminal element discovers this. I agree too that the simplest thing to do is add GWCL to 16-11-130 but I'm not sure that would ever happen without some training requirements.
Rick
(Note: for anyone who wants to read the relevant code, it's actually 43-38-10.)

The big problem is that those licenses are may-issue by a board geared to deal with security companies. (It looks like there are actually two licenses: one to be a security guard in 43-38-7 and then one to be armed while working in 43-38-10, which requires you to have both the 43-38-7 license and a GWCL.) The law doesn't specifically say you have to be employed as a security guard, but the application requires you to list your employer and requires employers to notify the board if you leave their employment. I'm guessing as a practical matter they won't issue licenses to people who aren't security guards, and will revoke the license of anyone who leaves such a job and doesn't get another one.

Interestingly, 43-38-10(d) authorizes an open carry security guard permit, and 43-38-10(e) authorizes a concealed carry permit. Only section D mentions the restriction to carry only while to or at work, so if you were to get the board to issue you a concealed permit, and they didn't add restrictions to it, you'd be exempt from off-limits locations at all times.

School boards can already authorize bus drivers to carry at work based on their authority under 16-11-130.1, and it looks like individual principals could also do so under 16-11-127.1(6).

·
Registered
4 Posts
(Note: for anyone who wants to read the relevant code, it's actually 43-38-10.)

The big problem is that those licenses are may-issue by a board geared to deal with security companies. (It looks like there are actually two licenses: one to be a security guard in 43-38-7 and then one to be armed while working in 43-38-10, which requires you to have both the 43-38-7 license and a GWCL.) The law doesn't specifically say you have to be employed as a security guard, but the application requires you to list your employer and requires employers to notify the board if you leave their employment. I'm guessing as a practical matter they won't issue licenses to people who aren't security guards, and will revoke the license of anyone who leaves such a job and doesn't get another one.

Interestingly, 43-38-10(d) authorizes an open carry security guard permit, and 43-38-10(e) authorizes a concealed carry permit. Only section D mentions the restriction to carry only while to or at work, so if you were to get the board to issue you a concealed permit, and they didn't add restrictions to it, you'd be exempt from off-limits locations at all times.

School boards can already authorize bus drivers to carry at work based on their authority under 16-11-130.1, and it looks like individual principals could also do so under 16-11-127.1(6).
Thank you so much for the info. Sorry I transposed the numbers on the code. I hope we all can continue to press our legislators to enable us to not only protect ourselves but to protect these innocent children in all places.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Sincerely,

Dr. Tereka Williams
Principal
Without knowing anything about her beyond her name, why do I think the good Dr. would not be open minded to the use of anything that expels a projectile as a result of the energy of an explosive charge?

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Could we just get licensed under 43-10-38? I know we would have to go through the armed security training but it's not that expensive. I think it's 40 hours including the firearms training.
Beyond the fact that this may not be actually applicable in this case, 40 hours is a major time investment for anybody, especially if you're not being paid for that time. Having GWCL holders added to OCGA 16-11-130 is far simpler.

·
Swollen Member
11,945 Posts
More than anything in GA, I want K-all-college carry.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
I agree with GoDores in regards to the use of "I demand", and I also think the sentence, "It's beyond me how some supposedly "educated" people cannot see the truth of that." is inflammatory and unnecessary. I'm not saying I disagree with the sentiment, I agree completely. It's just an insult that detracts from the primary (and accurate) point of your missive to Dr. Williams.
Considering that many if not most bureaucrats pay lip service to those who pay their salaries, I see nothing wrong with expressing your state of anger and dismay to these parasites of our "educational" system.

Reactions: Phil1979
1 - 14 of 14 Posts